IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


M


WILLIAM MALLORY, Sheriff of Audubon County, is an efficient officer. He was born in Henry County, Iowa, near Mount Pleasant, November 18, 1851, and is a son of Daniel Mallory, who was born at Harper's Ferry in 1826. The grandfather of William Mallory was William Mallory, who was a native of Virginia and a descend ant of an Irish family. Daniel Mallory was a farmer in early life, and was among the early settlers of Henry County, Iowa. He enlisted at Burlington, and going to Mexico took part in most of the battles of the Mexi can war. After the close of the war he went to California in 1849 in search of gold, re maining there two years.He then returned to Henry County, Iowa, and engaged in farming, which occupation he has since fol lowed. He is still living, and resides in Henry County. Daniel Mallory's wife, the mother of our subject, was a Miss Rhoda Jay, born of Quaker parents, in North Caro lina. Her family removed to the Territory of Iowa when she was a young child. Daniel Mallory and wife were the parents of ten children, one daughter and nine sons, six of whom still survive. William Mallory, the subject of this sketch, was reared on a farm near the bank of the Skunk River. He spent his summers in working on the farm, and his winters in attending the district school. Later he was sent to Howe's Academy at Mount Pleasant, Iowa, where he pursued his studies one year. In 1873 Mr. Mallory was married to Miss Ophelia Lane, of Henry County, a schoolmate, and a daughter of Abner and Barbara Lane.In1877 they removedto Audubon County, living on a farm for one year. When the town of Audubon was started Mr. Mallory moved to the place and em barked in the clothing business, which he carried on successfully for six years. In 1885 he was elected sheriff of Audubon County, and was reelected in 1887, and is the present incumbent of the office.Aside fromthe duties of his office, he devotes considerable time to auctioneering, his circuit extending over six counties. Mr. and Mrs. Mallory have two sons J. Howe and Ira Wade. Mr. Mallory is a Royal Arch Mason, and is also a member of the I. O. O. F., of which he is a charter member. He is anactive and public-spirited man, deeply interested in the progress and welfare of the community.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 728.



GILBERT S. D. MASON, a successful cattlefeeder of Viola Township, was born in the State of Pennsylvania, in the city of Philadelphia, October 7, 1840. He is a son of William R. and Margaret (Comley) Mason, natives of Delaware and Pennsylvania respectively. Both parents died in the city of Philadelphia. Gilbert S. D. Mason was educated in the schools of his native city. Although his father was one of the principal wholesale merchants of Phila delphia, he made up his mind to be a farmer, and accordingly began this occupation in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, at the age of seventeen years. In 1873 he removed from Bucks County to Carroll County, Iowa, set tling upon a farm five miles south of Arca dia. This place contained 200 acres, which Mr. Mason improved and used as a cattle farm until he removed to Audubon County, Iowa, in 1883.He located on his present farm in Viola Township, which was known for many years as the Hawer farm, and which at that time contained 160 acres. Mr. Mason has made additional purchases of land until his farm now covers 320 acres of choice land in a high state of cultivation, beautifully sit uated on the waters of the Nishnabotna River. While it is well suited to small grains, it is admirably adapted to stockfarming. In 1862 Mr. Mason was married to Miss Martha, the eldest daughter of Josiah and Mary (Crous dale) Tomlinson, descendants from families of Quakers who came to Pennsylvania with William Penn, and settled in Byberry, Mont gomery County, Pennsylvania. Land tracts of the old Penn purchase are still in the fam ily name. The old Penn chestnuttree still stands upon the homestead, twentyfour miles north of Philadelphia.By this union ten children were born, all of whom survive John H., Lewis L., Gilbert. S., Jr., Philip S., William R., Josiah T., George W., Paul B., Emma M. and Benjamin F. In politics Mr. Mason is rather conservative.In Carroll County he served on the school board for seven years, and held other township offices. The Masons descended from an old English family, and were early settlers of Connecti cut, removing from that State to Delaware. The Grandfather Comley was an officer of marines in the war of 1812, and died in the service at the Philadelphia navy yard.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 768.



