IAGenWeb Project

Audubon County
IAGenWeb

Home

1889 Bios Index

1889 BIOGRAPHICAL HISTORY OF
SHELBY AND AUDUBON COUNTIES, IOWA

W. S. DUNBAR & CO., PUBLISHERS
113 ADAMS STREET, CHICAGO


B


CHARLES BAGLEY, attorney at law, and dealer in real estate andloans, Audubon, Iowa, was born near West Liberty, Iowa, May 29, 1854. He is the fourth of ten children, all of whom are living and residents of the State of Iowa. His father, William A. Bagley, was a native of Ohio, and was a farmer by occupation, and is now a resident of Cass County, Iowa, living on the farm to which he came in 1873. His mother, Lucretia Burgan Bagley, was also a native of Ohio.After their marriage his parents settled on a farm in Muscatine County, Iowa; thence they removed to Cass County.Charles Bagley was a mere lad when his parents went to Muscatine County, where he grew to manhood.His primary education was received in the district school; he afterward attended a select school, and then entered the State University at Iowa City, where he pursued his studies for two years. He then entered the law department of the same school, from which he was graduated in 1881.In 1882 he came to Audubon, and opened a law office, devoting his time to his profession in connection with real estate, loans, collections and insurance. Mr. Bagley was united in marriage in October, 1888, to Miss Amanda Williams, of Audubon, Iowa, a daughter of Sarah Williams.Her father died when she was a little girl; she was born in the State of Indiana. Charles Bagley was elected mayor of Audubon, Iowa, in March, 1886, and reelected in 1887, and has served two terms.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 728-729.



LUKE BAKER, a farmer of Greeley Township, has been a resident of the State of Iowa since he was twelve years of age. He is a native of Stephenson County, Illinois, and was born January 23, 1859. His parents are Richard and Fannie (Shoesmith) Baker, natives of England, who emigrated to America, and now reside in Guthrie County, Iowa.Mr. Baker was married February 25, 1885, to Miss Laura A. Giles, a daughter of Salemand Sophlana Giles. Mrs. Baker was born in Henry County, Illinois, April 27, 1858. One child has been born of this marriage Ada R.In 1884 Mr. Baker came to Audubon County and settled on his farm. In 1882 he had purchased 120 acres of wild land in Greeley Township, upon which he has made many valuable improvements. He has a good twostory frame residence, and all his surroundings are indicative of prosperity. Although a young man Mr. Baker has a good foothold in the county, and we anticipate for him a successful future. In politics he supports the issues of the Republican party.He is the present trustee of the township, and has served as road supervisor. He devotes himself to farming and stockraising, and is numbered with the foremost farmers of Greeley Township.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 716.



ROBERT BAKER, farmer and stockraiser of Viola Township, is a native of England, born in Carlton Scrook, August 3, 1817. He is the eldest son of Charles and Mary Baker. His father was a tamer and breaker of horses, Robert Baker was reared to the life of a farmer, but his education was entirely neglected, as he was never sent to school. He worked by the year until his marriage, which occurred May 20, 1844, to Eliza Ower, the youngest of eleven children of Thomas and Mary (Clay) Ower. In 1851 Mr. Baker and his family emigrated from England to America, landing in the city of New York. From that city they went to Davenport, Iowa, making part of the journey by the lakes, and the rest by teams. They located and bought property in Davenport, and Mr. Baker cultivated a farm in Scott County. In 1870 the Baker family came to Audubon County, Iowa, and settled on section 16, Melville Township, and the following year he removed to his present farm, which contains 280 acres of fine land, well improved. He is extensively engaged in feeding stock, making large shipments annually. Mr. and Mrs. Baker are the parents of seven children Mary J., wife of Charles Hoffman; William, at home; Anna, wife of C. L. Hotchkiss; John T., married Minerva Hooton; Sarah J., wife of John Oliver; James K., married Ella Hooton; Nellie, wife of E. J. Smith. They have twentytwo grandchildren. When Mr. Baker moved from Rock Island to Davenport he had but 75 cents in money, a wife and three children; but his energy, industry and good management have brought their reward. He has accumulated a handsome competency for himself and wife in their declining years. They are both hale and hearty and active in mind and body, the hardships they endured in the infancy of the county seeming to give strength and vigor to both.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 795.



