IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


G


SAMUEL M. GARDNER, was born in Hancock County, Maine, June 8, 1861, and is the son of J. S. and Lydia F. (Appleton) Gardner, also natives of the State of Maine.He is the eleventh child of a family of sixteen, and remained in his native place until his nineteenth year. He attended the public schools and was graduated from the High School.On first coming to Iowa he located at Cedar Rapids, and engaged in the carpenter's trade, which he had learned from his father while he was yet at home. He remained in Cedar Rapids three years, and then engaged with Fairbanks, Moss & Company, in the construction of windmills and tanks. He remained with this firm, at work on the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad, for two years. In 1881, December 6, Mr. Gardner was married to Miss Pina L. Patterson, daughter of Robert H. and Laura L. (Nye) Patterson. Mrs. Gardner was born at Pine Mills, Muscatine County, Iowa, Jannary 10, 1859. Three children have been born of this marriage Olive Elizabeth, Willis Miles and Alice Appleton. Immediately after their wedding Mr. and Mrs. Gardner came to Audubon County, and settled on a farm of 160 acres of partially improved land, which they made their home for two years. At the expiration of that time they returned to Muscatine County, and spent the summer there; then they came back to Audubon County, where they have since made their home. Mr. Gardner has added to his first purchase of land 240 acres, making 400 acres in all, lying in sections 1, 2 and 3, GreeleyTownship. He has made many valuable improvements, and has made a decided success in the business, although he knew nothing about it when he settled on the farm.Politically he is a staunch Republican, taking an active interest in the welfare of the party. He has been twice elected delegate to the State convention, and has acted as chairman of the RepublicanTownship committee. Mr. Gardner and familyare worthy people, and enjoy the respect of the citizens of the community in which they live.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 810.

JACOB GARRATT, one of the agriculturists of Viola Township, has been a resident of Audubon County since 1883. He was born in the Dominion of Canada, Province of Ontario, in August, 1850.His father, Edward Garratt, was a native of England, and his mother, Mary A. Stong, was born in Canada. Eight children were born to the parents, of whom Jacob is the sixth. He received a commonschool education, and was trained to the duties of a farmer's son, his father removing to Ogle County, Illinois, and settling on a farm there. The father died in Cook County, Illinois, in 1866, and the mother died in 1854. Jacob Garratt spent most of his youth in Ogle County, Illinois, and later removed to Cook County, which he made his home until 1867.He then went back to Ogle County, and was there married to Miss Susan E. Sanborn, of that county, a daughter of Ambrose Sanborn, Esq. In October, 1883, Mr. Garratt removed to Audubon County, Iowa, and settled on a farm in section 9, Viola Township. The farm consists of 120 acres, and is well improved, with a good residence, and buildings for stock. While he is no political aspirant, our subject votes the Democratic ticket. He commenced life for himself with limited means, and today owns valuable property. Mrs. Garratt's mother was Elizabeth Good, Mrs. Garratt being her eldest daughter.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 775.

FRANK GARROUTTE, a most thorough andenterprising farmer of Douglas Township, was born in Brown County, Ohio, near Fayetteville, November 28, 1851. He is a son of John W. Garroutte, who is a native of Ohio, and a farmer and carpenter by vocation. His mother was a Miss Morsmon, also a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Levi and Rachel Morsmon. The family of Garrouttes are of French extraction. After his marriage John W. Garroutte settled in Brown County, Ohio. He and his wife are the parents of two children, boys Birk and Frank, bothof whomare living.Frank Garroutte obtained his education in the district school, which offered very limited advantages at that early day.He was trained to the occupation of a farmer, and that his training was excellent is shown by the model condition of his farm today.When he was two years old his parents removed to Dallas County, Iowa, where his father died two years afterward. His mother and brother still reside in Dallas County, Iowa. He continued to live with them until fifteen years of age. He was united in marriage, June 6, 1880, to Miss Jennie Merryman, of Dallas County, Iowa, a daughter of Henry and Christina (Wolbert) Merryman, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania respectively.The Merrymans were descendants of a Scotch family, and the Wolberts were of English ancestry. Soon after his marriage Mr. Garroutte removed to Audubon County, and settled on a farm in Leroy Township. He remained there two years, devoting his time to the improvement and cultivation of his farm, which he sold to George C. Cook. His present farm, which is known as the Marion farm, is located in Douglas Township, and contains 160 acres of choice, fertile land, moderately improved. It is well stocked, and the greater part is seeded down to pasture. Mr. Garroutte rents other land, which he cultivates in addition to his own. Five children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Garroutte. Two are living Dora and Emery.Katie, Barbara and Horace were stricken down in 1888 by that dread disease, diphtheria.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 823.

