IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


E & F


ALLEN J. EDDY, a prominent stockraiser of Leroy Township, was born in Lake County, Ohio, December 21, 1839. He is the second son and youngest of four children of Benjamin and Lavina Eddy, natives of the State of Vermont and New York respectively. Bothparents died in Johnson County, Iowa. Mr. Eddy's paternal grandfather fought in the war of the Revolution. Our subject received his earlier education in Lake County, Ohio, where his parents had settled after their marriage.When he was twelve years of age the family removed to Johnson County, Iowa, going by way of the lakes to Chicago,thencethrough the country with teams to Johnson County, where Allen grew to manhood.He enlisted in the Fourteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company F, when there was a call for men to defend their country's flag. He was assigned to the western department of the army and belonged to the Sixteenth Army Corps, then undercommand of GeneralGrant. Mr. Eddy took part in the following battles: Fort Donelson, Shiloh, Corinth, where his regiment suffered great loss, about half the men being taken prisoners, and was then ordered back to Davenport, Iowa, where the regiment was reorganized. They were then ordered to Columbus, Kentucky, at which point they were stationed for some time. The regiment was then ordered up the Red River, General Smithcommanding, and took part in the battle of Pleasant Hill, where 286 Union men were lost out of 600. After this battle the regiment was ordered to Missouri and followed General Price. Mr. Eddy's term of enlistment having expired he was sent to Davenport, where he received his pay and was honorably discharged November 9, 1864. Although taking part in nine regular battles, and his comrades being shot down by his side, he escaped without a scratch; but he had some holes shot through his clothing. He returned to Johnson County, Iowa, and farmed for two years, and then removed to Harrison County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits for eight years.He then returned to Johnson County on account of the grasshopper raid, from which he suffered a heavy loss. In 1880 he removed to Audubon County, Iowa, with his family, and purchased 160 acres of land, sixty of which were broken. He put the remainder under fine cultivation and made many improvements. He has a bank barn, which affords the best protection to live stock, corn cribs, and all buildings necessary to farming. Mr. Eddy was united in marriage to Miss Maria Elliott, of Johnson County, Iowa. She was born in Miami County, Ohio, and is the eldest daughter of George and Mary Elliott. Mr. and Mrs. Eddy have had eleven children, seven of whom survive Oren W., Hattie, wife of Baker; Emma J., Henry J., Irvin, Alice Maud and Bernie H.Mr. and Mrs. Eddy are devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal church.Mr. Eddy has served as road supervisor, and he is a member of the G. A. R., Allison Post, No. 34.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 752.

AMOS FANCHER, of Cameron Township, has been identified with the history of Audubon County, Iowa, since the year 1880. He was born in Keokuk County, near Sigourney, September 13, 1856, and is a son of William and Rebecca Fancher, natives of Pennsylvania. Amos Fancher is the youngest son of a family of nine children, two sisters being younger than he. He was reared to the life of a farmer, and received a fair education in the common schools. He remained with his parents until he reached his twentyfirst year, when he took up the responsibilities of life and began seeking the fortune the world might hold for him. His first investment was in forty acres of land, on which he lived two years. At the end of that time, in the spring of 1880, he came to Audubon County andbought 160 acres of raw prairie laud.Later he made an additional purchase of eighty acres, and afterward he bought forty acres more, making 280 acres in all. Mr. Fancher's principal success has been in raising hogs.He also feeds a large number of cattle, and is rearing some high grades of horses. All the improvements upon the farm have been made by Mr. Fancher. He has erected a comfortable residence, a goodbarn, and other necessary buildings. In 1884 occurred the marriage of Amos Fancher and CoraStoops, a daughter of Joseph and Harriet Stoops, and a native of Mahaska County, Iowa. They are the parents of three children Stella, Myrtle, and an infant unnamed.Mr. Fancher adheres to the principles of the Democratic party.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 784.