DAVID A. McANULTY, of Audubon Township, has been identified with the history of Audubon County since 1876. Tie was born in Boone County, Indiana, May 7, 1845, and is a son of William and Amadella (Adams) McAnulty. He is the fourth child of a family of seven children, and when he was six years old his parents removed to Iowa and settled in Washington County, where he was reared to the occupation of a farmer, and educated in the common-schools. When there was a call for men to defend the flag of this nation, he enlisted in the Ninth Iowa Cavalry, Company D, and served until 1865, when he was discharged at Little Rock, Arkansas. He then returned to Washington County, Iowa. September 17, 1868, he was married to Miss Leah Richardson, daughter of Aaron and Anna (Cline) Richardson. She was born in Jefferson County, Iowa, January 20, 1848. After his marriage Mr. McAnulty resided in Washington County for eight years.He then came to Audubon County and settled on a farm of 166 acres of raw prairie land. There he has since made his home, making many valuable improvements in the way of erecting buildings and placing the soilunder cultivation. He hasalso planted about one acre of grove. The farm is considered one of the most desirable in that part of the county.Mr. McAnulty, by honesty and upright dealing, has won the confidence of the community in which he lives. He takes an active interest in all enterprises tending to the advancement of the people. He is a staunch member of the Republican party. He is chairman of the Re publican township committee, and in 1887 he was sent as a delegate to the State Convention. Mr. and Mrs. McAnulty are the parents of one child -- Arthur, born July 31, 1869. He was married December 9, 1888, to Miss Emma F. Benton, a daughter of Isaiah and Tranquilla (May) Benton. She was born in Jo Daviess County, Illinois, January, 1868.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 781.



GEORGE McCAIN, one of the well-to-do farmers of Melville Township, located on section 16, in the month of September, 1870. At first he purchased eighty acres of land, onehalf of his present farm, winch is all well improved. Mr. McCain was born in the village of St. Omer, Indiana, December 30, 1839. He is the youngest of a family of ten children. His parents were Williamand Mary (McCarty) McCain, who lived for a time in Wayne County, Indiana, near the village of Centerville, at that time the county seat. Later on they removed to St. Omer, Decatur County, Indiana, where the father engaged in farming and mercantile business. He died in 1845, and the mother, May 8, 1873, at the age of seventythree years. Of the ten children only five are liv ing; a brother of our subject in Indiana, one in Kansas, one sister in Colorado, and one in Iowa. Mr. McCain, like most men of his age, received his education under many dis advantages, within a rude log schoolhouse, provided with slab seats. The teacher was paid by private subscription. The youthful days of our subject were spent for the most part upon his father's farm. At the outbreak of the civil war he enlisted as a member of Company K, Sixteenth Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He saw much hard service during his army life. His first engagement was at Edwards'Ferry, at the time of the Balls Bluff disaster. In the fall of 1861 his command went into winter quarters, and in the spring crossed over into Virginia, going over the Blue Ridge Mountains. He received his discharge in May, 1862, at the city of Wash ington, D. C., after which he returned to his home, and enlisted in the thirty days' regiment, formed to protect the country against the Morgan raiders. In December, 1863, he enlisted in the three years' service at Greensburg, Indiana, as a private soldier; but he soon after became Sergeant-Major, and August 9, 1864, he was commissioned as First Lieutenant of Company G. They were sent to Nashville, Tennessee, and became part of General Hovey's Hoosier troops, and then went South with General Sherman, preparatory to entering the Atlanta campaign. Mr. McCain was in the fall of Atlanta, and tells many thrilling scenes in connection with this great event. From Atlanta, under the com mand of General Thomas, he marched to the north into Tennessee, where his regiment did various duties; he finally took a steamer, via Ohio River for Cincinnati, and went thence by rail to Washington, D. C. He was then ordered to Anderson, going down the Potomac River into Chesapeake Bay, and to Cape Fear River, North Carolina; he then crossed the country to Moorehead City, engaging in a three days' fight at Wieser Forks, and defeating General Hooks. The company then marched to Goldsboro, North Carolina, where they made junction with Sherman's army; there they remained until the surrender of General Johnston's army took place. The rest of the season, up to August, 1865, was put in at guard duty; but on the 25th of that month Mr. McCain received his final discharge,and returned to Decatur County,Indiana. Having thus faithfully served both as a private and an officer, in an army which had finally restored peace and liberty to a great nation, he then began to lay plans for his own future welfare. For a year and more he was engaged in the bridge building department of a railroad company in Indiana. In March, 1867, he came to Iowa, and stopped in Jasper County, near Newton. Here he engaged with the Rock Island Company in the same branch of work he had been following in Indiana. This work took him along the main line, and all the branches of the great Rock Island Route, both in Iowa and Nebraska. He continued in this position until May, 1870, when he was married to Miss Ada A. Potter, of Marengo, Iowa, a native of New York. In September, 1870, Mr. and Mrs. McCain removed to Audubon County, and bought land as above noted, where they have not only built for themselves a good home, but have established a character in the community which is beyond reproach. Having been among the first to locate in the northern part of the county, Mr. McCain has helped to foster the public schools and estab lish the public roads, and advance the welfare of the county in many directions.Mr. and Mrs.McCain are the parents of five children -- R E., Mona E., Guy F., Mary A. and John Mayo. In politics Mr. McCain is a staunch Republican, and has been honored by various local offices; he has served as town ship clerk for two terms, trustee one term, assessor three terms, and was elected supervisor soon after the establishment of the county seat at Audubon. Under President Hayes's administration he was appointed postmaster of Melville Center, holding this position from February 19, 1878, until February 19, 1880.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 801.



