SAMUEL M. EDMOND,
whose home in Vinton is at the corner of Ellis and Benton streets, is a
veteran of the Civil war and a former successful farmer who has lived
in retirement for a number of years in this town. He was born in New
York city, February 3, 1836. His parents were John and Isabell (Nesbit)
Edmond. One of his mother's brothers was a quartermaster in the Mexican
John Edmond was born in county Tyrone, Ireland, and with three of his
brothers emigrated to America when eighteen years old. In New York city
he opened a large grocery store, and was successful until the panic of
1837. Meeting with heavy losses, John Edmond then moved to Pittsburg,
and for three years was a salesman for McCauley Brothers. Having
previously purchased a farm of two hundred acres near Titusville, on
account of his wife's health he moved to this farm and cleared off the
heavy timber and was engaged in cultivating the place about seven
years. From injuries received in an accident he died in 1848.
At the time of this unfortunate event in the family Samuel M. Edmond
was twelve years old, and the oldest of the six children that were thus
left dependent on their mother. She retained her health and managed to
support her children, and continued to live on her farm for seven
years, when she married Benjamin Harrison. She died in 1874. All the
children but one are living.
Mr. Edmond remained on the homestead farm with his mother and improved
the estate and finally bought out the other heirs. In the meantime, in
1862, he enlisted at Titusville, in Company D, Eighteenth Pennsylvania
Cavalry, and saw long and arduous service in the Army of the Potomac.
He served under the cavalry leader Kilpatrick during the Gettsyburg
campaign, and was behind Sheridan and Custer during the campaign up the
Shenandoah valley. In the latter the regiment to which he belonged had
been called up and were assisting in holding the center when General
Sheridan made his famous return, and later this regiment charged and
turned a Confederate regiment and was the first to take up the pursuit
of the retreating Confederates. It assisted in the recapture of several
Federal cannons and also took some forty Confederate guns. The
following winter the regiment spent near Harper's Ferry, and then
returned and scouted up and down the Shenandoah valley. Mr. Edmond was
in the service until June 15, 1865. On January 3, 1864, he was captured
between Bristow and Catlett's station on the Orange & Alexandria
Railroad by six of Mosby's guerillas, and after being robbed was taken
before Colonel Mosby, talked with that leader, and was then sent to the
provost marshal of General Stuart's cavalry camp near Orange court
house, Virginia. He was sent on to Richmond and before being confined
in Libby he was searched and again robbed. He was turned into a pen
called "Scott's prison" in the city of Richmond, and a day or two later
was sent to Belle Island in the James river above Richmond, where he
remained until the latter part of February, 1864. Becoming ill and
being sent to the hospital was the only thing that prevented his being
transferred to Andersonville. Finally on May 2, 1864, he was paroled
and was with the four hundred prisoners who reached Annapolis, almost
dead from starvation, scurvy and other hardships of the rebel prisons.
In an engagement with Jeb Stuart's cavalry at Hanover, Pennsylvania,
Mr. Edmond was struck by a bullet which passed through the carbine and
sabre belts where they crossed and broke his breast bone and finally
lodged in a Testament which he carried in his pocket.
After discharge from the army Mr. Edmond returned to the farm in
Crawford county, Pennsylvania, but it was a year before he was able to
resume active work, and he had poor health for a number of years after
that. It was on account of his health that he finally moved out to
Benton county in 1876, buying a farm in Jackson township. He was
engaged in farming until about twenty years ago, when he moved to
Vinton and has since lived practically retired from active labor. He
still owns a farm of one hundred and thirty-two acres in Jackson
township. He and his wife have spent three winters in California.
Mr. Edmond married, in 1861, before going to war, Miss Rebecca St.
Clair, of Crawford county. She died on the farm in Benton county,
August 30, 1879, leaving three children: One son, William B., had died
in Pennsylvania, February 12, 1873, aged six years and five months;
Essabella died in 1886, in her sixteenth year; John A., who was born
October 14, 1862, in Pennsylvania, lives at Vinton and is engaged in
the U. S. mail service; Albert H., who was born in Benton county,
November 28, 1877, conducts a shop for galvanized steel work at Long
Beach. Both the sons are married and each has two children. On January
12, 1882, Mr. Edmond married for his second wife Miss Eliza B. Curry, a
resident of Venango county, Pennsylvania, near Titusville, being a
native of that state and of an old family.
In Pennsylvania Mr. Edmond served two terms of five years each as
justice of the peace, being commissioned by Governors Gear and
Hartranft. His fellow Republicans elected him to a similar office in
this county, but he did not qualify. He is a member and has served as
commander and in other offices of P. M. Coder Post, No. 98, G. A. R.
Mrs. Edmond has served as president, secretary and treasurer of the
Vinton Women's Relief Corps. They are both members of the Presbyterian
church of Vinton.