DAVID FERGUSON, deceased, was a citizen of Leroy Township, one of its early settlers, highly esteemed, and widely and favorably known, not only in Audubon County but in adjoining counties.Mr. Ferguson was born in the State of Pennsylvania, Indiana County, January 26, 1832.His parents were Hans and Margaret (Shields) Ferguson, both natives of Pennsylvania. Hans Ferguson, the father of our subject, was a farmer by occupation; he followed this pursuit until his death, which occurred in early life.His wife, Margaret Ferguson, who survives him still, resides in Cedar County, Iowa, to which place she moved with her family in 1857; she is the mother of eleven children, nine of whom are living; she is now in her eightythird year, and in reasonably good health. David Ferguson moved to Cedar County with his mother, and in 1876 came to Audubon County, and purchased the farm now occupied by his sister, Mrs. Charles H. Weeks. The farm at the time of purchase contained 120 acres without improvements.He broke the land, built a good residence, barn and other buildings necessary to carry on successful farming. The place is situated on the east bank of the Nishnabotna River.Mr. Ferguson planted numerous trees which serve not only as a windbreak, but add very much to the appearance of the place. After a successful career, David Ferguson died, August 7, 1885; and thus passed away one of Audubon's honored and beloved citizens. His funeral was the largest ever occurring in the county.He had never married and Mrs. Weeks had been his housekeeper for many yearsbefore his death; he had deeded his farm to her before his death. He had not only been an honored citizen, but he had assisted in the defense of his country, serving her faithfully for three years. He was a member of Company H, Thirtyfifth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, and was assigned to the western army. He took part in the Red River campaign under Banks's command; in the battle of Nashville, Tennessee, under General Thomas; and was wounded in a battle in Mississippi; he also took part in the battle of Pleasant Hill, the siege of Vicksburg, and other important engagements. In July, 1865, he was honorably discharged at Muscatine, Iowa. He was a member of Allison Post, No. 34, G. A. R.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 732.

ELIAS FISCUS, an early settler and active farmer of Douglas Township, was born in the Hoosier State, in Owen County, May 7, 1837. His father, Levi Fiscus, an early settler of Indiana, was born in South Carolina, and was a son of Frederick Fiscus, a native of Germany. His mother was Barbara Ann Concanour, a daughter of Jacob Concanour. She was reared in Owen County, whither her parents had removed when she was a child. Levi Fiscus and family removed to Marshall County, Iowa, where his wife died in 1866.He died at the residence of his son, Adam Fiscus, in Audubon County, October 4, 1884, aged sixtynine years. There were seven children in the family, six of whom are living, Elias being the oldest. He received a commonschool education in Owen County, and remained on the farmwith his parents until his twentyfirst year. He then began to learn the carpenter and cabinetmaker's trade, which he followed many years. He has worked at the trade some since he began farming.In the fall of 1865 he removed to Marshall County, Iowa, locating upon a farm nine miles northwest of Marshalltown.He resided there until the fall of 1870, when he removed to Shelby County and settled near Harlan. He remained there one year, and then came to Audubon County, purchasing eighty acres in section 7, Douglas Township. This land he broke out and improved, adding from time to time to his first purchase, until he now owns 259 acres in an advanced state of cultivation.The soil is fertile and is watered by the Nishnabotna River. Mr. Fiscus has been one of the pioneer stockfeeders, and has done much to advance this branch of farming in the county. In 1860 he was married to Harriet Fiscus, of Owen County, Indiana, where she was born and reared.They have four children living Benjamin F., Eliza Ann, wife of C. T. Wyley; Mary E., wife of A. H. Speas, and Walter S.Mr. Fiscus has served ninny years as township clerk, notary public and land agent. He takes an active part in politics, affiliating with the Democratic party. He is often chosen a delegate to conventions, a position he is well calculated to fill. He began the business of making a name for himself without any capital excepting that with which Nature had endowed him energy and determination to succeed. That he has prospered is very evident to him who looks over the broad fields and cultivated lands belonging to our subject. He is a man highly respected in the community, and is well worthy the regard in which he is held. Mrs. Fiscus died January 30, 1888. She was a devoted member of the Christian church. Mr. Fiscus also belongs to this church, and is one of its elders. He is the inventor of the Automatic Grain Weigher and Register, patented October 30, 1888, No. 391,888.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 788.