WILLIAM H. McCLURE, of the firm of Cousins & McClure, proprietors of the Audubon County Republican, is a native of the State of Illinois, and was born in Dundee, November 15, 1859.He is the oldest living son of William and Mana (Wesson) McClure. William McClure, the father of William H., was a stone and brick mason in early life, but in later years turned his attention to farming. He was born in the State of Maine, and removed to Illinois, where he married and settled upon a farm. In 1868 he took his family to Cedar County, Iowa, and settled on a farm, remaining there several years. He then moved to the town of Wyoming, Jones County, arid still resides there. William McClure passed his youth in Cedar and Jones counties, receiving his education principally in the public schools of Wyoming. At the age of sixteen years he entered the printing office of the Wyoming Journal, and there learned the printer's trade. B e remained in the Journal office seven years from the time of entering, and was then appointed postmaster, serving from May, 1883, until 1885, at Wyoming, Iowa. In the month of December, 1885, Mr. McClure came to Audubon County, and was employed on the Audubon County Republican.In April, 1887, he purchased the interest held by S. A. Foster, the firm being at that time Cousins & Foster. Mr. Foster retired from the business, and the firm name was changed to Cousins & McClure. Mr. McClure is a practical printer, and a racy writer. He was married to Miss Kate Holmes, of Wyoming, Iowa, a daughter of William Holmes, Esq. Mr. and Mrs. McClure have had born to them four children -- Scott, Don, Mary and Edgar.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 824.



JOSEPH McFADDEN, a successful farmer and stockraiser, was born in Fayette County, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1853. He is the youngest son of Joseph and Mary (Jamison) McFadden. Joseph McFad den, the father, was born in Pennsylvania, and is a descendant of a ScotchIrish family. The mother, Mary Jamison, was also born in Pennsylvania, and after her marriage to Mr. McFadden they settled in Fayette County, where they lived until they removed to McDonough County, Illinois; here they lived on a farm for six years, and in 1872 they removed to Audubon County, Iowa, and settled on a farm now owned by Mr. Shingledecker in the east part of the township of Leroy; at that time this place was raw prairie, and here Mr. McFadden passed the remainder of his days. He died October 4, 1886, in his ninety-third year, and was active in mind and body until within six months of his death. When eighty years of age he made a hand in the harvest field. He was a kind husband, an indulgent father, and a generous neighbor. His wife is still living, and makes her home in Shelby County with her daughter, Mrs. Andrew Marshall. Joseph McFadden, Jr., the subject of this sketch, was thirteen years old when he removed to Illinois with his parents; at the age of nineteen the family removed to Audubon County, and his services being valuable on the farm his school days were cut short; he was well trained in agricultural pursuits. He continued to live with his parents until May, 1886, when he was married to Miss Abbie Hoyt, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth (Lauman) Hoyt. Her parents now reside in Melville Township, Au dubon County, and are natives of Connecticut and Pennsylvania respectively. Mr. and Mrs. McFadden are the parents of one son -- Francis Hoyt McFadden. After his marriage Mr. McFadden settled on his present farm of eighty acres, which he has developed from raw prairie land into choice, well-improved land on which he has built a good residence. He is a very successful stock feeder, fattening from a half to a carload of cattle annually. Mr. McFadden votes with the Republicans, and takes an active part in elections. Mrs. McFadden was born April 22, 1862, at Ot tawa, La Salle County, Illinois.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 725.



