CHARLES A. PARDEE.
Charles A. Pardee, the proprietor of "Pleasant View Farm," in Greeley township, Audubon county, Iowa, and one of the well known farmers of this township, was born on August 7, 1867, in Johnson county, Iowa, the son of Edward L. and Marinda (Burdick) Pardee, natives of New York and Vermont, respectively. The latter came to Iowa with her parents, and the former was a young man when he came to Iowa alone. He was a soldier in the Civil War, serving in the Twenty-second Iowa Infantry as a private for three years, and was wounded in the hand at the battle of Port Gibson. In 1871 the family moved to Pottawattamie county, Iowa, where the father purchased land. In 1881 he again removed to Audubon county, Iowa, where he purchased a farm in Lincoln township, living there until 1890, about which time he made several moves, finally purchasing a farm south of Walnut, Iowa, where he lived for several years. Subsequently, however, he retired and moved to Omaha, where he lived until his death, and where the mother is still living. They were the parents of nine children, as follow: Mrs. Eva Travis, Edwin L., Charles A., George, Mrs. Mary Martin, Mrs. Etta Martin, William, Mrs. Inez Lahr and Roy.|
Charles A. Pardee lived at home until twenty-one years of age, having in the meantime received a common-school education. After leaving home he worked out at farm work in the summer and taught school in the winter, teaching seven or eight terms of school in Lincoln township.
About 1892 Mr. Pardee purchased eighty acres of land in Lincoln township, and farmed it for one year before he was married. After his marriage he rented his farm out and he himself rented one hundred and sixty acres of land, selling his eighty-acre farm in 1897. In 1906 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land north of Ross in Cameron township, living there until 1909, when he purchased two hundred acres of land in section 11, Greeley township. Although fairly well improved at the time he purchased it, Mr. Pardee has built another large barn and has made many minor improvements. The farm has been named and registered as the "Pleasant View Farm." Mr. Pardee is engaged in general farming and stock raising; he owns a few thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle, but has never undertaken to make a specialty of raising this breed. Gradually, however, he expects to acquire only thoroughbred live stock of all kinds.
On May, 1897, Charles A. Pardee was married in Manning, Carroll county, Iowa, to Celia Martin, who was born, July 22, 1871, in Fulton county, Illinois, and who is the daughter of John and Jane (Roy) Martin, who came to Audubon county about 1884. Mrs. Pardee is a sister of the two Martin boys who married Mr. Pardee's two sisters. Mr. and Mrs. Pardee are the parents of eight children: Earl, born on June 22, 1898; Giles, December 29, 1900; Grace, June 29, 1902; Ernest, November 19, 1904; Irma, November 22, 1906; Wayne, November 17, 1908; Mary, August 2, 1910, and Bernard, May 22, 1912.
Upon the formation of the Progressive party, Mr. Pardee identified himself with this organization. For many years he has been a loyal and devoted follower of Colonel Roosevelt, and has held firmly to the policies for which he stands. The only office which he has ever held is that of township constable.
For many years Charles A. Pardee has been considered an influential man in the community in which he lives. He is a man who is well read and well informed and who not only has kept himself fully advised as to present-day progress in farming, but in other lines of endeavor as well. He has many friends in this section of Audubon county. The Pardee family are all members of the Catholic church.
Transcribed from History of Audubon County, Iowa Its People, Industries and Institutions With Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families, by H. F. Andrews, editor, Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Company, 1915, pp. 743-744.