IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


K & L


THOMAS H. KILWORTH, a farmer of Audubon County, is an American, not by birth, but by adoption. He was born in England, September 6, 1829, and in the year 1850 came to America and settled in Henry County, Illinois. He there owned a farm, but carried on his trade of carpenter and joiner, having little means and being anxious to earn an honest dollar. He remained in Henry County until 1873, when he sold his farm and came to Audubon County, Iowa, settling on his present farm of 160 acres. The land was in its original wild state, and Mr. Kilworth has made all the improvements on the place.After breaking out the farm and putting it in tame grass, he began raising livestock, handling high grades. He added eighty acres to his first purchase, and now owns 240 acres of as choice land as lies in Audubon County. Mr. Kilworth was united in marriage in 1863 to Mary Healey, a native of England, in which country the marriage took place. Mr. Kilworth has made several trips to his native land, having crossed the ocean five times. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Kilworth -- Emma, wife of Bert Hamlin; Jeannette, wife of Oscar Wheeler; John H., Ida May and Earl T., at home. Mr. Kilworth has served five years as school director. In National and State poli tics he votes the Democratic ticket, but in local matters he votes for the man who in his estimation is best fitted for the position. When he came to this country he had no means, but by close application to business and wise management he has accumulated a good competence. He is pronounced in his views, yet is liberal and public spirited.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 762.



ROBERT H. LACY, an early settler of Cameron Township, was bornnear Madisonville, Knox County, Kentucky, August 29, 1831. He is the second son of George and Sophia (Hicks) Lacy, who were born and reared in the State of Virginia. Soon after their marriage they removed to Kentucky, thence to Tennessee, and thence to Madison County, Illinois; there they rented a farm, and resided until they removed to Fayette County, Illinois, in which county George Lacy died in 1851; his wife died five months later in Morgan County,Illinois. They were the parents of seven children, all of whom are living, except one son. Robert Lacy passed most of his youth in Fayette County, Illinois, receiving the benefit of a common school education. He had lived at home until his father's death, which occurred when he was nineteen years old. He then started out for himself, working by the month on a farm for six years. He was married to Nancy E. Jones, of Morgan County, Illinois, the oldest daughter of James Jones, Esq. After his marriage Mr. Lacy rented a farm in Henry County, Illinois, on which he spent nine years. In the fall of 1873 he moved with his family to Audubon County, Iowa, and bought 100 acres of raw prairie land; this he broke out and improved, erecting buildings, planting trees, and making many other valuable additions to the place. He has engaged in general farming since coming to Audubon County. Mr. Lacy's first wife died on the farm in 1879; she was the mother of five children George H., James W., Charles C., Robert, and John M., who died at the age of twelve years. Mr. Lacy was married to Mrs. Amelia Burt in 1880; her maiden name was Wallace, and she had two children by her former husband, Edmund Burt -- Carrie, wife of George H. Lacy, and Hattie, wife of Charles E. Lacy. Mr. Burt died in Buena Vista County, Iowa. He served the country eighteen months in the late civil war. Mrs. Lacy and her first husband were born on the shores of Lake George. Mr. Lacy removed from his farm to Audubon in the spring of 1880, and clerked in a hardware and agricultural implement store for five years. He then removed to Coon Rapids, which is his present home. He opened a meat market in this place, and at the end of two years sold out the business. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 787.