WILSON FISCUS. This energetic and substantial agriculturist, a resident of Douglas Township, was born in Owen County, Indiana, March 19, 1847, and is a son of John A. and Elizabeth (Boen) Fiscus. John A. Fiscus was born in North Carolina, and there grew to manhood. He removed to Indiana when a young man, and was there married, settled in Owen County, and passed the remainder of his days. Wilson Fiscus was reared to manhood in his native county, his time being divided between farm work and attending the district school. His father, who was a neat and careful farmer, instructed him thoroughly in all the details of farming. In 1868 Mr. Fiscus was married to Emma Dean, of Owen County, Indiana.Her parents were Fenton and Elizabeth Dean. In the fall of 1872, after spending several years upon the farm in Owen County, Mr. Fiscus removed with his family to Marshall County, Iowa, and resided there two years. From the latter county he came to Audubon County and purchased a farm of 123 acres.The land is of the most choice, being very fertile and drained by the waters of the Nishnabotna River. His residence is a substantial building, attractively surrounded by a beautiful grove. His farm is well stocked with cattle and hogs of the best grades. He contends that a fine animal eats no more than a poor one, and that in the end it pays to have the high breeds. Mr. and Mrs. Fiscus have had born to them two children Eugene W. and E. Bessie.They are devoted members of the Christian church, and regular attendants atSabbathschool. Mr. Fiscus is an elder of the church. In politics he is rather conservative, but as a rule he votes the Democratic ticket in National and State affairs. He has held several township offices, and is the present incumbent of the treasurer's office, which he has held a number of terms. He has acquitted himself with credit, and to the satisfaction of the public.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 823.

BYRON G. FOREMAN, proprietor of the livery, feed and sale stables, Audubon, Iowa, was born near Delaware, Delaware County, Ohio, April 24, 1852. He is the oldest son of David A. and Lydia A. (Dodds) Foreman. The mother was born in Ohio, and the father was a native of the State of Pennsylvania, a farmer by occupation, and an early settler of Ohio.B. G. Foreman removed with his parents to Grundy County, Illinois, and settled on a farm; there the parents resided for many years, and are now living in Morris, Illinois. Six children were born to them, four of whom are living. The subject of this notice grew to manhood in Grundy County, Illinois, and received his education in the common schools.He began his career as a farmer and dealer in livestock in Grundy County, making horses a specialty. He resided there until he came to Audubon County, when he began house and buggy painting, at $2 per day, for John Esley. He remained in his employ for two years, and then was compelled to abandon the trade on account of ill health. He then began trading in livestock and town property, in which he has been very successful. He has built extensive sheds and stables for the feeding of horses, and the accommodation of farmers' teams.He buys large numbers of horses, fattening them for the home, Dakota and eastern markets. In 1889 Mr. Foreman erected a barn and sheds for the accommodation of 100 teams, and opened a firstclass livery stable.He has goodbuggies, carriages, hacks, and everything for the business; he also gives attention to the breeding of fine draft horses. Mr. Foreman was married in 1875 to Miss Ella G. Stoneback, of Grundy County, Illinois, the youngest daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Stoneback. They have one little daughter Georgiana E.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 783.

JOHN H. FRAHM.The Stuart House, Audubon, Iowa, was built by John H. Frahm in 1882.It is a twostory brick front, located on the corner of Broadway and Market streets, and is comfortably furnished and well kept. Mr. Frahmwas born in North Germany, which was once a portion of Denmark, April 16, 1854. He was educated in his native tongue, and also acquired a knowledge of the English language.At the age of sixteen years he left school and became a landscape gardener, in which science and art he grew to be an expert. His parents, John and Anna (Neve) Frahm, had born to them eight children, three of whom still survive.The father and mother are both deceased.In 1875 Mr. Frahm emigrated to America, landing in the city of New York; thence he came to Iowa, engaging in various kinds of work in Davenport for some time. InOctober, 1878, he came to Audubon County, this being the time of the countyseat contest. The first business in which he embarked was that of keeping a restaurant, which was followed by a regular hotel business.In April, 1881, he opened a new hotel, which was called the Farmers' Home. This he managed a few years and then sold, after which he traveled through the western States and Territories, visiting California, Washington Territory and Oregon. He then made a visit to his old home in Germany, returning to the United States in the spring of 1884.Coming toAudubon County he again opened a hotel, and has since carried on the business successfully. Mr. Frahm was married to Rosaphine H. C. Hansen, a native of Germany, residing at the time of her marriage in the State of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Frahm have had two children Anna M. C. and Maria T., who died in infancy. Mr. Frahm owns a good farm in Cass County, which contains 160 acres, all well improved, and under good cultivation. Mr. Frahm began his career without any capital, but has accumulated a comfortable living by industry and wise management.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 751.