GEORGE J. McLACHLIN has been a resident of Audubon County, Iowa, since 1887. He was born in Caledonia County, Vermont, May 7, 1848, and is a son of James and Almira (Varnum) McLachlin. The father, a son of John McLachlin, was born in Vermont in 1818; he is a farmer by occupation, and still lives in Vermont.His father was born in Scotland. The mother of George J. was born in Vermont; she is living, and also her four children, named as follows William V., George J., Charles F. and Merritt H.George J. was reared to the life of a farmer. He received his early education in the common-school, and later he entered the Caledonia Academy, pursuing his studies there for three years. He remained with his parents until his twentyfirst year, when, like so many other young men, he was caught in the tide of emigration, and drifted westward. In the spring of 1887 he removed to Audubon County, and spent the first summer working for Mr. George Gray on his farm. He then rented a farm of W. G. Cameron for one year, and in the mean time he bought eighty acres of wild land in Lincoln Township, which he broke out and began to improve.Four years later he sold this farm, and removed to a farm of 160 acres which he had purchased in partnership with his brother. They still own the place, which they have placed under good cultivation, and to which they have added many improve ments.The residence, which is a neat two story frame building, was erected in 1880, and is pleasantly situated on a high and sightly spot. Mr. McLachlin was married in 1871 to Miss Jane L. Dewey, of Caledonia County, Vermont. She is the oldest daugh ter of Bela S. and Lavinia (Carter) Dewey, natives of the State of New Hampshire, now residing in Caledonia County, Vermont. Of their two children Mrs. McLachlin is the only one surviving. Mr. and Mrs. McLach lin are the parents of three children Glenn D., Harvey C. and Elsie J. Mr. McLachlin has been engaged in stockfeeding and rais ing, shipping from three to five car loads annually,he is enterprising, industrious, and honorable in all his dealings, and has the respect and confidence of all who know him.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 813.



FRANK R. McLAUGHLIN, of Lincoln Township, is one of the successful farmers of Audubon County. He was born in Licking County, Ohio, August 27, 1853. His father, Charles McLaughlin, a descendant of a Scotch family, was born and reared in the State of Ohio, and followed the occu pation of a farmer the greater part of his life. Rachel A. (Covil) McLaughlin, the mother of Frank R., was a daughter of Joseph Covil, Esq. Charles McLaughlin and wife had born to them eight children, five of whom are living. The mother is deceased, but the father still survives. When Frank R. was about eight years of age his parents removed to Marshall County, Illinois. There he grew to manhood, receiving the advantages of a common-school education and a good training in agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty years he be gan working on a farm by the month, follow ing this for three years. Being convinced that he could make money more rapidly by farming on his own account, he rented land in Livingston County, Illinois, and the first year suffered the disaster of being drowned out. He then returned to Marshall County, and worked on a farm one year. He then bought land in Marshall County, which he cultivated five years. At the end of this time he sold out and entered a farmingimplement store, where he clerked until 1885. Collect ing his effects, he removed to Audubon County, Iowa, and located on his present farm, which he bought after renting it for four years. The place was then known as the Whipple farm. It contains 240 acres, and is well stocked and well improved.Mr. McLaughlin was married in 1885 to Miss Cora Evans, of Knox County, Illinois, a daughter of Oliver Evans, who died when she was six years of age, near Oskaloosa, Mahaska County, Iowa, in 1868. They are the parents of two children Charles E. and Frank Ray. Mr. McLaughlin is a member of Utopia Lodge, No. 161, I. O. O. F., at Gray.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 815.