WILLIAM J. LANCELOT, of the firm of Lancelot & Bees, merchants, Gray, Iowa, is a native of England, born in the county of Cornwall, December 4, 1849. He is the second of a family of six children of William H.andIsabelle H. (Trucott) Lancelot, who still reside in the old country, well preserved in mind and body. The father was for many years a sea captain on the waters of the Atlantic. He is now employed in the government service at Falmouth, England. William J. was educated in his native country in a select school. At the early age of eighteen years the borders of his native country had grown too narrow for his youthful and sanguine spirits, so he emigrated to America, landing in the city of New York. Thence he continued his journey to Clayton County, Iowa, and there engaged in farming. Before leaving England he had served an apprenticeship as a butcher, and followed the business in America. In 1876 Mr. Lancelot removed to Cameron Center, Audubon County, and engaged in farming until 1885, when he moved to Ross, Iowa, and there associated himself in the grocery business with Frank Gleason, of Audubon. He afterward sold out at Ross and purchased a stock of goods of W. P. Johnson & Company, of Gray, taking F. P. Rees into partnership. The firm of Lancelot & Rees was established in 1887, and by strict attention to business and fair dealing they have won a large share of patronage. Mr. Lance lot was instrumental in establishing the post office at Thompson, a place well known by all the old settlers, which was discontinued when the town of Audubon was started. While in Ross he succeeded L. D. Thomas as post master, and held the office until his removal to Gray. April 10, 1889, Mr. Lancelot received his appointment as postmaster of Gray, under President Harrison. Mr. Lancelot is correspondent for the Daily Register, Des Moines, and also for the county papers. He has held several of the township offices, acquitting himself with great credit. He takes an active interest in the welfare of the Republican party, acting as a delegate to State, congressional and judicial conventions. Mr. Lancelot was united in marriage in 1873 to Miss Phoebe A. Crow, of Fayette County, Iowa, a daughter of Milton Crow, Esq. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Lancelot -- William H., Isabelle B., K. Grant, Milton J. and Grace. Mrs. Lancelot is a native of the State of Indiana. She was a successful instructor, having taught sixteen terms in Clayton, Fayette and Audubon counties. Her primary education was receivedin the district school of Fayette County. Later she entered the Upper Iowa University in Fayette County, and had almost completed the course at the time of her marriage. Mr. Lancelot is a member of Utopia Lodge, No. 161, I. O. O. F.; the Iowa Legion of Honor; the K. of P., No. 166, at Manning, Iowa, and of Hiawatha Lodge, No. 16, I. O. R. M., at Gray.Mr. Lancelot commenced the struggle for life singlehanded and without capital, and by energy and close application to business he has secured an ample competence.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 819.



DANIEL G. LASS, physician and surgeon, Audubon, Iowa, is of German nativity, born in the city of Bremen, January 19, 1858.He is a son of Lorenz H. and Meta (Rohde) Lass. The father was a sea captain on the waters between Bremen and Honolulu. He died at Bremen in 1865, and the mother died at the same place in 1860. The youth of our subject was passed in attending the schools of his native city, where he received the degree of B. A. In 1872 he emigrated to the city of New York, where he remained four years in the employ of John Faber, brother to the celebrated Faber pencilmaker, in the capacity of pharmacist. In 1875 he came to Iowa, and stopped in Nora Springs, where he clerked in a pharmacy for Dr. C. C. Birney, who became his preceptor in the study of medicine, he passed one examination before the Iowa Commissioner of Pharmacy, and took one course of lectures at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, Keokuk, Iowa. He took a second course at Vanderbilt University Medical Department, Nashville, Tennessee, graduating with the class of 1885, and receiving the degree of M. D. Dr. Lass was elected coroner of Audubon County in 1887. He has also held the position of county commissioner for the insane. He came to Audubon in March, 1884, and has devoted his entire time to his profession. He was married in 1886 to Miss Hattie Bailey, of Audubon, a native of Christian County, Illinois. Dr. Lass is a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the Botna Valley Medical Association, and surgeon for the Mutual Benefit Association, of Galesburg, Illinois. His brother, Lorenz Lass, is captain of the German ship, J. W. Vendt, plying between New York and Bremen. Dr. Lass has built up a good practice during his residence in Audubon.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 723.



JOSEPHUS LEWIS, one of Audubon County's honored citizens, and a successful farmer and stockraiser of Hamlin Township, was born in Delaware County, New York, near the village of Delhi, March 22, 1814. He is a son of Henry and Mercy (Holloway) Lewis, the father being a native of Schoharie County, New York, of Low Dutch descent, and the mother a native of Dutchess County, New York. After their marriage they removed to Delaware County, and there passed the remainder of their days. The father was twice married, and had two children by his first wife, and seven by the second. Josephus Lewis, the youngest son of the second marriage, passed his boyhood and school days in Delaware County, New York. He remained with his parents until he was eighteen years old, when he engaged in the lumber business and farming.His father having dealt in lumber for many years, a good opportunity was afforded him to learn the details of the trade, in which he was uniformly successful. In June, 1843, Mr. Lewis was married to Miss Melissa Barlow, an accomplished lady of Delaware County, New York, the only daughter of John and Deborah (Nichols) Barlow, natives of the State of New York. After his marriage, Josephus Lewis and wife settled on a farm in Delaware County, New York, and lived there until 1868, when they removed to Audubon County, Iowa. Mr. Lewis then purchased 320 acres of prairie land. The country was sparsely settled, and the thoughts of Mrs. Lewis often wandered back to her home in New York as she was caring for her little family; but as time rolled on settlers came, and the newness seemed to wear away. Mr. Lewis has devoted most of his time to raising cattle and hogs. With the latter he has been extraordinarily successful, raising from 150 to 200 head annually, and realizing handsomely upon them. His farm is watered by the Nishnabotna River, and its banks are skirted by a beautiful grove of hardwood timber. All the products of the farm are fed on the place, and Mr. Lewis buys large quantities of grain from neighboring farmers. Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have four children -- DeWitt C. took a literary course at the State University at Iowa City, studied law at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and is now a prominent attorney in Montesano, Washington Territory; Minerva, the older daughter, was graduated from the literary and medical departments of the Iowa State University, and is now in the enjoyment of a good practice; Homer is in Turner County, Dakota; Rose is the wife of Dr. J. M. Louthan, of Spearfish, Dakota. Mr. Lewis is now in his seventy-fifth year, but still superintends his farm.His wife is in her seventysecond year, and is strong in body and mind. She comes of a family of vigorous constitutions. Her father was a native of England, and her mother of New York. They emigrated to Nova Scotia, and removed thence to Dela ware County, New York.Mr. and Mrs. Lewis have led an industrious and frugal life, and have laid by a competence for their declining years.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 765.



