IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


C


JOHN CAMERON is a member of the firm of Cameron & Webster, breeders and importers ofClydesdale horses. The celebrated horse of this firm was imported by Mr. Singmaster, of Keota, Iowa, and is registered in the Scotch Herd Book, No. 2,481, and in the American Herd Book, No. 1,108. They also breed fine jacks, having the largest herd, numbering thirteen, in the county.Mr. Cameron's farm is located in Lincoln Township, on the branches of the Nishnabotna River, and contains 120 acres; he also rents some adjoining lands, making 280 acres under his care. Mr. Cameron is a practical farmer as well as a practical stockbreeder, and has been successful in this avocation. John Cameron, the subject of this brief biography, was born in January, 1846, in the country of Nova Scotia.His father, AllenCameron, was a native of Scotland, who emigrated to Nova Scotia and became an extensive owner of pine lands, and for several years was largelyengaged in the lumbering interests. He became heavily involved by aiding his friends in endorsing paper, so that upon his removal to Carroll County, Illinois, he was in moderate circumstances.His wife, Catherine Cameron, was also a native of Scotland. The grandfather of our subject was Alexander Cameron, who emigrated with his family from Scotland to Nova Scotia. The grandfather on the mother's side was Donald Cameron, also a Scotchman. John Cameron passed his early boyhood and school days in Carroll County, Illinois; later he attended a select school for a period of six months. His father dying soon after the removal of the family to Illinois, he was deprived of paternal care; his older brother took charge of the family, and gave what assistance his years were capable of giving. In the spring of 1868 Mr. Cameron, in company with his brotherinlaw, Robert Gunn, came to Audubon County, and located on lands in section 16, which afterward were named Cameron Township, in honor of the Cameron family, he and Mr. Gunn turning the first furrow of land in the township. After breaking out his farm, and making some improvements, he returned to Illinois, and then took a trip to Colorado, in search of wealth, working in the mines which promised to be remunerative. After the lapse of a few years he returned to Audubon County, and settled on his present farm which was new and unimproved; he has placed the land under fine cultivation, and has made many valuable improvements in the way of buildings. Mr. Cameron was married in 1879 to Mrs. Sarah Dustin, of Exira, Audubon County, her par. cuts being early settlers of the county. By this union three children have been born Allen B., Grace M. and James L.<
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 821-822.

WILLIAM G. CAMERON, who was one of the first settlers in Cameron Township, has become a leading agriculturist and stockraiser in that part of the county. He settled upon his home farm in 1878, removing from the State of Vermont, in which he was born in September, 1836. His father, a most thorough business man, and the owner of a large property, was John Cameron, a descendant of Puritan stock. His mother was Jane Gray, a native of Vermont, and a most estimable woman, the mother of several children, of whom William G. is the oldest. His early childhood and school days were passed in his native county. His education was received in the common schools, and his father being an extensive farmer and stockraiser, he had unusual facilities for acquiring a knowledge of the management and handling of stock. In 1863William G. Cameron took a trip to California, and while there engaged in various pursuits, prospecting some for gold.Returning to Bureau County, Illinois, he carried on farming, and traded in livestock for a time. He then returned to his native State, Vermont, but as the tide of emigration drifted westward he made up his mind to return, and as several of his friends had settledin Audubon County, Iowa, he settled there also.His first purchase was 640 acres of land on section 21, Cameron Township, which was at that time open prairie.He began the task of breaking out the new farm, fencing it, and stocking it with cattle and hogs.In this enterprise he has been very successful, and as his means increased he has added to his first purchase of land until he now owns 1,440 acres; the land is not hilly, but is undulating, with an occasional gentle roll.All is enclosed with a good substantial fence, 200 acres being devoted to raising corn, and the balance being seeded down to grass.In 1886 Mr. Cameron erected his large barn; when the framework was up ready to be enclosed it was struck by a cyclone and blown to the ground. The wreck was cleared away, and it was immediately rebuilt.It is one of the largest barns in the western part of the State, and everything is arranged with an eye to convenience, as well as for the protection and comfort of the livestock. The farm is well stocked with highgrade cattle, hogs and horses; every department of the farm has the direct and careful supervision of Mr. Cameron. In 1876 Mr. Cameron was united in marriage to Miss Eliza Crief, of Bureau County, Illinois, a most excellent person, and the possessor of many womanly qualities; she was born in Pennsylvania, and removed to Illinois with her parents in her girlhood. Politically Mr. Cameron is a man of pronounced views, and in matters pertaining to the State and National affairs he affiliates with the Republican party.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 817-818.