WILLIAM McLERAN, proprietor of McLeran's stock ranch, one mile west of Audubon, is one of Audubon County's thoroughgoing, successful citizens, of whom no reasonable man ever has aught to complain.The best and truest index to any man's character and life is the general opinion entertained of him by his nearest neighbors, and those with whom he dealt from day to day. Mr. McLeran's success as a stockgrower and farmer comes largely from the fact that he has always been thorough going and painstaking, and never afraid to do hard work himself. In a volume of this character, which is to be handed down from generation to generation, it is indeed fitting that some record be here made of one who has gained a competency for himself and family wholly by virtue of his own industry and unremitting zeal. His has been a life to which one may refer any young man as a good one to pattern after, with all assurance of abundant success.It requires more real, true manhood, and genuine worth for one to begin life unaided by friends and wealthy relatives than it does to have ready capital to commence on;however, the strongest characters of American history have been forged and wrought by boys who have been obliged to carve their own way to final suc cess. Mr. McLeran, who has been a citizen of Audubon County since 1879, is a native of the old Green Mountain State, Vermont. He was born October 24, 1824, in the town of Barnett, Orleans County; his parents were William and Eliza (Gleason) McLeran; his Grandfather McLeran was also named Will iam; he served as a soldier in the war of 1812, and lived to an advanced age. William, Jr., died when eightyone years old. The mother of our subject was of English descent, born in Massachusetts, and died at Rochester, New York; her remains now rest at Barnett, Vermont. Mr. McLeran passed his youth and received his education at Barnett, Ver mont, living at home on the farm until he was about twenty years of age, at which time he engaged in railroad business in New England and Pennsylvania, both as a con structor and an operator; he ran the second locomotive ever built in the United States. it was of a crude and curious design, and has for years been on public exhibition in the city of Philadelphia; it was among the curiosities at the Centennial Exposition of 1876, where Mr. McLeran last saw it.In 1851 he was married to Miss Betsey Blanch ard, the third daughter of Simon and Betsey (Spencer) Blanchard.She was born .Decem ber 9, 1829, at Peacham, Vermont, where she grew to womanhood. There she obtained an excellent education, graduating from the county academy, operated on the endowment plan; it was accounted one of the best edu cational institutions of New England at that time.After leaving school she at once began teaching, and followed it for several years, becoming a very popular andsuccessful teacher. Three years after his marriage Mr. McLeran emigrated with his wife to Illinois; at first he rented land near Rock River for a year, after which he bought eighty acres in Bureau County, of that State; here he re mained for nearly a quarter of a century, twentyfour years, during which period he was successful as a farmer and stockgrower, his attention being especially directed to swine growing. Mr. and Mrs. McLeran are the parents of nine children, eight of whom still live Abbie, wife of E. D. Van Court; Si mon B.; Helen M., wife of F. H. Chidister, of Aurora, Nebraska; Fannie C., now at tending school away from home; Walter Palmer, at home; George Ralph, at Com mercial College at Omaha, Nebraska; Her bert Morris, at home attending school; and CharlesStuart, at home. Thedeceased, namedBessie Blanchard, died in infancy. Upon selling out in Bureau County, Illinois, in March, 1870, Mr. McLeran removed to Audubon County, purchasing at first a quar ter section of land of the Rock Island Rail road Company. He now has a fine farm of beautifully rolling prairie land, located on sections 19 and 30, township 80, range 35, west, and in the civil township of Leroy, which is one mile west from Audubon, the county seat. The first season he was in the county he had 400 acres broken, besides at tending to the erection of a fine frame residence that would do honor as a city house, He is at present as comfortably situated as any farmer in his county, and is steadily in creasing his possessions by thrifty farming and stockgrowing. He now has hundreds of fine cattle, hogs and horses upon his farm. His premises are well adapted to stockgrow ing and feeding, as he has established a fine systemof waterworks, by which a wind mill becomes the power in pumping water to a large tank in the stockyards and barn. He grinds and mashes all the large corn crop he produces, after which it is judiciously fed to stock. He makes a special point of de horning all his horned stock, and has become especially successful in the feeding of young stock. Everything about the place displays the art, so often lost sight of by farmers, that of order. In political views Mr. McLeran is what might be termed conservative; however, in State and National politics he always votes the Democratic ticket. He has never aspired to public office, but always tells those who seek to press him into such positions, which he might ably fill, that his office is in his cattle yards. As one views his large possessions, and sees how successfully all parts are carried on, and then pauses to think of the fact, that when he landed in Illinois in 1854 all his earthly possessions were found in his most estimable wife and two children, and $123, it goes without saying that all has come from patient toil and frugal management.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 791.