RICHARD GAULT, a farmer and extensive stockshipper, of Exira Township, was born in the City of Brotherly Love, August 21, 1834. He is the fourth of a family of six children of Francis and Deborah (Stewart) Gault, the father being from the north of Ireland, and the mother a native of Aberdeen, Scotland. The parents of Richard Gault removed from Philadelphia to Wisconsin, and remained there two years.In 1853 they settled in Appanoose County, and in 1854 they moved to Audubon County, Iowa, and settled on a farm near Exira; there the father died in 1871, and the mother in 1868.The subject of this notice passed his early boyhood in his native city, receiving the advantages of a cityschool education. After leaving school he learned the cutlery trade, working at it three and a half years. When his parents removed to Wisconsin he accompanied them, but when they went to Iowa he remained behind until they were entirely settled in the new home. May 1, 1860, Mr. Gault married Mary L. Herrick, the daughter of Alvin and Pauline Herrick, who were early settlers of the county.She was born in the State of Massachusetts. By this union six children were born -- Henry F., Augusta C., Mildred A., wife of John B. Hash, a merchant of Exira; Charles, Caroline and Anna B., the three latter being at home. Mr. Gault's present home farm, which he secured in 1858, contains 360 acres, near the waters of the Nishnabotna River; here he has erected a good residence, barns and sheds for the protection of cattle and livestock, he also has another good farm in Greeley Township, which is well stocked. Every winter he feeds about two carloads of cattle, and now has 175 head on his two farms. He is a practical farmer, and is well known throughout the county as a large dealer in livestock. He has been politically identified with his county; first, as deputy treasurer under Nathaniel Hamlin; then as county clerk, a position he held four years, from 1858 to 1862, Mr. Gault commenced his career without any capital in gold or silver; but energy and diligence and devotion to one purpose are sometimes a better capital. With these he has succeeded, and today is the owner of a valuable estate.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 735.

MICHAEL K. GIFFORD, a retired farmer of Audubon County, Iowa, was born in Morgan County, Ohio, nearPennsville, a small Quaker village, October 1, 1824. His grandfather, Abraham Gifford, was born in the State of Maine, and removed to Ohio in 1816, and settled hear Marietta, Ohio. He was of English ancestry, and for many years was a sailor on a whaling vessel. The father of our subject was Alexander M. Gifford, also a native of Maine, born March 13, 1800.He was a farmer by occupation, and died November 16, 1884. He was married to Miss Isabel King, who died June 19, 1842, a daughter of Michael King, of English ancestry and Quaker stock. Mr. King was among the early settlers of Guernsey County, Ohio, and built the first gristmill in that part of the country. Isabel King Gifford was born July 28, 1802, in Guernsey County, Ohio.Michael K. passed his early boyhood in Morgan County, Ohio.When he was twelve years of age his parents removed to Noble County, Indiana, where he grew to manhood. The family continued their residence in Noble County until 1854, when they all removed to Cedar County, Iowa.There the parents settled permanently and passed the remainder of their days. Mr. Gifford was married May 7, 1848, to Miss Mary Ann Carman, of Allen County, Indiana. After his marriage Mr. Gifford settled in Noble County, but in 1854 removed with the family to Iowa, where he engaged in farming in Cedar County until October, 1873. Re then moved to Jasper County, remaining five years; thence to Pottawattamie County, remaining one year. In April, 1880, he moved to Audubon County and settled on 160 acres of land, for which he paid $13 per acre. He lived on this place and improved it until 1886, when he sold the farm for $25 per acre, cash in hand, since which time he has not been actively engaged in business. Mr. and Mrs. Gifford are the parents of seven children, six of whom lived to maturity Almira was born October 27, 1849, wife of Samuel T. Lambert; John W., born July 21, 1851; Charles C., born July 16, 1854; Mary, born October 27, 1857, wife of Wesley Imes; Martha, born May 6, 1860, wife of Joseph Bottenfield; Jason A., born August 9, 1862 and one child that died in infancy. When living in Cedar County, Iowa, Mr. Gifford held the office of justice of the peace for two terms. He is a member of the Wesleyan M. church, and was ordained in 1859, Junius A. Preston officiating. Mrs. Gifford was born in Steuben County, New York, May 6, 1829.She was the daughter of Charles C. and Eliza Ann Carman.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 732.

