IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


W


THOMAS WALKER has been identified with the history of Audubon County since 1865. He was born in England, June 30, 1824, and is a son of William and Mary (Sherman) Walker.He received a good common-school education in his native country, and in 1841 he went to London and clerked for a number of years. On February 3, 1850, he sailed for America, and landed in the city of New York, March 16.Thence he went to New Jersey, and was there employed on afarm for two years; after which he drifted west to the State of Ohio. He did not remain there long, but returned to New Jersey, and then removed to La Porte, Indiana, and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1865 Mr. Walker moved west to Audubon County, Iowa, and was variously employed until 1872, when he was elected clerk of the Audubon County court, a position which he has filled ably, and for which service he was paid the extravagant sum of $14 per month! He resigned this position, and went to grubbing to make money faster. Collecting his money together he started a store in Oakfield on a small scale, and later he associated himself withother parties. In 1875 he was elected county auditor for a term of two years, and was twice reelected. Healso served as deputy two years under W.F. Stotts. On retiring from office he engaged in the realestate and abstract business. He owns some valuable town lots and some property which he rents. At present he is city and township assessor, township clerk, and notary public.In 1877 Mr. Walker was united in marriage to Lena Delahoyde, of Exira, Iowa. Mr. Walker is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M.; of Amity Chapter, No. 93, R. A. M.; and of Godfrey Commandery, No. 44, K. T.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 716.



HON. WILLIAM WALKER has been identified with the interests of Audubon County since the year 1855.He was born in Huron County, Ohio, March 2, 1834, and is the son of Joseph and Catherine (Sheridan) Walker. His father was a native of England, and emigrated to America when a young man.His mother was a native of Ireland, and was brought to this country when a child. After his marriage Joseph Walker settled in Huron County, remaining less than one year; he then removed to Berrien County, Michigan, and settled on a farm, there passing the remainder of his days. He died in 1867; his wife, who survives him, occupies the old homestead in Michigan; she is the mother of ten children, five sons and five daughters.William spent his youth on his father's farm, where his services were usually in demand, as he was the oldest son. He received the advantage of a districtschool education, and at the age of twentyone years he forsook the ancestral roof and went to make his fortune in the far west, as Iowa was then considered.He preempted 160 acres of land in Andubon County, and entered 200 acres at $1.25 per acre; this secured to him a home which he began to improve as his means would allow.In February, 1857, Mr. Walker was married to Miss Nancy J. Bowen, the oldest daughter of W. H. and Elizabeth Bowen, who came to Audubon County in 1853.W. H. Bowen is still living at the age of seventyseven years, and his wife died in 1873.Mrs. Walker was among the pioneer school teachers of the county. After his marriage Mr. Walker settled on his farm on the west side of Troublesome Creek; this being a most excellent piece of land, Mr. Walker prospered, and as his means increased he invested in another farm on the east side of Troublesome Creek; this land is skirted on the north by a heavy belt of timber which affords the best protection to the livestock on this farm. Here Mr. Walker has erected a fine twostory frame residence, a large barn for horses, and numerous buildings for the protection of livestock. His landed estate at present numbers 1,500 acres, the greater portion of which is seeded down to grass. Large numbers of cattle are fattened annually on Mr. Walker's farm, and special attention is given to the breeding of the higher grades of livestock. Mr. and Mrs. Walker are the parents of nine children John E., Charles W. (deceased), Frances A. (deceased), Laura A., wife of J. D. Barhan; Ulysses S., Lula May, Oliver M., Eva and J. Grant.Mr. Walker has been politically identified with his county as a member of the Legislature, serving in the twentysecond session; he was elected on the Republicanticket in 1887. He has also served his township as clerk, trustee, and treasurer of the school district. He is a member of Exodus Lodge, No. 344, A. F. & A. M. Mr. Walker cast his first presidential vote for John C. Fremont. His grandfather, William Walker, was a soldier in the British army, and was present at the surrender of Cornwallis. Mr. Walker began life with small means, but his industry and good management have served him well, and today he is the owner of a handsome estate.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 744.