MARTIN L. CAPPER [**See NOTE below re: MARTIN L. CARPER], who is one of the many successful farmers and stockgrowers of Melville Township, Audubon County, Iowa, is a native of West Virginia, born in Berkley County, September 26, 1842. He is the third son of Samuel and Margaret (Hite) Capper, natives of Pennsylvania, of German ancestry. They were early settlers in that part of Virginia, and followed the most honorable calling known to mankind, farming. In the early autumn of 1855 Samuel Capper removed to Iowa with his family and settled in Henry County, near the town of Trenton.There the parents again took up farming and passed the remainder of their days. The mother died in the fall of 1879, and the father in the winter of the same year. They were the parents of nine children, eight of whom grew to maturity. Martin L. passed his youthful days in Henry County, Iowa, attending the common schools and doing the ordinary farm work usually falling to a farmer's son.Besides the work he did at home he hired to the neighbors, improving every opportunity offered him for earning an honest dollar. He was united in marriage October 22, 1868, to Miss Jane Pratt, of Henry County, Iowa, the youngest daughter of Lewis and Ellen Pratt, natives of New York and New Jersey respectively. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Capper lived on a farm, and in the spring of 1877 they came to Audubon County, settling on forty acres of land in Leroy Township. In 1879 Mr. Capper traded for the eighty acres on which he now lives, in section 6, Melville Township. Here he erected the necessary buildings, broke his land, and made many good improvements, including a fiveacre grove, which he planted. He has been a successful farmer in all the different departments. Mr. and Mrs. Capper are the parents of seven children Flora, Anna, Ralph, Charles, John, Samuel and Alice Mary. In political belief Mr. Capper is independent, but in national matters he votes the Democratic ticket, always reserving the right of voting for the best man, irrespective of party lines. Both Mr. and Mrs. Capper are acceptable members of the Methodist Episcopal church, worshiping at present at Bethel church. Being fully absorbed in farm life and its duties, Mr. Capper never sought public office, holding no such positions, except that of school director. As one views this worthy man's lifework he can but feel that his way is the true way to liveindependent, free and happy, surrounded as he is by all the ordinary comforts of life, possessing the knowledge that his duty has been well performed.
**NOTE: Surname correctly spelling "CARPER" in the original Table of Contents Biographical Index, but incorrectly spelled "CAPPER" in the original biography text Transcribed exactly as printed.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 751-752.

ROBERT C. CARPENTER is a native of the State of Kentucky, born in Bath County, near Owensville, June 12,1824. Levi Carpenter, his father, was a native of the same State, and a son of Michael Carpenter, of German ancestry, who was among the early settlers of Kentucky. Susan (Moore) Carpenter, mother of Robert C., was born in Kentucky, andis a daughter of Robert Moore, also a native of Kentucky. Levi Carpenter was for many years a resident of Kentucky, but removed from Bath County to Morgan County, Indiana, and resided there until he went to Poweshiek County, Iowa, where he died in 1870.His wife survived himuntil 1882. She wasthe mother of eight children, four of whom are living. Robert C. Carpenter passed the greater part of his youthin Morgan County, Indiana. He received such advantages as were afforded by the common schools of that day. He remained with his parents until his twentyfirst year, when he began farming in Morgan County on his own account. In1851 he bade farewell to the Hoosier State and emigrated to Poweshiek County, Iowa, which was at thattime considered the frontier. There he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1868.Since that time he has been engaged in the law and general farming, which he pursued until 1878, when he removed to Audubon County. He first settled in Viola Township, two miles west of the farm which he now owns.He remained there two years, and at the end of that time he moved to his present farm on section 15. He has eighty acres of as choice land as Audubon County affords. The place is well improved and is one of the neatest little farms in that part of the county. In 1846Mr. Carpenter was united in marriage to Miss Mahala Thurman, a second cousin to Allen Thurman, of Ohio. Mrs. Carpenter was born in Highland County, Ohio, December 22, 1822, and removed with her parents to Morgan County, Indiana, when a young girl. Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter have had born to themnine children Frank M., John C., Levi T., Mary, wife of Harlin Griffen; Robert M., Malissa Ann, Sarah C., Anderson C. and Dora. Mr. Carpenter has served as justice of the peace over thirty years, and has held many other township offices, always acquitting himself honorably and with much credit. He has also served as county supervisor for four years. Politically he gives his undivided support to the issues of the Democratic party. He is a member of La Fayette Lodge, No. 52, A. F. & A. M. He is also notary public.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 806-807.

ROBERT M. CARPENTER, Postmaster at Audubon, Iowa, was born in Poweshiek County, near Grinnell, Iowa, January 29, 1854; he is the fifth of nine children of R. C. and Mahalah (Thurman) Carpenter. The father is a native of Kentucky, who in early life removed to Ohio, where he was married, and resided for a number of years; he is still living and is a resident of Audubon County, Iowa; the mother was a native of Ohio, and was a daughter of Levi Thurman.Robert M. Carpenter passed his boyhood in his native county, attending the district school, and working on the farm in the summer time. He attendedIowa College at Grinnell, and afterward Oskaloosa, remaining in the latter schooltwo years. He began his career as a teacher, and followed this profession for nine years.In 1878 he removed to Audubon County, Iowa, and in the following year was elected superintendent of the Audubon County schools, which office he held for two terms, being elected on the Democratic ticket. In January, 1884, he became editor and proprietor of the Audubon County Advocate; he continued in this business until January 25, 1887, when he sold out the paper. October 27, 1887, he was appointed postmaster of Audubon, the appointment, being confirmed November 8, 1887; he assumed the duties of this office January 25, 1888, and is an efficient, accommodating officer. December 13, 1879, Mr. Carpenter was united in marriage to Miss Minnie A., daughter of Freeman Drake, of Audubon County, Iowa. Mrs. Carpenter was born in the State of Minnesota; they are the parents of two sons Maurice M. and Carroll C.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 806-807.