ORSON B. FRANCISCO is the manager of the Green Bay Lumber Cornpany at Gray, Iowa.This company does a large business in the way of handling lumber, cedar posts, lime,hair, cement, stucco, hard and soft coal.Mr. Francisco, who has proven himself a most efficient man for the place, came to Gray in 1884, and took charge of the business which had been established in 1881.He was born in the State of New York, near Schenectady, June 13, 1850, and is the youngest of a family of nine children of Cornelius W. and Mary A. (Davis) Francisco. The parents grew to maturity in their native State, New York, and in 1851 they emigrated to Lake County, Illinois, residing therefor two years.Thence they went to Grant County, Wisconsin, where the father lived the remainder of his days; he died in 1865, and his wife, who survives him, makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Gulliford, in Sac County, Iowa. She is now in her eightythird year and is in the full possession of all her faculties.Her husband was born in 1805. Their children are named as follows Sarah, Mary, Cornelia, Elizabeth D., Elisha, Nicholas J., D. Marvin, Andrew J., Orson B., and Elizabeth, who died in her twentieth year.Until his fifteenth year Orson B. lived in his native county; he attended the district school, and later the high School of Boscobel, Wisconsin.He taught school thirteen terms, from six to nine months long, in Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota. His father dying when he was but fourteen years old, he was thrown upon his own resources. He did not continue in the profession of teaching, but accepted a position on the government survey through the Territory of Dakota; at the end of one year he made a trip into the Yellowstone countryup the Missouri, and then returned to Wisconsin, where he was married to Mary H. Winn, a daughter of John and Maria (Griffith) Winn. Mrs. Francisco was born in the State of Illinois, but grew to womanhood in Wisconsin. They are the parents of four children Mark C., Edgar, Lulu Belle, Winnie O. Edgar died in infancy.Mr. Francisco is a member of Utopia Lodge, No. 161, I. O. O. F., at Gray;of the Knights of Pythias, No. 166, at Manning, Iowa; of the A. O. U. W., Odobolt Lodge, No. 217, and of the Hiawatha Tribe, No. 16, I. O. R. M., at Gray. In politics Mr. Francisco is rather conservative. He served as assistant postmaster nearly four years at Odobolt. The grandfather on the mother's side was Elijah Davis, of Germanand French extraction. The grandfather on the father's side, Nicholas Francisco, was of French descent, and served in the Revolutionary war. Both families are noted for their longevity.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 820.

ETHELBERT J. FREEMAN, of the firm of Freeman & Armstrong, bankers, real estate and loans, Audubon, Iowa, is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Fayette County, September 22, 1840. The father is Mordecai Freeman, a farmer and miller by occupation, a native of Pennsylvania, now residing at West Liberty, Pennsylvania. The mother is Mary Freeman; she had two sons, of whom our subject is the eldest. The brother, Leroy Walter, was killed in the late war in November, 1864, at the battle of South Side Railroad, near Petersburg, Virginia. E. J. Freeman, the subject of this notice, was educated in the common schools of his native county. In 1857 he went to McDonough County, Illinois, and followed farming and carpentry. In 1864, May 24, he enlisted in the Sixteenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, Company A; he was assigned to the department of the Army of the Cumberland; he took part in the battles of Blue Mills, Missouri; Island No. 10, and its capture; Tiptonville, Tennessee; Farmington, Mississippi; Stone River, Tennessee, and other smaller engagements; he belonged to the Second Division, Second Brigade, and the Fourteenth Army Corps. He was honorably discharged February 5, 1863, on account of disability. He then returned to McDonough County, Illinois, and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1867 he came to Audubon County, and settled on 160 acres, which he had purchased. In 1878 he was appointed agent for the town of Audubon, and for railroad lands belonging to the Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, a position which he still holds. In 1880 Mr. Freeman was elected treasurer of Audubon County, and was reelected in 1882, serving four years in all. In 1883 he formed a copartnership with A. F. Armstrong, and continued dealing in real estate and loans; in 1885 the Citizens' Bank was established and Mr. Freeman was made cashier, and still holds this position. September 13, 1862, Mr. Freeman was married to Miss Nancy Leighty, of McDonough County, Illinois, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Daniel Leighty, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Freeman have eight childrenDaniel, Eva, Edmond, William, Drew, Ethelbert, John, and a babe unnamed. Mr. Freeman was elected the first mayor of Audubon, receiving every vote that was cast. He has been chief of the fire department since the starting of the town, and now he has been chosen to operate the waterworks. He has been a member of the school board since his first residence in the county. He is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, No. 92, R. A. M.; Godfrey Commandery, No. 44, K. T. Mr. Freeman has a fine residence and comfortable surroundings. He is also a member of the Allison Post, No. 34, G. A. R.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 698.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top