WILLIAM J. WALKER, an active farmer of Hamlin Township, was born in Pike County, Missouri, September 21, 1834. He is a son of Thomas B. and Polly (Berry) Walker. The father was born in Virginia, but was reared in the State of South Carolina; the mother was a native of Missouri, and died when William J. was three years old. Thomas Walker was again marned, to Susan E. Lyons, of Clinton County, Iowa, and resided in Iowa until his seventyfifth year, when he removed to southwestern Nebraska; he died there October 19, 1888, in his seventyninth year. He had three children by his first marriage and eight by the last. William J. Walker passed his boyhood and school days in Clinton County.He received the educational advantages of the district school, which were somewhat meager. He remained with his parents until his nineteenth year, when he was married to Matilda H. Mitchell, of Clinton County, Iowa. Mrs. Walker was born in Adrian, Michigan, and is the daughter of Charles M. and Elizabeth (Row) Mitchell; she came to Iowa with her parents when a child of eight years. After his marriage Mr. Walker settled on a farm in Clinton County, and resided there until 1877, when he removed to Audubon County, and located on his present farm in Hamlin Township.The place contains eighty acres of excellent land, and he has made many valuable improvements. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Walker Oscar E., in business in Omaha; Edward W., a farmer; Perry H. and Wilber L., both at home. Mr. Walker spent two years in Dakota, and improved a homestead there, but on account of the severe winters returned to Iowa.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 768.



VINCENT A. WALKUP, Superintendent of the Audubon County Poor Farm, took charge of this institution in 1888. The farm consists of 200 acres, formerly belonging to Michael O'Donnell, and was purchased by Audubon County for $7,000. It is situated one and a half miles south of the county seat, on the Bluegrass Creek. There is a beautiful natural grove on the farm, west of the house and barn, which affords fine shade in the summer and serves as a windbreak in the winter, besides adding very materially to the attractiveness of the place. Mr. Walkup was born in the State of Kentucky, January 8, 1844. He is a son of John and Nancy (West) Walkup, natives of Scotland. His mother was well educated and taught many terms of school in the South. She died in 1865. After the death of the mother, the father and family removed to Iowa and settled on a farm near Winterset, Madison County. Here the father passed the remainder of his days. He died in February, 1879.He was reared on a farm, and at the age of nineteen entered the Union army, Company L,Thirteenth Kentucky Cavalry, and went to the defense of his country. He took part in many skirmishes, and scoured a large territory.He was taken prisoner November 17, 1863, at Columbus, Kentucky. and was paroled several days afterward. He never lost a day when in active service, and was honorably discharged January 25, 1865. He removed to Madison County, Iowa, and settled on a farm near St. Charles, where he lived several years. In the spring of 1881 he came to Audubon and resided here six years.He built the first steam flourmill in Audubon, which he kept running for some time, but it was not a paying investment, and he retired from the business and took charge of the waterworks. He was appointed city marshal, in which capacity he served three years.Mr. Walkup was then appointed superintendent of the poor farm,a position he is well fitted to fill. Mr. Walkup was married in 1865 to Miss Ann Kinnaird, of Kentucky, a daughter of Joseph Kinnaird, a prominent farmer of that State. They are the parents of six children Robert A., Cornelia, wife of Samuel Fisher; Alexander, Joseph, Mack and Sylvester. Mr. Walkup is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M., of the I. O. O. F., of the Knights of Pythias, and of the G. A. R, Allison Post.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 729.



