IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1915 Bios Index

ABRAHAM L. MCMURPHY.

Abraham L. McMurphy, general farmer and stockman, of Lincoln township, Audubon county, was born on May 6, 1864, at Muscatine, Iowa. He is a son of Charles and Martha McMurphy. He attended the public schools at Muscatine, after which he worked with his father on the farm, until twenty-one years of age. He then came to Audubon county, working for two years as a farm hand, and in 1887 rented a farm in Audubon county and lived there one year, at the end of which time he moved to Carrol [sic Carroll] county, where he again rented, for three years, and then came to section 29 in Lincoln township, Audubon county, where he bought eighty acres, to which five years later he added eighty acres more, and three years after that forty acres additional.

Mr. McMurphy has invested about eight thousand dollars in improvements on his home place, and his special attention, in the way of crops, has been devoted to the raising of corn and small grain, the most of which has been fed to the stock on the place, of which he sells yearly quite a number of cattle and about one carload of hogs.

Mr. McMurphy has served as township trustee for a period of one year. Hie is a member of the Methodist church. His political principles are Republican.

The father of the subject of this sketch was born in New York state, and his mother in Pennsylvania. They were married in Muscatine, Iowa, where they owned two hundred acres of land, and where they spent the last years of their lives.

Abraham L. McMurphy was married, in 1891, at Manning, Iowa, to Laura Arny, daughter of Levi and Sinda Arny. They have been blessed with five children, as follow: Virnal, Harry, Ralph, Eli and Myrtle, all of whom are at home but Virnal, who is married and lives in Audubon county.



Transcribed from History of Audubon County, Iowa Its People, Industries and Institutions With Biographical Sketches of Representative Citizens and Genealogical Records of Many of the Old Families, by H. F. Andrews, editor, Indianapolis: B. F. Bowen & Company, 1915, pp. 859-860.
Copyright
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top