GEORGE W. C. GILLESPIE, an active and enterprising farmer of Viola Township, was born in Alabama, near Mobile, February 22, 1851, and is a son of George W. C. and Virtue (Turner) Gillespie. The mother was born in Lincolnshire, England, and the father was a native of Tennessee. He followed flatboating on the Tennessee and Mississippi rivers until he was twentysix years of age. Quitting the river, he run a plantation, engaging in cattleraising.He lost heavily in this business, and in 1848 he came to Burlington, Iowa, and purchased a sawmill, which he continued to operate for three years.In 1853 Mr. Gillespie removed to Marion County, Iowa, and located at Knoxville, where he engaged in contracting and building for six years. In 1863 he removed to Grinnell, Iowa, and resides there at the present. His children live in Iowa, excepting three. George W. C. Gillespie, Jr., passed his youth in Knoxville and Grinnell. He attended school until he was thirteen years old, when he took charge of the farm, his father being from home most of the time. At the age of twentyone years he was married to Catherine Ellis, of Grinnell, Iowa, a daughter of Solonand Phoebe Ellis. In 1874 he removed to Audubon County and settled on his present farm, when his nearest neighbor was two miles distant.He broke the first furrow on his farm, which is now under good cultivation, and has made many valuable improvements.The farm contains 160 acres, which is well stocked with highgrade animals. Mr. and Mrs. Gillespie are the parents of seven children Ross E., Gertrude M., Mary E., Nellie B., James G., Jessie L. and Celia V.Mr. Gillespie has represented his township as trustee and as road supervisor. In politics he votes the Republican ticket. He is a member of the A. O. U. W. He is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal church at Coon Rapids, of which he has been steward for eight years. The Gillespie family are of Scotch descent, the first emigrants coming to America about the time of the Revolutionary war.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 797.

DORPHUS D. GRAVES, deceased, was an active and enterprising citizen of Douglas Township. He was born in Oneida County, New York, and was a son of Austin and Mary Ann (Bishop) Graves, natives of the State of New York. When Dorphus D. was two and a half years old his parents removed to Marion, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, and received a common school education. He began to learn the printer's trade at Marion, and later worked at it in Springfield, Ohio.He afterward drifted west, and stopped at some of the river towns in the State of Iowa. Finally he went to Johnson County, Iowa, and settled on a farm eight miles from Iowa City.Mr. Graves was married to Miss Malinda Hawley, of Johnson County, Iowa, a daughter of Jesse and Eliza (Brown) Hawley, who had removedto Johnson County from Ohio. After his marriage Mr. Graves continued farming, and afterward removed to Keokuk County, and in 1882 he came to Audubon County, locating on a farm in section 2, Douglas Township, known as the John Morrow farm; the place contains 320 acres. Mr. Graves was an enterprising and energetic farmer; he fed large numbers of cattle and hogs, which he shipped to eastern markets. He was an active member of the United Brethren church, serving many years as trustee, classleader and steward of the society. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him, and his loss was deeply felt in the community. He left a wife and six children to mourn his death, which occurred June 11, 1887. The children are named as follows Mary E., wife of William Gipple; Jesse A., Calvin D., Murtle D., Walter D. and Leonard B.Mr. Graves was a staunch Republican, and took an active interest in the success of the party. Mrs. Graves carries on the farm, with the assistance of her sons. She is a woman of ability, and has been successful in the management of the property left her; she is a devoted member of the United Brethren church.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 785.