ROBERT NATHAN CARPER, of Leroy Township, Audubon County, Iowa, was born in Berkeley County, near Martinsburgh, West Virginia, August 26,1847. He is a son of Samuel and Margaret (Hite) Carper, who emigrated from Virginia to Iowa in 1856. They settled at Mount Pleasant, Henry County, where Robert N. passed his youth. At the age of eighteen he went to Warren County, Iowa; here he broke out two new farms for Andrew Pudepbaugh. He remained there nine years, and during this time was married to Miss Laura Turney, of Henry County, Iowa, December 8, 1868; she is a daughter of Daniel and Lilah (Wilcox) Turney. After their marriage they settled on a farm near Lacona, where they resided until the fall of 1877. They then came to Audubon, and Mr. Carper bought a farm of 120 acres, which he improved and sold; he then bought 160 acres, which he improved and disposed of; he then purchased his present farm of eighty acres, which is all well improved. He has erected a substantial residence. He has made a specialty since coming to this farm of buying horses and fitting them for market. He also gives special attention to breeding Clydesdale horses, and all of his livestock are of high grades. Mr. and Mrs. Carper are the parents of eight children Fannie, Maggie, Frank, James A., Burel, Alvin B., Robert Ingersol and Emma.Mr. Carper has served as school director, but in political matters is somewhat conservative; he affiliates with the Republican party.Mr. Carper commenced life without any capital excepting that with which nature had endowed him; he has employed this to the best advantage, and has accumulated a comfortable fortune.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 755-756.

WILLIAM J. CLARK, a prominent farmer of Viola Township, has been a resident of Audubon County since 1876.He was born inWarren County, Kentucky, August 30, 1840, and is the oldest son of John M. and Mary (Renshaw) Clark. The father, a native of Tennessee, is a son of John Clark, and is still living, in his seventythird year, having been born January 11, 1817. The mother, Mary Renshaw, was a daughter of Andrew Renshaw, an early settler of Kentucky; she died when William J. was seven years old. In 1844 John M. Clark removed with his family to Missouri, and thence to Jo Daviess County, Illinois, spending one year in that county; he then returned to Kentucky, and in 1860 removed to Wisconsin, locating in Grant County.In 1872 he removed to Shelby County, Iowa, and is still living there.He was twice married, and William J. is the oldest of the children of the first marriage. A biography of JohnM. Clark appears in the history of Shelby County.The boyhood of William J. Clark was passed in Kentucky and Wisconsin, his education being obtained in the common schools of the former State.His father being a farmer he was trained to agricultural pursuits. At the age of fourteen years he went to Wisconsin with his father, and remained with him until the breaking out of the civil war, when he enlisted in Company M, Third Wisconsin Cavalry, and was assignedto the western department of the army. He took part in the battles of Cabin Creek,Fort Gibson, Honey Springs, and skirmished through Missouri and Arkansas. He servedhis country faithfully for three years, three months and eight days, and was not wounded or taken prisoner. In March, 1865, he was sent to Madison,Wisconsin, and there received his final discharge. He then repaired to the mining district of Wisconsin, and worked in the lead mines for two years.The three years following he was engaged in farming in Wisconsin, and in 1872 he removed to Shelby County, Iowa, and resided there until 1876, when he came to Audubon County, as before stated. He purchased a farm on section 8, Viola Township, which contained 160 acres of raw prairie, paying $5 per acre; this place has been unproved and brought to a high state of cultivation by Mr. Clark. In 1888 he bought a tract of improved land in sections 4 and 5, which contains 174 acres. Since his residence in Audubon County he has devoted his time to general farming. Mr. Clark was united in marriage in December, 1866, to Serena J., the oldest daughter of Greenberg and Charlotte (Henderson) Thompson, natives of Mississippi. At the time of their marriage Mrs. Clark lived in Grant County, Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Clarkare the parents of eight children John G., Emma S., Albert S., Sophrona M., Ella C., Martha, and Charlotte, who died in infancy. In National and State politics Mr. Clark is a straight Democrat. He has served as township trustee, school director, and as road supervisor. Mr. Clark began his career at the bottom round of the ladder, but by industry, honorable dealing and perseverance he has risen to a position of financial independence.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 789-790.

JOHN F. CLOUGHLY, physician and surgeon, Audubon, Iowa, was born in Canada, in April, 1858. He is a son of John and Sarah (Kirkland) Cloughly, who came to the United States when our subject was nine years old. The father, when in business, was actively engaged in the boot andshoe trade, and is now residing in Bucklin, Missouri. The mother died soon after coming to the UnitedStates. Dr. Cloughly spent his boyhood at Mitchellville, Iowa; he was educated at Mitchellville College, and at the Central University at Pella, Iowa. He began the study of medicine at Mitchellville, Iowa, under Dr. T. Seemes. He then went to Keokuk, Iowa, where he entered the College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from that institution in 1878. He practiced his profession for five years, and then entered the medical college at Louisville, Kentucky, graduating in 1883. In 1878 Dr. Cloughly came to Audubon, where he has built up a large practice.In 1884 he erected a business block, two stories high, with basement; the basement is occupied by the Advocate, the first floor by a drug store, and the second floor by offices and a photograph gallery. He was married in January, 1886, to Miss Minnie Shoesmith of North Branch, GuthrieCounty, Iowa, who was a daughter of Stephen Shoesmith. The Doctor is a prominent Mason, and is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392. He commenced life without means, and by close application to his profession he has acquired a handsome property; his drug store contains a large and wellselected stock of goods, and is complete in every department. He transacts a large and profitable business, and is a most genial and agreeable gentleman. Dr. John F. Cloughly departed this life in January, 1889, after the notes of this brief biography had been given by him.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 799-800.