JOHN D. WAYCOFF, an active and successful farmer of Viola Township, was born in Greene County, Pennsylvania, near Waynesburgh, March 4, 1839. His father, Jacob Waycoff, was born in the Isle of Jersey, and when quite young his parents moved to the State of Maryland, where he grew to manhood. He then went to Greene County, Pennsylvania, and was there married to Miss Nancy Bowen. After his marriage Jacob Waycoff settled permanently in Greene County, and lived there until his death, which occurred in 1859, in his seventyfirst year. His wife, Nancy, died in 1879. They were the parents of twelve children, four of whom are deceased. John D. is the youngest son and the eleventh child. He grew to maturity in his native county, passing his youth in farm work and attending the common school.At the age of twenty Mr. Waycoff was married to Catherine Hunt, of Greene County, Pennsylvania, a daughter of Philip and Hannah J. (Darnell) Hunt. After marriage they settled in Greene County for a time, and then removed to Benton County, Iowa, remaining there ten years. In 1883 Mr. Waycoff removed his family to Audubon County, Iowa, and located on his present farm on section 7. The place contains 147 acres, all well improved. Twelve children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Waycoff, ten of whom are living Morgan J., Mary E., the wife of George V. Hartman; John E., Lewis J., Frank C., William J., George H., Oliver L., Samuel S. and Alonzo. Albert V. and Nettie May died in infancy. Mr. Waycoff has served as school director for nine years. He is a member of Florence Lodge, No. 404, I. O. O. F., and of the G. A. R. During the Rebellion he enlisted in the Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, Company F, and was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland, GeneralRosecranscommanding. The first sound of battle was at Antietam, and then followed many skirmishes and battles in which our subject did faithful service. After the battle of Mission Ridge he went through East Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, North Carolina and South Carolina, and at the surrender of General Lee was at Lincolnton, North Carolina. He followed Jeff Davis in his flight, and after his capture he went to Nashville, Tennessee, and was honorably discharged in June, 1865. He then returned to Greene County, Pennsylvania, and engaged in farming. Mr. and Mrs. Waycoff are members of theMethodist Episcopalchurch, worshiping at Earhart's school house. Mrs. Waycoff was born in West Virginia, September 1, 1839.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 796.



HIRAM Z. WEBSTER, an early settler and most worthy resident of Douglas Township, was born in Madison County, Illinois, near Alton, March 1, 1828. Zenas Webster, his father, was a welltodo farmer, and a native of Woodstock County, Vermont. He married Tarnel Palmer, a native of Vermont, and at an early day removed to Illinois, settling in Madison County, where he opened and improved a farm. He died about the year 1840, when Hiram was a lad of twelve years. After the death of his father our subject remained with his mother until he was twentythree years ofage. He wasthen married to Mary A. McGuire, of Warren County, Illinois.Soon after his marriage Mr. Webster removed to Ogle County, Illinois, and there resided eight years, following the occupation of afarmer. FromOgle County he went to Wood County, Illinois, and there made his home for several years. He then removed with his family to Marion County, and bought a farm seven miles north of Pella; there he carried on farming and stockraising on a large scale, residing there twenty years. Disposing of his farm in 1870, he came to Audubon County, purchasing a new farm in section 3, Douglas Township; it contains 320 acres, drained by the middle branch of the Nishnabotna River, and is admirably adapted to the raising of grains or for grazing purposes.When Mr. Webster settled there his nearest postoffice was Exira, where mail was received once a week. The products of the farm were hauled to Atlantic, oats selling for 9 cents per bushel, and corn for 14 cents; coal sold for $6.50 per ton, a disproportion so great, thatit is difficult to see how farmers managed to keep warm during the long, cold winters. Not finding a ready sale for his grain, Mr. Webster turned his attention to feeding stock, thus consuming all of his produce upon his farm. This he found much more profitable; of late years he has directed his attention to breeding draft horses, of the Clydesdale stock; he has formed a partnership with John Cameron, and they also breed fine grades of mules. This Mr. Webster does in connection with his farming and feeding. He ships annually from one to three carloads of stock.Mr. and Mrs. Webster are the parents of seven children Hamilton C., Elizabeth A., wife of Monroe Johnston; William D., Edith, wife of Albert Green; Harry, Carrie and Edna. For several years Mr. Webster has served as road supervisor; he has been an active Republican since the organization of the party. He commenced his career without means, but by honesty and industry he accumulated a good property for his declining years. He and his wife endured many hardships and privations incident to the settling of a new country, and are today enjoying their reward in peace and plenty, and the comforts of a modern civilization.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 816.



