WILLIAM C. YAGER.
There could be no more comprehensive history written of a city or county, or even of a state and its people, than that which deals with the life work of those who. by their own endeavors and indomitable energies, have placed themselves in positions entitling them to be called progressive citizens. In this sketch will be found the record of one who has outstripped those less active and less able on the highway of life; one who has not been subdued by the many obstacles and failures which come to everyone, but who has made them stepping stones to higher things, and one who at the same time that he was winning his way in the material affairs of life gained a reputation for uprightness and honor.
William C. Yager was born on April 4, 1848, in Highland county, Ohio, the son of Albert T. and Sina (Tyler) Yager, both natives of Virginia, who moved to Ohio during their youth with their respective parents and there were married. Subsequently, they moved to Iowa, settling in Jefferson county in 1848. They were the parents of nine children, of whom William C, the subject of this sketch, was the eldest. The other children were Joseph E., John M. (deceased). May M., Sarah F., Ella F., James Franklin and Clayborne. Albert T. Yager was a coach-maker by trade early in life, and in later years studied medicine and became a practicing physician. He came to Audubon county in 1876 and practiced medicine here until his death. His son, William C. Yager, the subject of this sketch, is now the owner of one hundred and twenty acres of fine land in Viola township, where he makes his home.
In September, 1872, William C. Yager was married to Margarette Booton, who was born on January 14, 1852, the daughter of Vamzyl G. and Catherine (Brant) Booton, the former of whom was born in Gallia county, Ohio, October 28, 1828, and the latter of whom was born on September 18, 1828. Vamzvl G. Booton moved from Ohio, where he remained for six years working as a day laborer. In 1861 he moved to Jefferson county, Iowa, and in that same year enlisted in Company D, Nineteenth Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry, for service in the Civil War. He served three years, being mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, in July, 1865. He returned to Jefferson county, Iowa, and lived there for four years, at the end of which time he moved to Jasper county, Iowa, where he lived four years. He then, in 1876, came to Audubon county and located in Viola township, where he was engaged as a farmer and carpenter until he retired and moved to Coon Rapids, where he lived for twenty years, after which he returned to this county and is now making his home with William C. Yager and wife. Vamzyl G. and Catherine (Brant) Booton were the parents of eight children, Alargarette, Ella, Dora (deceased), Minnie, Charles, Frank (deceased), William and Albertus.
To William C. and Margarette (Booton) Yager there has been born one child, a son, Fred M., who married Ella Campbell. They live in Viola township and have four children, Gretta, Gifford C, Winifred C. and Erma.
Mr. Yager served one term as township trustee of Viola township and has also served as road supervisor. He is not a member of any lodge and has never been identified with any fraternal organization. He and his family are members of the Methodist church and liberal contributors to its support. Mr. Yager is an ardent Democrat, though he has never held any important political office, and has never been a candidate for office.
Contributed by Cheryl Siebrass, February 16, 2016, from History of Audubon County, Iowa Its People, Industries and Institutions With Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families, by H. F. Andrews, editor, Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Company, 1915, pp. 578-579.