WILLIAM CLOUGHLY, druggist, Audubon, Iowa, has been identified with the interests of the town from its very beginning. He came to the county before railroads were built, and before the location of the town, and started the first drug store, and has never been out of the drug trade. Mr. Cloughly was born at Lansdown, Thousand Islands, Canada, July 22, 1852, and is a son of John and Sarah (Kirkland) Cloughly; the father is a native of Ireland, and a farmer by occupation. They lived in Canada until 1866, when they removed to Iowa, and settled in Winterset, Madison County, where the mother died; the father is now managing a ranch in Missouri.Willlam left home in his thirteenth year to learn the blacksmith's trade at Lansdown, Canada; he served five years, and then came to the United States, stopping at Mitchellville, Polk County, Iowa, where he worked at his trade. During his stay at Mitchellville he began the study of pharmacy, and then came to Audubon and opened his drug store. In 1879 he began buying horses for the western markets, shipping them to all parts of Dakota and Missouri. In 1886 he began breeding horses from very fine stock, and now haseighty head of bloodedcolts inside the corporate limits of Audubon on pasture. He owns 160 acres of land in Melville Township.Mr. Cloughly was married July 12, 1883, to Miss Mary Loney, a daughter of Hugh Loney, whom he had known in childhood in Canada. They have one daughter Augusta. Mr. Cloughly is a member of the city council, a position he has held for six years.He is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, No. 93, R. A. M., and GodfreyCommandery, No. 44, K. T. Politically he is rather conservative, but in National and State elections he votes the Democratic ticket. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias, of the I. O. O. F. and Encampment, and of the I. O. R. M. He has been a liberal contributor to the churches.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 824.

CHARLES A. W. COLEE, a native of Shelby County, Indiana, was born March 6, 1854, and is a son of Julius and Mary (Oliphant) Colee, natives of Indiana and North Carolina respectively. He was reared to the life of a farmer,and obtained his education In the common schools. At the age of fourteen years he went to learn the shoemaker's trade, which he followed four years. He then engaged with A. H. Hollenbeck, of Indianapolis, Indiana, as traveling salesman. He continued in this business six months, and then went to Champaign County, Illinois, and worked on a farm for two years; thence he went to Rock Island County, Illinois, and remained there for three years. There he was married August 30, 1876, to Miss Sarah Hays, a daughter of F. and Mary (Robins) Hays, who was born in Rock Island County, Illinois, July 16, 1852. They are the parents of five children Julius F., Mary Ina, Ida Fay, Orin Chatman and Charles A.After their marriage they settled on a tract of eighty acres of raw prairie in section 1, Greeley Township. Mr. Colee has added to his first purchase and now owns 120 acres of as fine land as lies within the borders of Audubon County.He has erected a beautiful frame residence in place of the small house first built upon the farm.He has also erected all the necessary buildings for stock and grain. The entire farm is seeded down to grass, and Mr. Colee devotes his time to stockraising and shipping. He also gives some attention to auctioneering, in which he is very successful.He is energetic and enterprising, and has risen to his present position of financial independence through his own efforts. Mr. Colee affiliates with the Republican party, taking an active part in the political issues of the county. He has been urged to accept various township offices, but is not an aspirant in that direction. He and his wife are worthy members of the Methodist Episcopal church, and always lend a helping hand in any work that will advance the cause of Christianity.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 770-771.