CHARLES H. WEEKS, deceased, was an old resident of Jones County, Iowa, who was born in the State of New York, November 22, 1833. His parents, Jacob B. and Hopey Weeks, removed to Iowa when he was a mere boy; here he grew to manhood, attending school in the winter, and working on his father's farm in the summer. He acquired a good knowledge of the branches taught in the district schools of that day; he remained with his parents until he reached his majority.He was married November 27, 1858, to Miss Martha J. Ferguson, the second daughterof Hans and Margaret (Shields) Ferguson, who was born and reared in the State of Pennsylvania. After her marriage to Mr. Weeks they settled on a farm in Jones County, Iowa, where they lived until the death of Mr. Weeks, which occurred in 1874.Mrs. Weeks was thus left with four children, two sons and two daughters Mary E., wife of J. H. Jones, of Audubon County; Fred R., who is at home and has the management of the farm; Victor C., who assists on the farm, and Maggie May. After the death of her husband Mrs. Weeks removed with her family to the farm of her brother, David Ferguson, where she has since resided. The farm contains 160 acres of wellimproved land, and she with the help of her two sons, carries on the farm work successfully; they have the place stocked with high grade cattle, hogs and horses.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 731.



ADELBERT L. WEVER, Recorder of Audubon County, is a native of New York, born April 8, 1849, near Syracuse. He was three years old when his parents moved to Illinois, where he grew to manhood. His father, Moses H. Wever, is a blacksmith by trade, and continued his work until he was in his seventieth year. He is now making his home with our subject.His wife, Addbert L. Wever's mother, was Catherine (Freedom) Vandenburg, of Dutch descent, who died when her five children were all quite young. Adelbert L. Wever attended the common school in his boyhood; he then entered Wheaton Academy, and afterward pursued his studies at the Baptist University at Burlington, Iowa, for one year. He then returned home and began farming, whichhe continued until 1873, when he removed to Stewart, Iowa. Here he engaged in the butcher's business for some years. In the fall of 1879 he came to Audubon and engaged in the grain trade. He managed the grain business for George Gray at this station, until he was elected to his office in 1886. He assumed the duties of this position January 3, 1887.He was reelected in the fall of 1888 by the largest majority that had ever been given any office since the organization of the county.Mr. Wever was married in 1878 to Miss Anna Walsh, of Stewart, Iowa, a native of County Sligo, Ireland, where she was reared.They have two children, a son and daughter George and Anna. Mr. Wever is a memberof theI. O. O. F., Audubon Encampment, No. 109; of the Knights of Pythias, No. 163, belonging to the uniformed rank, and of the Independent Order of Red Men, Nishnabotna, No. 8.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 717.



PEORIA I. WHITTED, exCounty Surveyor, Exira, Iowa, was born in Maury County, Tennessee, in the town of Williamsport, February 29, 1832. William Whitted, the father of P. I. Whitted, removed from Virginia to North Carolina, and was there married to Miss Arrena Howard, a native of Orange County, North Carolina, and a daughter of John Howard; site was born in 1796, and was the mother of thirteen children, eleven of whom lived to maturity. William Whitted and wife removed from North Carolina to Tennessee, and settled in Maury County, residing there until 1833, when they moved to Vigo County, Indiana; thence they went to Parke County, Indiana, and in 1838 they went to Vermillion County, Indiana. At this place the father engaged in packing pork; when going down the river he was taken with yellow fever and died; his wife late in life came to Cass County, Iowa, and resided there until her death, which occurred June 5,1862. Peoria, the subject, passed his youth in Indiana, and attended the district school. In 1845 the family removed to Keokuk County, Iowa, and here he grew to manhood. He entered the Methodist College at Muscatine, Iowa, and here pursued his studies for two years. In 1850 he went to Ottumwa, Iowa, and afterward entered the printing office of the Des Moines Courier; here he spent one year, then went on a government surveying expedition to Santa Fe, New Mexico. After an absence of six months he returned to Iowa City, and then engaged in the survey of the railroad from Davenport to Iowa City; this is now the Rock Island Railroad.In 1853 Mr. Whitted came to Audubon County, stopping at Hamlin's Grove; at this time there were only six houses in the county.Mr. Whitted acted as land agent, and assisted in the laying out of Omaha, Nebraska. He was appointed organizing sheriff, and called the first election held in the county; this was in April, 1855, and the cabin of John S. Jenkins was the voting place. On the first Monday of the following August a general election was held; Mr. Whitted was a candidate for county surveyor, and was elected; he soon after took charge of the office, and has held it for twentytwo years. After retiring from public office he continued the survey of private lands and roads. In the spring of 1857 he removed to Exira, and has since there made his home. Mr. Whitted was married February 28, 1860, to Miss Louisa C. Montgomery, of Exira, a daughter of L. B. and Fannie(Boyls) Montgomery; Mrs. Whitted was born in Hancock County, Illinois, and at the age of fifteen years came with her parents to Exira. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, and the mother was born in the State of New York; both are dead, and lie buried in the cemetery at Exira. Mr. Whitted and wife have had seven children born to them Clinton J., Mary, the wife of Albert Sewell; Minnie, wife of J. M. Barber; Forest, Elbridge, Carl C. and Clara B. Mr. Whitted is a member of the I. O. O. F.; he is present assessor of Exira.In national matters he votes the Democratic ticket. He owns two good farms, one in Exira Township and one in Hamlin Township, and five acres in his home place.Mrs. Whitted is a member of the Christian church, and is one of its most active members, as well as one of its liberal contributors. Mrs. Whitted's father, L. B. Montgomery, was one of the first settlers of Audubon County. He held the office of county superintendent of schools for two terms. He had a wide circle of friends and was greatly beloved by all who knew him.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 741.



