Taggart, G.M., clerk.
Taggart, J.A., harness maker.
Taggart, Samuel, farmer, Sec. 17.
Tanhill, G.W., money loaner.
Taylor, J.W., harness maker.
Taylor, D.J., carpenter.
Tewkesbery, W.A., attorney.
Thatcher, Samuel L., farmer; born in Vermont, Oct. 28, 1819; lived in that State twenty-four years; came to Wisconsin, and was engaged in selling agricultural implements; came to Benton Co. in 1860; has been engaged in farming and in ditching and draining by machinery and in moving buildings; when he came he had nothing and was $1,000 in debt, and now owns over 300 acres of land. Married Miss Sarah J. Baley, from Pennsylvania; they have two children-Ida and James.
Thayer, D.W., farmer, Sec.22.
Thompson, J.C., bridge builder.
Tilford, John S., retired; born in Clark Co., Ind., July 30, 1811; lived there until 1832, when he enlisted in the U.S. service in the Black Hawk War; he was in the Ranger Corps; Captain Ford commanded the company, and when they reached Rock Island they were under General Scott, and four companies of them went South to make treaties with the several tribes; he returned to Johnson Co., Ind., and was engaged in the cabinet and coffin business; in 1850, he came to Iowa and located land, and in April 1851 came here to reside; he entered the land upon which part of the city is now built; only three persons here now that were here when he came; there were more Indians than white people here then; owns several farms, and has been identified with all the interests of the county. Married Margaret J. Young, from Franklin, Johnson Co., Ind, April 21, 1835; they have three children-J.Y. Tilford, Mrs. Ann J. Hanford and Helen A. Tracy; they have lost three children.
Tilford, John Y., farmer and stock raiser, Sec. 14; born in Franklin Co., Ind., Feb. 11, 1836; lived there until sixteen years of age; came to Vinton in April, 1852; one of the early settlers here, there being only a few persons here now that were here when he came; owns farm of 120 acres. Married Miss Mahala Harper, from Ohio, in 1857; she died in 1872, leaving three children-Cora M., Margaret A. and Minnie L. Married Miss Hattie Wilcox from near Columbus, Ohio, in Nov. 1873; they have one son-John E. Tilford.
Tilson, W.A., laborer.
Tinker, G.S., drayman.
Tinkham, Jacob L., firm of Tinkham & Miller, grocers; born in Franklin Co., Ohio, Jan. 2, 1832; lived there twenty-six years, and came to Benton Co., Iowa in 1858-to Marysville; engaged in cabinet making and building business. Was in the army; enlisted in 8th Iowa V.I., Company D; was in battle of Shiloh, and was taken prisoner; after going to Tuscaloosa and Montgomery, was paroled, and returned to his regiment; was in the Vicksburg campaign; was slightly wounded at Memphis during the Forrest raid; was in the campaign against Mobile. Returned here in 1866, and engaged in business with Levi S. Miller; holds office of Town Trustee, and has held town and school offices. Married Virginia M. Mossman, from Ohio, in 1862; they have two children-Edwin M. and Bertha L.; lost two children-Leslie and baby.
Titus, Calvin, laborer.