HENRY CONKLIN,ofthe firm of Conklin & Son, Exira, was born in the State of Indiana, near Connersville, Fayette County, June 10, 1836. His grandfather, Henry Conklin, emigrated from Germany to Pennsylvania at the early day when kneebreeches were in vogue.For many years after coming to this country he kept a tavern. Josiah Conklin, father of the subject of this notice, was born in New Jersey, April 6, 1804.He was married to Sarah Putnam, a distant relative of General Putnam, who was born in the South, and whose father was a planter.After their marriage they settled in Fayette County, and thence removed to Hamilton County, Indiana, in which place they resided eleven years. In the fall of 1850 they removed to Keokuk County, Iowa, settling on a farm, and there leading a very active life. Mr. Conklin died May 4, 1880, and his wife died in 1854; she was the mother of eleven children, nine of whom lived to maturity. Henry Conklin, Jr., passed his boyhood in Indiana, and there attended the common schools. At the age of fourteen years his parents took him to Iowa, and the following four years he attended the short winter terms of school. His father being a farmer by occupation, he also received some training in agricultural pursuits, and he also had some experience in clerking in a store. In his nineteenth year he was married to Miss Catherine Waltz, of Keokuk County, Iowa, a native of Wayne County, Indiana, and a daughter of Isaac and Rebecca Waltz, of German descent. After his marriage Mr. Conklin settled on a farm in Keokuk County, and resided there until the fall of 1877, when he removed with his family to Audubon County,Iowa. He and his wife are the parents of seven children, five of whom still survive Mary E., wife of John C. Persing; George W., Sarah R., wife of W. H. Briggman; Henrietta (deceased). Eliza J. (deceased), Lucy C. and Mark Pomeroy.In 1880 Mr. Conklin bought a store in Exira, and started in the grocery business, in which he continued until May 10, 1887, when his building and entire stock were consumed by fire. He had a small insurance of $1,000, which he collected, and immediately engaged lumber to erect a new business house. During the erection of the new house Mr. Conklin rented a small building, and put in a stock, and resumedbusiness. Mr. Conklinserved as school director and as constable, and four years as deputy sheriff, while a resident of Keokuk County. After removing to Exira he served on the town council, and in a race for the office of mayor he was beaten by one vote.In National and State politics he votes the Democratic ticket. Mr. and Mrs. Conklin are members of the Christian church. Mrs.Waltz's father, Isaac Waltz, died in Keokuk County, Iowa, at the age of sixtythree years; her mother is still living, at the age of seventyfour years.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 782-783.

JOSEPH CONRAD, an intelligent and successful farmer of Hamlin Township, was born in Germany, April, 1853. He is the youngest of three brothers. His parents, Joseph and Mary A. Conrad, remained in the old country.Joseph, Jr., entered school at the age of six years, and pursued his studies for eight years. On leaving school be engaged in farm work, which he continued for two years. At the age of sixteen he sailed for America, and landed at New York City; from the latter place he wentimmediately to Scott County, Iowa, where he secured employment on a farm, and continued there sixteen mouths.He then came to Atlantic, Iowa, and entered the employ of the Rock Island & Pacific Railway Company, working in different departments and divisions until the last few years, when he was employed in the engine house. He remained with this company for fourteen years.By the practice of economy he was able to save from his wages enough money to buy eighty acres of land in Hamlin Township; he has added to that purchase until he now owns 200 acres. In 1884 he removed to his farm and began to improve it. Mr. Conrad has been very prosperous in all his agricultural enterprises. His notable success has been in raising small grains and breeding high grades of livestock. He has erected a comfortable residence, a substantial barn, and numerous buildings for the protection of stock. In1879 Mr. Conrad was marriedto Albertina Baller, of Atlantic, Iowa, who was a native of Germany, coming to this country when quite young. The result of this union has been three children Mary A., August and Frank.On his arrival in this country Mr. Conrad's means were almost exhausted; he was in a strange land, without friends or acquaintances, unfamiliar withthe English language. Under these inauspicious circumstanceshe began his career.His success is evidence of his indomitable courage and perseverance, and he richly deserves his prosperity.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 777.

JOHN F. CONSIGNY, one of Audubon's successful grocerymen, came to the town in its infancy and established himself in business, in which he has been actively engaged ever since. He is a native of Canada, and was born April 2, 1848, in St. Cesaire, Province of Quebec, remaining there until nearly grown; here he received a good commonschool education, and later was sent to the Brothers' College. His father was Dr. A. P. Consigny, a highly esteemed citizen and a successful physician, who for many years conducted a large and lucrative practice. Previous to the division of Canada into counties, Dr. Consigny was, until his death, inspector of schools and colleges in Lower Canada. His death occurred in April, 1857. His wife, who was Miss Lucy L. Goodrich, a daughter of Captain Ezekiel Goodrich, still survives him, and resides in Avoca, Iowa; her father was a Captain in the Revolutionary war. John F. Consigny, on reaching his sixteenth year, went to the State of Vermont, and accepted a clerkship in a store containing a general stock of merchandise; he served in this capacity until 1863, when he enlisted in the First Vermont Cavalry, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. While his company (M) was doing duty as mounted provost and body guard at Second Corps headquarters near Hatcher's Run, Virginia, in October, 1864, he was wounded in the foot, and also received a wound on the side of the head on April 2, 1865, from the effects of which he has lost the hearing of one ear. He served his country faithfully for two years, and was discharged at Burlington, Vermont, in June, 1865. He then resumed the occupation of clerkship and bookkeeper. In February, 1866, he came to Dubuque, Iowa, and afterward made an extended tour of several States, going as far south as Texas; he drifted back to Avoca, Iowa, and remained there for a period of two years, and thence came to Audubon and embarked in the grocery business, as before stated. From his long experience, and honest and fair dealing he is widely and favorably known to the trading public. Besides his grocery stock Mr. Consigny carries a full line of queen'sware and glassware, etc. Mr. Consigny was united in marriage in February, 1879, to Miss Alice Heflin, of Avoca, Iowa; she is a daughter of Marshall and Nancy (Rusk) Heflin, who are now residents of Avoca; she was born in Knox County, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Consigny have had born to them four childrenClarence P., Mabel A., J. Edward and James G. Mr. Consigny is a member of the city council, having served over three years. He is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M.; of the I. 0. R. M.; of the Knights of Pythias, No. 163; Uniform Rank of the Aretas Lodge, No. 396; Encampment of I. 0. 0. F ., and of Allison Post, No. 34, G. A. R., having been five times delegate to the State Encampment and delegate to the National Encampment at Portland, Maine, and San Francisco, California. Mr. Consigny is of French extraction on his father's side, and of English and Welsh on the mother's side.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 697-698.