PROF. CHARLES F. WILLCUTT, Superintendent of the Audubon County schools, was born in Franklin County, Massachusetts, August 26, 1841. He is the oldest son of George and Martiaette (Stanley) Willcutt, both natives of Massachusetts. George Willcutt was a farmer by occupation, and when his son Charles was four years old he removed with his family to Portage County, Ohio, in the section which is now known as the Western Reserve. The father died in 1852, his wife and three children surviving him. The mother of our subject was the daughter of Phineas Stanley, of English descent, three generations having been born in America. The greatgrandfather of Charles Willcutt, Zebedee Willcutt, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war. The Willcutts were of English descent. Charles F. passed his boyhood in Portage County, Ohio, attending the district school until his thirteenth year, during that time losing only two clays. The father dying about that time, the mother removed to Hiram, Ohio. There Charles entered what was called then the Western Reserve Eclectic Institute, which is now Hiram College. Here he pursued his studies four years, working on the farm during his vacations.At the age of seventeen years he began teaching school, boarding around among the pupils, thus earning money in the winter to pay schooling during tile spring and fall terms at the Eclectic Institute. Thus he passed four more years of life. At the age of twentythree years he removed to Sangamon County, Illinois, and there engaged in teaching three years. Here he was married to Miss Amelia B. Mason, a native of New York, and a daughter of Dr. Milton Mason.In 1867 he was elected principal of the third ward school in Springfield, Illinois, a position which he held for a period of eight years. After leaving Springfield he taught six years in Illinois. In 1881 Mr. Willcutt came to Exira and taught two terms of school. In 1883 he was elected to the office of county superintendent, a position he still holds, being reelected on the Republican ticket.Mr. and Mrs. Willcutt are the parents of four children George B., Jessie L., wife of Julius Herrick; Maud and Paul B. Mr. Willcutt has devoted the greater part of his active life to the profession of teaching, a profession than which there is none higher.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 730.



JAMES WILLOX has been a resident of Audubon County since 1878. He was born in Aberdeenshire, Scotland, August 22, 1852, and received his education in the common schools of his native country. He left school at the age of thirteen and entered a drygoods store, in which he was employed as clerk for six years. He then emigrated to America, landing at Portland, Maine. Thence he proceeded at once to Lake Forest, near Chicago, and clerked there for one year. He next went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he spent four months. The following four months were passed in Kansas City, Missouri. He went on to Georgetown, Colorado, and worked there in the mines two years.At the expiration of that time he returned to Lake Forest, and clerked there for two years. In the fall of 1878 he came to Audubon County, Iowa, as before stated. His first business was that of handling grain at the Exira station, which he continued until the spring of 1888. He then sold out and went on his farm, one and onehalf miles west of Exira. This place contains 320 acres, eighty of which are timber.The greater part of the balance is in pasture, which he uses for feeding cattle for his own market, having bought the meat market of I. Hunt in the spring of 1889. Mr. Willox has a good twostory residence on his farm, a wind pump and tanks, besides many other improvements.He was married in 1880 to Miss Nettie F. Cooper, a native of the State of Maine, and a daughter of Andrew Cooper. Mr. and Mrs. Willox have four children Edna, Maud, Bessie and Maggie. Mr. Willox served one term as member of the city council of Exira.On his arrival in America he had but $50, which was discounted when exchanged.He has been successful in all his undertakings, and is one of the reliable men of Audubon County.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 737.



