PETER WARNER is
one of the successful farmers and stock-raisers who have worked out
their career in Benton county, and he has attained a fair degree of
material wealth and a position of influence in his home community. He
resides with his sister, Mrs. H. M. Scott, on farm of one hundred and
sixty acres which they own in partnership, and which is conducted by
Mr. Warner and Mr. Scott.
Mr. Warner was born in Northampton county, Pennsylvania, March 31,
1858, being a son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Correll) Warner. Jacob, whose
grandfather came over from Germany, was born in 1817, in Warren county,
New Jersey, and at the age of five moved with the family to Northampton
county Pennsylvania, where he was reared and lived until 1872, when he
came to Benton county, Iowa. He was a miller by trade, but was engaged
in farming after he came to Benton county, and he acquired the
excellent farm on which his son and daughter now live in Taylor
township. He died October 12, 1897. He was a member of the Lutheran
church. His wife, Elizabeth Correll, was born in Pennsylvania, October
16, 1819, and died at the home in Benton county November 1, 1886. They
were the parents of six children: Ellen W., wife of Frank S. Bender, of
Vinton; Howard, who died at the age of eleven months; Erwin, a farmer
of Taylor township, married Becky Stewart; Catherine A. is the wife of
Henry Steinmetz, a farmer near Vinton; Peter; and Gertrude A., who
married H. M. Scott.
Mr. Scott is a native of Benton county, and his mother and brothers
reside in Vinton. In the Spanish-American war he served as first
sergeant of Company G, of the Forty-ninth Iowa. He has since continued
in the national guard service, and is now first lieutenant and
commanding officer of the local company. He is also assessor of Taylor
township, being a Republican in politics.
Mr. Warner is independent in politics. Both he and Mr. Scott affiliate
with the Knights of Pythias and the Modern Woodmen of America at
Vinton, and Mrs. Scott is a member of the Pythian Sisters, the Royal
Neighbors and the M. B. A., also of the Presbyterian church.