GEORGE GRAY.There is no one among the business men of Audubon who has given the grain trade a greater impetus, who has added more to the commercial and financial standing of the town, who has pushed her interests farther, than George Gray. He started his business almost with the birth of the town, and no one has stuck to his purpose more tenaciously than the subject of thisbrief biography.Mr. Gray was born on a farm in the State of Vermont, August 9, 1886. He is the youngest of a family of eleven children, and is a son of William and Isabel (Roben) Gray; the father was a native of Vermont, a sturdy farmer, and a man of great strength of purpose and force of character; after his marriage he settled in Caledonia County, Vermont, where he lived the remainder of his days; he died at the age of seventytwo years. The mother was born in Scotland, and was of a strong mind, and of a vigorous constitution; she died at the ripe old age of ninetytwo years.The grandfather of George Gray, William Gray, was a descendant from an old Scotch family. George Gray passed his youth in his native county, receiving his education in the common school and in a seminary.On reaching his twentyfirst year he started in the battle of life on his own account. Drifting as far west as Stark County, Illinois, he was employed to work on a farm for $20 per month; as his means increased he invested in land, and was soon able to begin farming his own land; he devoted considerable time in stockraising, and was very successful in this. He continued to invest in land. While yet living in Illinois he bought 1,160 acres of land in Audubon County, and 160 in Union County, Iowa.While residing in Illinois he improved over 1,000 acres. Having disposed of his property in Illinois, he removed to Stuart, Iowa, where he engaged in the grain, lumber and stock business; he carried this on successfully for seven years, during which time he purchased 4,000 acres of land in Audubon and Carroll counties, the whole of which he improved. In one season he sowed 3,000 acres to wheat, and the season being favorable, he realized a handsome profit on it.In 1880 Mr. Gray began dealing in wheat in Audubon; this he shipped to Chicago and intermediate points. He has erected an elevator at the town of Gray on the Northwestern Railroad, at a cost of $10,000; besides his elevator, he has two large warehouses at Audubon, and one at Ross, Iowa. He still carries on farming in connection with his grain dealing. He has also shipped stock, principally handling that of his own raising. In 1874 Mr.Graywas married to Miss Fannie A. Spencer, a woman of unusual purity and force of character. She was a native of Stark County, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Gray are the parents of one son George S. Gray. The mother died November 9, 1888; the very large number attending the last rites of interment attested the love and honor in which she was held. Mr. Gray takes an active part in politics, affiliating with the Republican party; he has served as delegate tothe congressional and judicial conventions. He is publicspirited, and liberal in contributing in any enterprise tending to benefit the community.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 800.

HOWARD J. GREEN, deceased, was born in the State of New York, RensseIaer County, May 4, 1828. His parents were Allen and Clarissa Green, natives of New York. The youth of Mr. Green was passed in his native county in attending the public schools.At the age of sixteen years he went to Williamstown, Massachusetts, and there served an apprenticeship to a machinist for three years. After learning his trade he remained in the shops for some time. He then went to Chicopee, Massachusetts, and entered the employ of Ames & Company, continuing there three years. About this time Mr. Green was taken with the western fever, and came to Iowa, settling in Jackson County, on a farm which he cultivated three years. He then removed to Audubon County and took up his abode on his present farm. He built the first sawmill on a branch of the Botna Creek, and operated it for some time. He did all the sawing for the neighborhood, and having steam power he did a profitable business.After selling the mill he turned his attention to farming.The place he had bought on first coming to the county was raw prairie and contained eighty acres, but he has added to this until his farm now consists of 100 acres, twenty of which are in timber and the remainder under fine cultivation.Mr. Green passed from this life June 2, 1873. He was an enterprising citizen, and was filled with that public spirit to which all communities owe their advancement and growth. At the time of his death Mr. Green was a member of the board of supervisors. His political interests lay very near the interests of the Republican party. By industry and energy Mr. Green had accumulated a large estate. He was married November 28, 1850, to Miss Cordelia M. Reed, a daughter of Nelson and Theodocia (Holcomb) Reed.She was born in Granby, Connecticut, and was reared and educated in her native town. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Green Emma C., wife of John R. Thacker; Henry H., Clara A., Dewey W. (deceased), Walter W., Edwin E. and Mary Grace. Mrs. Green's grandfather, Jacob Holcomb, was a soldier in the war of the Revolution.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 795.