HORACE M. BARTLETT, operator and station agent for the Chicago,Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, at Brayton, Iowa, is the youngest son of W. and Martha E. (Cuppy) Bartlett, who were early settlers of Audubon County, Iowa. He was born at the old homestead, on the hill overlooking the villages of Brayton and Oakfield, November 9, 1865. His boyhood was passed on his father's farm, and his first lessons were learned in the district school. He was taught the details of farm work, but did not continue the occupation. After spending three months in the Exira High School Mr. Bartlett began the study of telegraphy, February 14, 1882, under the direction of J. M. Reynolds, then agent for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad at Brayton. He continued his studies for six weeks; at the expiration of that time he was promoted to acting agent by Superintendent Royce, which position beheld for two years, Mr. Reynolds desiring to retire. Mr. Bartlett was the youngest agent ever appointed on the Rock Island Railroad, he being but sixteen years old. Mr. Bartlett proving himself an efficient man, he has filled this position acceptably ever since, with the exception of a short time spent in the west. He took a trip to the mountains, through Colorado, and on his return assisted in different stations as extra agent, in which such help was required. After taking a secondtrip through the west he returned to Brayton, and in 1886 he was made permanent agent, a position which he still fills with much credit to himself and the entire satisfaction of the railroad company. March 31, 1887, Mr. Bartlett was united in marriage to Jeanette Jenkins, daughter of John T. and Darthula Jenkins. They have had born to them one daughter Mildred. Mr. Bartlett owns some farm land,which is well stocked with cattle and hogs. June 4, 1889, he received the appointment aspostmaster at Brayton.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 736-737.



WASHINGTON BARTLETT,a prominent citizen of the south part of Audubon County, died at 4 A. M., May 21, 18, at his homestead, near Brayton, Iowa. His death occurred after a brief illness of only four days, in the beautiful home which his own hands had reared, attended by his faithful wife, and surrounded by his children and grandchildren, a fitting end for a useful and honorable citizen and man. The funeral services were held at the residence on the 22d and were of amost solemn and impressive nature. Seats had been provided on thebeautiful lawn adjoining the parlor where the dead pioneer lay encased in a rich casket, surrounded by a bank of fragrantflowers, the tribute of friends from far and near.Wreaths, crosses, and anchors, emblems of immortality, faith and hope, spoke thethoughts of tender hearts and loving friends of the deceased. A large number of leading families of this valley were present.There were few dry eyes among them when, after the Rev. E. S. Hill had spoken feelingly of his acquaintance of twenty odd years with the deceased, he asked the choir to sing that dear old hymn, "Nearer, My God to Thee," and explained that grandpa had often asked his little fiveyear old grandchild, Beatrice Reynolds, to sing it for him when weary with toil or care.After the sermon the people took a last look at their dead friend, and six prominent citizens and pioneers, Oliver Smith, Mark Heath, Edson Herrick, Christopher Smith, J. C. Cannon, Sr., and C. H. Vail bore the deceased to the funeral cortege, and thence, followed by a long line of carriages, to the Oakfleld Cemetery, where they laid him to rest with tender and reverent hands.

Green be the turf above thee, friend of our better days, None knew thee but to love thee, nor named thee but to praise.

Washington Bartlett came of illustrious blood. The Bartletts trace their lineage back to Thomas Bartlett, of Mayflower fame, and his own mother, Sabrina (Hill) Bartlett, was a niece of Thomas Jefferson, the celebrated statesman, of Virginia, in which State the subject of this sketch was born September 19, 1820. At the early age of eleven years Thomas Bartlett emigrated to Warren County, Indiana; there the boy grew to manhood through all the privations and hardships of pioneer days.There, too, he married Miss Margaret Brier.One child, David Milton Bartlett, a welltodo citizen of that county and State, is still living. About the year 1852 Wash, as he was familiarly called, went to the gold fields of California, via New Orleans and the Isthmus, returning eighteen months later. He came to the then new State of Iowa in 1855, and in 1856 located on the estate where he lived so many years, respected and liked by those who knew him best. Here he married Martha E. Cuppy. Three children are the fruit of this union E. G. Bartlett, Esq., Lillie BartlettReynolds, wife of J. M. Reynolds, the Brayton merchant, and H. M. Bartlett, agent of the C., R. I. & P. R. R., at Brayton. All are married, and living near the old home. Of the character of the dead it need only be said that he held offices of trust and honor among his fellowmen all his life. As justice of the peace, secretary of the school board, and as a member of the board of supervisors, he discharged his duty faithfully and well.Withmalice toward none and charity for all he lived a useful and honorable life. The world will be poorer for his going, yet richer in memories of kindly deeds and honest worth. The elements were so mixed in him that nature might stand up and say this is a man.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 805-806.