THOMAS WINTERS, who may be numbered among the pioneer settlers of Audubon County, Iowa, was born in Yorkshire, England, November 5, 1833. He is a son of John and Mary Winters, who emigrated to America when Thomas was one year old; they landed on Long Island, where they were shipwrecked, having intended to land in New York City. They crossed the Eastern States to Upper Canada, and stopped in Brantford, where they settled permanently and lived the remainder of their days. The father was a shoemaker by trade. At the age of fifteen years Thomas left home to learn the carpenter's trade, and served an apprenticeship of five years. After this period of time he worked as a journeyman on the railroad throughCanada, building bridges on the Great Western. He then left the British dominion and came to the United States, spending two years in Michigan and one in Missouri; from Missouri he went to work on a farmin Mercer County, Illinois, and remained there one year. In the year 1862, when there was a call for men to defend this country's flag, he entered the army, enlisting in Company G, One Hundred and Second Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He remained in Illinois some time; was then ordered south through Kentucky and Tennessee, and joined Sherman's army, participating in the campaign from Nashville through to Savannah; then back through the Carolinas on to Washington, D. C., where he took part in the grand review. After being honorably discharged and receiving his pay he returned to his home and engaged in agricultural pursuits for the three years following. In the fall of 1868 he removed with his family to Audubon County, settling on what was known as the swamp land. The following spring he bought of the American Swamp Land Company eighty acres of land on the Nishnabotna River, in what is now Viola Township; the county had not been divided into townships at that time. Mr. Winters broke out his land and built a shanty, into which he moved his family.He had no neighbors, and his nearest market place was Glidden, Carroll County, Iowa, at a distance requiring two days to make the trip. All the hardships met by pioneers were endured by Mr. Winters and his family. The second winter they spent in Exira, returning to the farm in the spring. The farm is rich bottom land, finely located, and well stocked with hogs and cattle of high grades.Being a carpenterby trade,Mr. Winters built his own home, the lumber for which was sawed at the mill of Nathaniel Hamlin, the first settler of the county. In 1861 Mr. Winters was married to Susanna Wheeler, a daughter of Caleb Wheeler; she was borninOhio, but was a residentof Mercer County, Illinois, at the time of her marriage.Eight children have been born to this union Eva, Blanche, Nora, Laura, Minnie, Mary, Lois and George.Little Eva died at the age of four years. Death again came into the happy home and called away Lois, the youngest girl, a bright child of ten years. She died May 14, 1888. Mr. Winters has represented his township as treasurer, and as school director. He is a member of the G. A. R. Politically he affiliates with the Democratic party.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 712.



FRANK P. WISEMAN, one of the early settlers of Lincoln Township, was born in Stark County, Ohio, July 22, 1853. He is a son of William and Mary (Shilling) Wiseman, natives of the State of Ohio. The father followed the trade of a blacksmith for twentyfive years, and died in his native State. The mother removed to Iowa and died in Crawford County. She was the daughter of James Shilling, and the mother of nine children, three sons and six daughters. The grandfather of Frank P. was George Wiseman, of German descent, a native of Maryland, and a soldier in the war of 1812.Frank P. Wiseman resided in his native county until his twentythird year, when he left the farm which had been a home to him in his childhood and early manhood. He first worked at the carpenter's trade, and afterward learned the milling business. In January, 1876, caught in the tide of western emigration, he came to Iowa and stopped in Crawford County. He remained there four years, and at the end of that time he removed to Audubon County and settled on his present farm. The place contains 120 acres, which is well improved, with good buildings, and in a high state of cultivation. In 1878 Mr. Wiseman was marned to Susie Halford, of Crawford County, a daughter of James and Mary C. Halford. One son has been born of this marriage Frederick P. Mr. Wiseman is a member of the lodge, No. 450, A. F. & A. M., at Manning, Iowa. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W.In politics he gives his undivided and hearty support to the Republican party. He and his wife are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Wiseman's father served as a soldier in the late war, and one of her brothers was a member of the One Hundred and Seventh Ohio regiment.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 815.



