GEORGE W. ROBINSON, of Garrison, Iowa, who has practically retired from active life, was born in Warren township, Jennings county, Indiana, February 6, 1836, and is a son of H. M. and Martha (Brandon) Robinson, both probably born in Kentucky. His paternal grandfather emigrated from Scotland. The Brandon family had lived many years in Pennsylvania, but moved to Kentucky and later to Indiana; George Robinson's maternal grandmother was a cousin of the famous Kit Carson.
H. M. Robinson died when George was seven years of age, on June 18, 1843, aged about thirty-three years, and his mother married (second) in October 1848, John Buckles; they removed to a farm just west of South Bend, and later went to southern Michigan, where Mr. Buckles died in January, about 1891. Mrs. Buckles died in Smyrna, Nebraska, October 21, 1891, in her eighty-fourth year. H. M. Robinson and his wife had one son and three daughters; two daughters are deceased, and the youngest one now lives in Los Angeles, California. By her second marriage, Mrs. Buckles had but one child, who died in infancy.
George W. Robinson was reared in Indiana. He was seven years old when his father died; his mother married again when he was about twelve years of age, but as he couldn't get along with his step father he in the fall at the age of fifteen left home and worked on a farm for his board during the winter and attended country school. In the following spring he hired to work on a farm for seven dollars a month, the next year receiving nine dollars a month and the third year he got ten dollars. He saved his money and after he married rented land in Indiana for about three years, and then came to Benton county, Iowa, September 18, 1863; his guardian had previously on October 30, 1855, secured four hundred and eighty acres of land for him and his two sisters and this land remained in their possession until 1887, when one-half of it was sold to George Reiss. But the guardian had failed and neglected paying the taxes on the land in this county and it had been sold for taxes. Mr. Robinson paid them and only had three dollars and fifty cents left after redeeming the land. He chopped wood, husked corn and did anything to make a living. Mr. Robinson has followed farming most of his life, although he spent one year in a mill in Vinton when a young man, and spent two years, 1878-80, in Colorado. For several years he has leased his farm, and formerly raised fine graded stock; he was one of the first farmers of the vicinity to tile his land, and now has some four thousand rods of tiling. He has resided in Garrison some twelve years past, but still owns two fine farms in Big Grove township, one of two hundred and eighty acres and one of one hundred and sixty acres, both well improved and containing good buildings. He was an industrious and enterprising farmer, and has spent most of his life in this occupation. Before coming to Benton county he had done some farming, also operated a threshing machine, and also spent one fall with a threshing machine on first coming to Benton county. In the latter place he has made his fortune, and is one of the most successful farmers in the county. Politically he has always been a Republican, and he has served as trustee of Big Grove township and in various other offices. He belongs to the Masonic order, including the Knights Templars and Vinton Cyrus Commandery, and his wife attends the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Robinson married, September 9, 1880, Mrs. Lucy E. Anderson, nee Shattuck, a native of Vermont, who came to Iowa in 1855 when a child of about twelve years, and they have children as follows: Stella, wife of E. J. Barkdoll, of Big Grove township; and Wilbur R., operating a farm in Big Grove township. Mr. Barkdoll was born and reared in Jackson township; he and his wife have one son, Gerald. Wilbur R. Robinson married Dora, daughter of Levi Eggleston, of Eden township, who died April 30, 1909, leaving one daughter, Ada Marie.
Picture of George W. Robinson