ROBERT MILLER, deceased, was born in Allegheny County, near Pittsburg, Pennsylvania, June 9, 1801. He departed this life at his home in Leroy Township, Audubon County, Iowa, July 28, 1886. He grew to maturity in his native State. He attended the common schools, and early in life learned the miller's trade, but afterward became a farmer.On April 2, 1834, he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Wood burn, who was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and was the oldest daughter of William and Elizabeth (Veasy) Woodburn. Her parents settled in Allegheny County in the day when Indians were numerous. They were of Irish descent, two generations having been born in America.After his marriage Mr. Miller settledin Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, and in the fall of 1856 he removed to Mercer County, Illinois, where he engaged in farming. He remained in this county ten years. In the fall of 1866 Mr. Miller removed with his family to Audubon County, Iowa, settling on a farm three miles south of Exira, which is now known as the Gault farm. There he resided two years, and then removed to his present farm, sit uated on the Nishnabotna River, section 1, Leroy Township, and containing 133 acres of wellimproved land. Mr. Miller was engaged in general farming, but especially delighted in the care of fine livestock. His horses, cattle and hogs were usually of high grades. Mr. and Mrs. Miller had born to them ten children, eight of whom lived to maturity William, died at the age of eight years; Martha W., wife of Perry Roberts; Benjamin F., died in November, 1886; Elizabeth, died at the age of eleven years; James, died in January, 1884; Thomas, a prosperous farmer; Samuel, residing with his mother on the home farm; John A., a successful clothing merchant of Superior, Nebraska;Mary J., died February 3, 1874, and Sarah A., died December 5,1879. Mr. Miller was appointed postmaster during President Hayes's administration, the office being kept in his dwelling. He also served as road supervisor. He was an oldfashioned Democrat, and was an admirer of President Cleveland's administration. He did not chew tobacco, but enjoyed a good smoke. Mrs. Miller is now in her seventyseventh year, and is in possession of all her mental faculties, and assists and directs in the management of the farm. Mr. and Mrs. Miller had lived together for fifty two years. Benjamin F. and James Miller served in the late Rebellion. B. F. was a member of the Thirtieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company G, and was Orderly Sergeant of his company. James Miller was a member of the Ninth Illinois Mounted Infantry, Company E, and served four years. He was among those who re-enlisted.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 742.



NELSON L. MOREY, a farmer of Leroy Township, was born in North Adams, Berkshire County, Massachusetts, Feb ruary 16, 1836.His father was Samuel Morey, a native of Rhode Island. He was a shoemaker in early life, but later emigrated to Ashtabula County, Ohio, and engaged in farming. The mother was Orvilla Hold ridge, a native of the State of Massachusetts, and the mother of twelve children, ten of whom lived to maturity. Milton L. was a child when his parents removed to Ohio. The trip was made via the lakes and canal, the country being then a dense forest. The new home was a truly pioneer one, having no conveniences and scarcely the necessities. The schoolhouse in which our subject re ceived his first lessons was the typical log house of that day.He passed his youth on the farm with his parents, assisting in clear ing out the farm.At the age of twentyone years he came to Iowa and settled in Clinton County, where he worked on a farm by the month for three years.He then returned to his old home in Ohio, where he engaged in farming for some years. In 1868 Mr. Morey was married to Julia A., daughter of Martin Quakenbush,a Canadian by birth. Mrs. Morey was born in the State of New York, near Troy.After his marriage Mr. Morey remained in Ohio for seven years, and then returned toIowa, renting a farm in Clin ton County; here he remained until 1878, when he came to Audubon County, and bought 160 acres of raw prairie in Leroy Township. Mr. Morey has made many val uable improvements, and is a successful farmerpaying special attention to the rais ing of livestock. Samuel Morey, the father of our subject, was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a fifer in the battle of Sackett's Harbor. He dropped dead of heart disease. Mrs. Morey's mother was Lucy Leed; her father died in the war of the Revolution.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 738.



THEODORE F. MYERS, attorney at law, Audubon, Iowa, is a native of the Hawkeye State, and was born in Powe hiek County, February 9, 1859. He is the fourth child in a family of seven children, all of whom are living. He is the son of John A. and Mary E. Myers, natives of Ger many. The father was a merchant during the active years of his life, and is now retired and living at Montezuma, Iowa.John A. Myers and wife emigrated to America and were among the first actual settlers in Powe shiek County, Iowa. Theodore F., the subject of this notice, was reared in the town of Montezuma, and received his education in the common-schools of this place. At the age of nineteen he began teaching. He afterward went to Keokuk, Iowa, where he accepted a position as assistant bookkeeper in the firm of Comstock's Stove Works. He served in this capacity until the spring of 1880, when he came to Audubon and accepted a position as clerk in the hardware store of Martin & Keller. He remained here until the fall of 1881, when he entered the law office of Joseph L. Stotts. In six months he was made a member of the firm, and at the end of a year the firm was changed to Andrews, Stotts & Myers. This firm con tinued to transact business until 1886, when the partnership was dissolved and Mr. Myers continued the law practice alone. He was admitted to the bar in 1883. In October, 1881, Mr. Myers was united in marriage to Miss Lydia M. Haines, of Washington, Iowa, a daughter of Gilbert Haines, of the State of New York, who was one of the early settlers in Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Myers have one daughter Helen Gray. Mr. Myers owns several good farms in Audubon County, and some Kansas lands. He is a member of Aretas Lodge, A. F. & A. M. He is an active politician, and votes with the Republican party. He has often served as delegate to conventions, and as chairman of township committees.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 797.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top