GEORGE E. COTTON, proprietor of the Oakfield Flouring Mills, at Oakfield, Iowa, was born in Genesee County, New York, near the town of Attica, September 6, 1834. His father, Owen Cotton, was a native of the State of Vermont, and was an early settler of western New York. He was a millwright by trade, and at different times owned several mills.Laura Adams Cotton, the mother of George W., was a daughter of Major Permine Adams, who was prominent in politics and represented his district twelve years in Congress.She was born in Genesee County, New York, and was there reared and married. After her marriage her husband settled there, and both remained there the balance of their days. They were the parents of seven children, six of whom survive. George E. Cotton was the second child, and his boyhood days were passed in his native county, where he received the advantages afforded by the district school. He remained at home until he attained his twentyfirst year. In 1853 he went to Wisconsin, and staid there one season in a mill which his father owned; he then returned to New York, and in the fall of 1855 he went to Omaha, Nebraska, remaining there about twelve months. Crossing the Missouri River to the Iowa side he stopped at a place called Macedonia, and there entered the employ of J. B. Stutsman, who owned a flouring mill at that place.He continued to fill this position for four years, and in the fall of 1859 he went to Lewis, Cass County, Iowa, where he superintended a mill for five years. In 1865 he removed to Oakfield, Iowa, and purchased a half interest in the grocery store of D. M. Clover, which partnership terminated at the end of one year, both parties selling out. He then went to Oskaloosa, where he was employed in a distillery for three years. He next went to Monona County, Iowa, and worked two years in a mill; thence he went to Adel, Dallas County, spending twelve months there. The two years following were passed in a mill at Panora, Guthrie County. In the fall of 1878 he came to Oakfield and purchased the Oakfield Mills of Isaac P. Hallock, since which time he has done a general milling business. He has put in a sorghum attachment, with a capacity of 500 gallons per day. Mr. Cotton was married in 1862 to Miss Mary Hinns, of Cass County, Iowa; she was born in Wakefield, England, and was brought by her parents to the United States when she was eight years old. Mr. and Mrs. Cotton have had born to them eight children John O., William E., Lizzie S. (wife of O. F. Ide), George W., Charles E., Alexander L., J. Ernest and Mary.Mr. Cotton was appointed postmaster of Macedonia under James Buchanan's administration, and served four years. He has filled the offices of township trustee and of justice of the peace at Oakfield.He is a member of Lewis Lodge, No. 113, A. F. & A. M.Politically he is a staunch Democrat, especially in State and National affairs. In local politics he votes for the man best fitted in his estimation to fill the position.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 767-768.

REV. EDWARD B. COUSINS is a member of the firm of Cousins & McClure, editors and proprietors of the Audubon County Republican, Audubon, Iowa. The Republican was started in December, 1885, by Mr. Cousins and Sidney A. Foster. The paper was continued under the management of this firm for fifteen months. In April, 1887, W. H. McClure purchased the interest of Mr. Foster, and the paper has since been conducted by this firm.The Republican, as its name implies, is Republican in politics. It is an eightcolumn folio, issued Thursday of each week, and has a good circulation. It has done the county printing for three years, and it also does the city printing. The office is well organized and well equipped for this work, and the paper comes from the press a neat and clean sheet.Mr. Cousins was born in Cedar County, Iowa, May 2, 1841. He is the youngest of ten children of Robert and Ann (Beattie) Cousins. Both the father and mother were born in Ireland, and emigrating to America they finally settledin Cedar County, Iowa, where they both died about six months apart. Edward B. was then six years of age. His youth was spent on a farm and he had the advantages of the common schools until he was nineteen years old. He then went to Cornell College, Mount Vernon, where he pursued his studies for two years. In July, 1862, he enlisted in Company B, Twentyfourth Iowa Infantry, as a private, serving three years. On the organization of his regiment he was sent south, and took part in the siege of Vicksburg, also in the Red River campaign. He then went, via New Orleans, around to the Shenandoah Valley, under General Phil Sheridan, and took part in the battles of Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, and other smaller engagements. He was then ordered to Savannah, Georgia, then to Augusta to guard the arsenal at that place. Afterward his regiment was ordered back to Savannah, Georgia, where Mr. Cousins was mustered out of the service in July, 1865. He returned to Davenport, where he received his pay and final discharge. He then resumed farming for a time, and then entered the State University at Iowa City, graduating in the academic department in the class of 1872. Going back to the farm, he remained but a short time, and then went to Chicago and entered the Presbyterian Theological Seminary, graduating in 1875. In the spring of 1874, previous to his gradu.. ation, Mr. Cousins was licensed to preach at Wilton, by the Iowa City Presbytery.He was ordained by the Cedar Rapids Presbytery at Cedar Rapids, Iowa, having preached at several places. In the fall and winter of 1878 and 1879 he was employed as historian by a history firm, having their headquarters at Adel, Iowa.In the spring of 1879 he came to Audubon as pastor of the Presbyterian church at that place, where he remained for four years. He then carried on farming for two years.Following this he was employed as bookkeeper for Charles Stuart & Son for two years.He then became connected with his present newspaper work. In 1876 Mr. Cousins married Miss Lou M. Post, of Clarence, Iowa, a daughter of E. E. Post. Mr. and Mrs. Cousins are the parents of one son Charles Edward, who died at the age of six years. Mr. Cousins is a member of Veritas Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, and Godfrey Commandery, being one of the charter members of the last. He is also a member of Allison Post, No. 34, G. A. R.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 703-704.