JOHN M. GRIGGS, attorney at law, Audubon, Iowa, was born in Indiana, Marion County, near Indianapolis.He is the fourth son of a family of eleven children of Hiram Lee and Elizabeth (Hawkins) Griggs. His father was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, in 1803, and his mother, Elizabeth Hawkins, in Bath County, Kentucky. His father is still living and resides at Monrovia, Morgan County, Indiana. The father is a Methodist Episcopal minister, and has devoted many years to that service.John M. was reared in central Indiana. His father being a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, their residence was frequently changed, according to the custom of that church.He began studying law while attending the Zionsville Academy, and later attended Wabash College. On the 19th of April, 1861, he enlisted in the service of our country (first call) at Indianapolis, Indiana. At the time of his first enlistment he was studying law with Colonel C. C. Nave. Being discharged from first enlistment he resumed his studies with ColoneI Nave. On July 6, 1861, he again enlisted for three years' service, in response to the call for 300,000, at Centreton, Indiana, becoming a member of the Twentyfirst Indiana Volunteers, Company K. This regiment was one of the first to leave the State under the three years' call. After about eighteen months' service the regiment was changed from infantry to artillery, and was thereafter known as First Indiana Heavy Artillery.In July, 1861, he was sent to Baltimore, thence on an expedition into Accomack and Northampton counties, Virginia, thence to Fortress Monroe, thence to Newport News, Virginia. On the 4th of March, 1862, he boarded the Constitution for Ship Island, left James' Bay on March 6th, witnessed the bombardment of Fort Jackson and St. Philips.His regiment was the first at the landing at New Orleans. Upon his discharge, dated July 31, 1864, we find the following indorsement: "John M. Griggs, character good.Participated in the following engagements: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, August 5, 1862; Donaldsonville, Louisiana, September 24,1862; Bayou Des Almands, September 9, 1862; A. J. Cotton, January 14, 1863; Camp Bisland, April 12, 13 and 14, 1863; Port Hudson, May 27, 1863, to July 8, 1863, inclusive; Cane River Crossing, April 23, 1864; Marksville Plains, May 16, 1864; Yellow Bayou, May 18, 1864; Mansfield, April 8, 1864; Pleasant Hill, April 9, 1864. CLAYTON COX, Captain Company K." In August, 1864, he returned to his home in Indiana by way of the Mississippi River on board the steamer Empress, which, while en route for Cairo, was fired at by the enemy at Gaines' Tow Head. On his return to his home in Indiana he resumed his studies of law, and during intervals taught school in Marion and other counties. In 1865 he went to Emporia, Kansas; remained there but a short time and returned to Indiana by way of Iowa. In 1867 he again returned to Iowa, locating in Audubon County, Iowa, where he was admitted to the bar and commenced the practice of law, and has been a resident of said county ever since. "J. M. Griggs commenced the practice of law at Exira in the year 1869, and has given the profession the closest individual attention.He moved to Audubon immediately after the county seat was moved to this city.He has never missed a term of court in the county during the whole time. Naturally a man of studious habits, he literally lives with his profession, and we can truly say he is wedded to it. He has been singularly fortunate in his practice, gaining some splendid cases.He is a bold, ardent advocate. His success depends upon his profound learning, his clear judgment, undaunted courage, loyalty to his clients, his veracity and perfect understanding of his case. Taken altogether, he stands second to no lawyer of the bar of Audubon County." H. F. ANDREWS in Advocate, January 1, 1881.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 758.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top