Tobin, Thomas. The subject of this biography was born in Ireland Aug. 15, 1835; his father's name was Richard Tobin, who died when the professor was a child; he lost his mother when 7 or 8 years of age; then the family was broken up, the oldest members, two brothers and two sisters, coming to America, leaving Mr. Tobin and a young sister, orphans, in a county then passing through the period of the famine, when the crops failed to be harvested three years. During these three years the children lived upon what the hand of friendship could in these trying times supply. In 1850, one of the brothers mentioned above, Richard Tobin, now of Oswego, N.Y., sent money to Ireland for his young brother, then about 15 years of age; the lad started for America, without friends or education, and landed in New York hatless and barefoot, not having a single penny in the world; two years afterward he learned his letters, went to school and passed rapidly through the common school; although he attended school in the Winter, he made such progress that his friends advised him to seek higher advantages; in 1857, he left Long Island and venturing upon the road to learning, entered Fort Edward Collegiate Seminary; there he met Prof. S.A. Knapp and wife. After enduring many vicissitudes in the preparatory and collegiate courses, he graduated in June 1862, and was ordained to preach the Gospel in the Baptist Church in 1863. He often remarks that he spent three months in school during which time he had not money enough to buy a postage stamp. He has taught some part of each year since, with fair success. In 1868, Mr. Tobin learned for the first time since he came to America where his brother who had sent for him was; the meeting was a joyous one; at that time, also, he learned that the little sister whom he had left in Ireland had also come to America, was married and settled near Green Bay, Wis., in the enjoyment of a large, smart, healthy family, one of which, C. McCarty, now is in the Academy. The brother of whom we have spoken still resides in Oswego, N.Y., and among other sources of happiness rejoices to see the little orphans, whom he so kindly remembered in sending them his hard earned money, so well situated in this life, and honor and a comfort to himself. In March, 1871, Mr. Tobin came to Vinton, and through the advice of Prof. Knapp, he laid out all he had accumulated in the enterprise now known as Tilford Academy; within six days after Mr. Tobin landed in Vinton, the plan for the Academy was completed, and thirteen teams and twenty-five men were at work upon the grounds and builiding, setting out trees, grading, etc., and within five months from the time of commencing, the Professor had completed and furnished the Academy; had gone to Vermont, married, returned and had a school of one hundred students in full and successful operation. When the Academy was dedicated, Prof. S.A. Knapp delivered the address in Watson's Hall in which he quoted, by way of recommendation, what the President of the Institution from which Mr. Tobin graduated said of him "he can be depended upon." Mr. T. has been before the public and the people of Benton Co. for the last seven years; he has organized and conducted a first-class Academy, with but little help from the community and in no wise connected with a Church or State; and to-day Tilford Academy, with its fine buildings, furniture and surroundings is known to Benton Co. and a large portion of Iowa, and merits to be considered worthy of favor and patronage. The institution , with all its equiptments, cost over $26,000. It is well arranged for 125 students and five teachers; everything is taught that the public requires; sixty students find a good home in the Academy building. The buildings are well calculated for school and school purposes and are the special pride of Vinton and Benton County. Prof. Tobin has been aided from the beginning by his excellent and accomplished wife, Allie C., daughter of Philip and Mary Griswold, of Castletown, Vt., to whom he owes much of the success and efficientcy of the institution. Mrs. Tobin has also acquired a high reputation as an artist; as a teacher she has no superior, and is highly beloved by all who know her. Mr. Tobin is also happy in the company and assistance of his nephew, T.F. Tobin, son of the brother and benefactor spoken of above; this young man has made rapid improvements in his studies, and has worked his way through and up to the Sophomore year in College, and is determined to go through the highest available course. He is a good teacher and higly esteemed by all who know him. The State and Nation will hear from him yet, and be pleased to honor him. The Professor's life and success thus far should stimulate our young meant to look forward to the privileges and opportunites they have to enjoy, of the life before them, and it should be an incentive and inducement to noble undertakings and perseverence. Young men, so live that men of worth and integrity can say of you, "he can be depended upon."
Thompson, C., retired farmer.
Traer, J.C., Dr., of the firm Traer Bros., bankers; born in Knox Co., Ohio, Sept. 7, 1825, and came to Iowa in 1845, and lived in Muscatine Co., one year and in Cedar Co. one year, and in Cedar Rapids three years; came to Benton Co. in August, 1851, and is one of the earliest settlers here; he practiced medicine several years; was the first physician in Vinton; he studied law, and has practiced his profession for twenty years; has also been engaged in the banking business since 1855; he was a member of the Constitutional Convention in 1857, and has held the office of Mayor two years. Married Miss M.W. Ferguson, from Portage Co., Ohio, in November 1849; they have eight children-William N., Florence E., George E., Glenwood, Jesse F., Mary, James F., and Clifford A.
Traer, U.E., physician.
Traer, William Montgomery, of the banking house of Traer Bros.; was born in Vinton, Benton Co., May 21, 1852; he is the first person that was born in Vinton, and he has lived here twenty-six years; he has been connected with the active management of the bank since 1871. Married Miss Delia Boggs, daughter of A.W. Boggs, Esq., of this county, Sept. 4, 1873; they have two children-James Ferguson and William Traer, Jr.
Tyron, Jesse, farmer.
Tyler, Fred, butter and egg dealer.