OTTO WITTHAUER, dealer in lumber, Exira, Iowa, was born in Center County, Pennsylvania, in the town of Woodward, October 11, 1857.He is the third child of Herman and Louisa (Fleal) Witthauer, natives of Germany, who emigrated to America in 1854 and settled in Pennsylvania, and there remained until April, 1865, when they removed to Guthrie County, Iowa; here they permanently settled and still reside, Mr. Witthauer devoting himself to farming. Otto Witthauer was only seven years old when his parents came to Guthrie County, Iowa; there he passed his boyhood and attended the district school. Later he attended the Guthrie High School at Panora, in which institution he pursued his studies industriously for eighteen months. He then began his career as a teacher at the age of nineteen years, and continued work in this profession for four years. In the summer of 1880 he took the United States census in the two townships, Valley and Jackson, in Guthrie County. In the fall of 1880 he entered the employ of Charles Stuart, of Guthrie Center, Iowa. He took charge of the grain and lumber business at Monteith, Iowa, and remained there until April, 1881, when he came to Exira and took charge of the same business.Mr. Witthauer continued in Mr. Stuart's employ until 1884, when lie was elected to the office of county recorder on the Democratic ticket. He then removed to Audubon, and assumed the duties of the office January 1, 1885. He filled the office acceptably and was renominated, but defeated by the small majority of thirty. He is treasurer of the independent school district of Exira, and a member of the city council. He takes an active part in politics, acting as delegate to State, congressional and judicial conventions, voting the Democratic ticket. In January, 1887, Mr. Witthauer returned to Exira, and embarked in the grocery business with his fatherinlaw, Mr. Bowman. May 10, 1887, he lost some property by fire, having little insurance.He again took charge of Mr. Stuart's business, and when Mr. Stuart sold out the business Mr. Witthauer embarked in the same enterprise on his own account He keeps a good stock of lumber, posts, and all kinds of stone and lime. He was married June 13, 1883, to Miss Mattie Bowman, daughter of William Bowman, Esq. She was born in the State of Ohio, and when a child came to Newton, Iowa, with her parents.Mr. and Mrs. Witthauer are the parents of two children Bessie, and one child that died in infancy. Mr. Witthauer is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Lodge No. 181, and is keeper of records and seal, and trustee of the same.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 720.



GEORGE W. WOOD, a farmer of Lincoln Township, was born in Mercer County, Illinois, April 1, 1862. He is the youngest of six children of John and Caroline (Van Buskirk) Wood, who were early settlers of Pickaway County, Ohio, which was their native State. They removed to Wisconsin, and thence to Mercer County, Illinois, in 1861; they made that their home until 1866, when they went to Poweshiek County, Iowa, and settled on a farm near Grinnell.At the end of one year they moved to Madison County, Iowa, and settled near Winterset; there they continued to reside until 1874, when they came to Audubon County, Iowa, and located on a farm in section 35; the land was new and unimproved; the first purchase contained 240 acres, a part of which was afterward sold. The father died in Poweshiek County, Iowa, and the mother was married to Joseph Snyder.They lived on their present farm for several years and then rented the place and removed to Nebraska, where the mother died June 16, 1888.There were no children born of the second marriage; the children by the first husband were Sarah (deceased), wife of E. W. Jones; Grandval, died at the age of six years; Emily (deceased); Laura, wife of Albert Adkinson; Willis G., and George W., the subject of this notice. He was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and in 1885 he went with his mother and stepfather to Nebraska, devoting his time to hunting and trapping on the waters of the Ponca Creek; the game was otter, beaver and coon; during the season he shot prairie chickens for the Omaha market, which he made quite profitable.In the fall of 1888 he returned to Lincoln Township, and settled on the farm of 120 acres which his mother had willed to him. Mr. Wood devotes his time to general farming pursuits, and is one of the enterprising young agriculturists of the township.His grandfather, on his mother's side, was John Van Buskirk, an early settler of Pickaway County, Ohio, of Hollandish descent.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 775.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top