A. F. LITTLEFIELD has been a resident of Audubon County, Iowa, since 1876. He was born in Norfolk County, Massachusetts, April 25, 1837, and is a son of Thomas and Lucinda (Sherman) Littlefield. He was reared in his native county, and was trained to the occupation of a farmer. He received his education in the common schools. When he was eighteen years of age he took a trip toCalifornia, and remainedthere eleven years, engaged in mining on the Pa cific Coast. In 1867 he came to Iowa and settled in Madison County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. For ten years he made this his home, and then went to Audu bon County.He first located in Exira Township, on a farm of 200 acres of partially improved land. At the end of one year he sold this place, and bought a farm of 160 acres in Audubon Township, which he has since made his home. He has made many valuable improvements, erecting a good frame residence, and barns for stock and grain. He has made an addition to his farm, and now owns 320 acres.He is a staunch adherent to the principles of the Republican party. He has been officially identified with his township as treasurer of the school board for nine years. Mr. Littlefield was united in marriage August 2, 1867, to Miss Sarah Ed wards, daughter of Francis and Margaret Edwards, natives of England. Mrs. Little field was born in England in July, 1850. Ten children have been born of this marriage Thomas, Margaret L., Minnie M., Annie L., Charles A., John, William, Alonzo F., and an infant daughter. Alice was born March 23, 1886, and died November 22, 1886. The family are among the most re spected and worthy people of Audubon Town ship.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 727.



JESSE F. LUSE, merchant, Ross, Iowa. Mr. Luse was born in Johnson County, Iowa, near Big Bend, July 31, 1861, and is a son of Joseph and Sarah (Higbee) Luse. Joseph Luse was born in Butler County, Penn sylvania, October 19, 1830, and is a son of Stephen and Hannah (Liken) Luse; the Liken family were of Swedish and Welsh ancestry, and the Luse family were of German and French descent. Joseph Luse drifted west when a young man, and stopped in Johnson County, Iowa, where he married and settled on a farm, where he resided until 1834, with the exception of a trip to Pike's Peak in the time of the gold fever, when he removed to Missouri, where they spent three years. They then went to Kansas, where they lived five years, and were driven away by the grasshopper raid and drouth; they returned to Johnson County, and from there to Audubon County in 1847, where they were again attacked by the grasshoppers. They stood their own ground this time, and since then have prospered. Mr. Luse improved his farm, which is situated on the Chicago & North western Railroad, near Ross. He had built a fine house, and was surrounded with many comforts when he died, April 26, 1887, by the horrible effects of a cancer, admired and respected by all who knew him. Mrs. Luse, who survives him, occupies the homestead and manages the farm with the assistance of her youngest son, David N. Luse. The place consists of 160 acres.Joseph Luse and wife were the parents of tenchildren Charles (deceased), John W., Hattie, Stephen and Jesse F. (twins), Ezra (deceased), David, Susan (deceased), Alice and Annie. Jesse F. Luse passed his youth in Missouri and Osage County, Kansas, with plenty of Indians for companions, where he had the advantage of a common-school education. He removed with his parents to Audubon County, and remained with them until his majority.During this time he followed breaking up prairie and farming.In 1884 he was married to Miss Ida W. Rice. Mr. and Mrs. Luse have one daughter Nellie I. Mrs. Luse is the daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Downing) Rice. On quitting his farm Mr. Luse bought the stock of goods belonging to H. B. Shelby, which consisted of a general stock. He has built up a large trade, and is well and favorably known as proprietor of the Farmers' Store, and dehorner. Mr. Luse has invented a machine for dehorning cattle, with which he has re moved the horns of hundreds of cattle. The machine is simple in construction and swift in action, and promises to be the means of making him a fortune. This practice of de-horning cattle is now generally approved.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 754.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top