WILLIAM A. CRANE, senior member of the firm of Allen & Crane, editors andproprietorsof the Audubon County Advocate, has been connected with the paper since November, 1887, leasing an interest from R. M. Carpenter, the present postmaster of Audubon. Mr. Crane managed the paper untilMarch 1, 1888, when he formed a partnership with his uncle, the new firm being known as Crane & Crane, the Messrs. Crane having purchased the entire interest of the paper.They conducted the business successfullyuntil October, 1888, when Mr. Allen bought a half interest in the concern, and the firm was changed to Allen & Crane.William A. Crane was born in Audubon County, Iowa, near Exira, December, 1860. He is the eldest son of John and Mary I. (Harris) Crane. The mother is a daughter of D. M. Harris, the founder of the Audubon County Defender, a paper published at Exira for several years. John Crane was a native of the State of Ohio, being born in Highland County.He was a farmer in early life, but after his removal to Audubon County he was appointed deputy sheriff. He was the first Democratic candidate for office of sheriff in the county, and was beaten in the general election by one vote out of eightyone votes cast in the county. The mother of our subject is still living. William A. Crane was reared in Exira and educated in the schools of that place. At the age of eighteen he went west to Fort Collins, Colorado, and entered the office of the Fort Collins Courier to learn the printer's trade, first serving in the capacity of printer's devil.He remained in the office for some time, and was sent out as a correspondent, to western Colorado and the Territory of Wyoming; the country then being new and wild, he did not like it, so returned to Exira.In 1881 he bought an interest in the Audubon County Defender, which was conducted under the firm name of Crane & Milliman. This partnership was of short duration, however,Mr. Crane going south to Atlanta, Georgia, where he was employed in the State printing office. On leaving Atlanta, Mr. Crane went to Chillicothe, Ohio, where he secured a position on the Sciota Gazette, as job compositor, for one year. He then returned to Iowa and took the foremanship of the Advocate at Audubon, holding this position for twenty months.He was then employed in the office of the Republican, then under the management of Cousins & McClure.He remained there about one year. He then took a trip through the States of Missouri andKansas. He returned to Audubon and formed the business relation before mentioned. Mr. Crane was united in marriage July 31, 1884, to Miss Jennie M. Burton, a daughter of Henry Burton, of Exira Township, Audubon County. Mrs. Crane was born in Guthrie County, Iowa. One child has been born to Mr. and Mrs. Crane Frankie Belle. Mr. Crane is a member of the K. of P., and of the Improved Order of Red Men.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 724-725.

ROSS J. CREVELING, contractor and builder, Audubon, Iowa, was born in Columbia County, Pennsylvania, November 13, 1842. He is a son of Andrew S. and Theresa (Allegar) Creveling, both of whom were born and reared in Pennsylvania. The father was a farmer by occupation and lived in Columbia County until his death, which occurred in 1884. The mother has also passed into the other life. Ross J. spent his youth in his native county, being reared on a farm and receiving a commonschool education. During the late civil war, in August, 1862, he enlisted in the One Hundred and Fortyninth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the engagements of Chancelorsville, Gettysburg, and the Wilderness;in the lastnamed battle he was wounded in the foot, and was so disabled that he was discharged in 1864, having served faithfully for two years. He then returned to his old home in Pennsylvania and went to work at the carpenter's trade. Mr. Creveling was married in September,1866, to Miss Rebecca E. Brown, a native of Columbia County, Pennsylvania, and a daughter of Matthew Brown, Esq.Four children were born to this marriage Verge M., teacher; Theron B., grocery clerk; Ira M. and Lulu Grace. In 1872 Mr. Creveling went west with his family and settled in Clayton County, Iowa, remaining there one year.He then removed to Noble County, Minnesota, and took up a homestead there. He was eaten out by the grasshoppers for two seasons, so he returned to Iowa and settled in Waterloo, Black Hawk County, where he worked at his trade four years. In June, 1879, he removed to Audubon, which he has since made his home. He has engaged in contracting and building, and has done a profitable business. The family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal church, Mr. Creveling being a trustee of the same.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 740-741.

BERNARD CUNNINGHAM, an active farmer of Leroy Township, Audubon County, was born in Ireland in the County of Donegal. When he was eighteen years of age he emigrated to America, landing in New York City. He worked at various trades in New York and New Jersey until 1861.In April of that year lie drifted westward to Sangamon County, Illinois, where he engaged in farming until 1869, when he removed to Jasper County, Iowa. Here he settled on a farm of 160 acres in Synngrove Township.He paid $8 per acre, and during his residence made so many valuable improvements that he sold the place for $27 per acre. In October, 1882, Mr. Cunningham came to Audubon County and purchased 200 acres of improved land in Lincoln Township. In 1882 he bought his present home place in Leroy Township, containing 165 acres of wellimproved land. He has erected a good residence on this place. He has followed general farming, making a specialty of high grades of stock. Mr. Cunningham has been particularly successful as a corn grower. He owns some town lots in Manilla.Mr. Cunningham was united in marriage in 1868, to Miss Anna English, of Newark, New Jersey. She is a native of Ireland and came to this country when she was eleven years old. She is a daughter of Michael and Mary (Brady) English, who died in New Jersey. Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham have five children James, Mary A., John B., Frank L. and William. Our subject had but $5 when he came to this country; but he had, what is sometimes better than money, pluck and energy. He votes the Democratic ticket, having become naturalized in 1861. His parents, Timothy and Hannah (McLaughlan) Cunningham, died in Ireland.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 731-732.

JOSEPH CURTIS was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England, November 26, 1811, and is the son of Charles and Bettie (Brown) Curtis. He is the oldest of a family of five children, and grew to maturity in his native country, his twentyfirst birthday being passed on the ocean during the voyage to America.On arriving in this country he settled in Oneida County, New York. He had learned the tailor's trade, which he followed until his fiftysecond year, when he secured a position in a foundry in Hampton village. For seven years he continued this work, and then came to Iowa, locating in Johnson County. In 1882 he came to Audubon County and settled on a farm of eighty acres of improved land in section 29, which he still makes his home.He was married about the year 1845, in the month of February, to Mary Dickson, daughter of John and Dallie Dickson, who was born in England in May, 1819. Seven children were born of this marriage Palmer, Mark, Julia, William, Ellen, Hannah and John. Joseph Curtis is a strong adherent to the principles of the Democratic party. Palmer Curtis, a son of Joseph and Mary (Dickson) Curtis, was born in Oneida County, New York, November 13, 1848.At the age of eleven years he went to work in a foundry in Westmoreland, New York, and remained in this employment for six years.He then came west and settled near Iowa City. He was employed for a year and a half by a Mr. Seymore on his farm. During the next five years he worked for a Mr. Abraham on a cheese farm, and then returned to his former employer, Mr. Seymore, for one year. At the end of the year he went to his father's home, fifteen miles west of Iowa City, and assisted him until the spring of 1878, when he came to Audubon County, and settled on a farm of 160 acres of wild land in section 34, Greeley Township.Mr. Curtis has placed this under good cultivation, and has erected a residence and barns for stock and grain.He has done much toward the development of this part of the county, and thereby has won the regard and esteem of a wide circle of friends.After spending nine years in improving and cultivating his farm, Mr. Curtis concluded to embark in the butcher's trade, and so removed to Exira and followed that business for two years, after which he returned to his farm.Politically he advocates the principles of theUnion Labor party. October 18, 1881, he was married to Lauretta Patterson, daughter of Eli and Rebecca J. (Basem) Patterson, who was born November 8, 1851. They are the parents of two children Jesse and Glen. Mrs. Curtis is a member of the Baptist church.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 779-780.

WILLIAM CURTIS, an active farmer of Exira Township, was born in Oneida County, New York, July 14, 1856. He is the third son of Joseph and Mary (Dipor) Curtis, natives of England, who emigrated to the United States when quite young. They were married in Oneida County, New York, in the year 1866. Joseph Curtis and family removed to Johnson County, Iowa, and lived there until 1876, when they moved to Audubon County, settling in Greeley Township, which is still their home. He was a tailor by trade, and for many years worked at the business in Hampton, New York. The boyhood of William Curtis was passed in his native county in attending school. At the age of ten years he removed with his parents to Johnson County, Iowa, and there continued his studies. He remained with his parents until he was twentyfour years of age, and then he was married to Miss Georgianna Watson, second daughter of Thomas and Mary A. (Howe) Watson. She was born in Princeton, Bureau County, Illinois, June 20, 1861, and at the age of two years was taken by her parents to Johnson County, Iowa.There she resided until she was eighteen years old, attending school; she also paid some attention to music, and was an accomplished horsewoman, taking much pride in riding and the training of horses. Mrs. Curtis's parents are ScotchIrish descent; they removed from New York to Illinois, and thence to Iowa, and are still living on the place that has been their home for twentysix years. They began life with very little of this world's goods, but by industry and good management have acquired a comfortable living. They are the parents of six children, all of whom are living. After his marriage Mr. Curtis spent one year in Johnson County, and in the spring of 1882 he came to Audubon County and settled on his present farm; this place contains 240 acres, all fenced and under cultivation. Mr. Curtis has added to the improvements already made a comfortable residence and a good barn.He has been successful in raising and handling livestock, especially sheep and cattle.Mr. and Mrs. Curtis have had born to them five children Charity E., Ellsworth, T. J. Seymour, Chester Arthur and C. Florence Nevada. In politics Mr. Curtis votes with the Republican party. He commenced life without any capital, and now has a good farm well stocked, to show as a result of industry, thrift and wise management.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 762-763.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top