JOEL H. BASHAM, an active farmer and stockraiser of Exira Township, was born in the State of Kentucky, Breckenridge County, March 24, 1838. He is a son of Frank and Theresa (Hardin) Basham; the father was born in Virginia, and was the son of Obediah Basham, who removed from Virginia to Kentucky when Frank Basham was a child.Joel H. was the sixth in a family of ten children; he spent his youth in his native county, attending school and assisting his father; at the age of twenty years he went to Gentry County, Missouri; from this point he went to the mines of Central City, and remained there until 1863, when he came to Iowa, and settled on a farm. He spent two years freighting across the State from Grinnell to Council Bluffs.Mr. Basham was married in 1866 to Miss Sarah M. Hallock, of Audubon County, a daughter of Isaac P. and Abigail Hallock. After his marriage Mr. Basham resided in Oakfield for a time, and then removed to a farm west of the village, which he rented for three years. He then bought a farm in Cass County, Iowa, on which he lived for one year, and then sold, returning to Oakfield.He afterward purchased a farm in Greeley Township, and made his residence there until he sold the place, when he bought his present farm in the spring of 1881. Mr. Basham owns twenty acres of timberbesides the land which he has under cultivation; the farm was unimproved in the way of buildings, so all the work in this direction has been done by the present owner of the place. Mr. and Mrs. Basham are the parents of four children Frank H., Lester W., Gertrude H. and Robert Burns; two children died in infancy. Mr. Basham has served as road supervisor for the past four years;in National and State elections he votes the Democratic ticket, but in local politics he votes for the best fitted in his estimation to fill the office.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 757.



VALENTINE BAUER, of Viola Township, was born on a farm in Germany, February 14, 1840, and is a son of Michael and Mary (Matias) Bauer, who died in their native country. Valentine started to school at the age of six years, and continued to attend until he was fourteen years old. He then went to work on his father's farm, and remained there until he was twentytwo years old. Wishing to see the new world and try what fortune it might yield to him, he sailed from the harbor at Bremen for the United States, the voyage lasting eight weeks. He arrived in the city of New York and remained there two months, visiting two sisters who were living in that city. On leaving New York he went to Madison County, Illinois, and went to work on a farm for 60 cents per day; at the end of two years he came to Lyons, Clinton County, Iowa, and worked on a farm by the month until 1871,when he rented a farm and worked it six years on his own account. In the spring of 1879 he removed to Audubon County, having bought eighty acres of land there the previous fall at the rate of $9 per acre. He built a house and set out a grove, and a year later he purchased an additional eighty acres; he sowed most of it in wheat, upon which he realized very handsomely. He has since bought eighty acres more, making 240 acres, most of which is under cultivation and well fenced.He devotes some attention to livestock, breeding common stock. Mr. Bauer was married in October, 1873, to Elizabeth, the oldest daughter of Levi and Anna (Whitney) Shadduck, natives of Pennsylvania and New York respectively. She was born and reared in Clinton County, Iowa, her parents having come to the Territory of Iowa in 1839. Mr. and Mrs. Bauer are the parents of two children Frank and Mary.By a former marriage to John Hill, Mrs. Bauer had five children Addie, Arthur, George, Gertrude and Grant. Mr. Bauer has served as township trustee and as assessor, also as a school director.He is a memberof Charity Lodge, No. 197, A. F. & A. M., at Coon Rapids. Mr. and Mrs. Bauer are members of the church at Viola Centre; Mrs. Bauer teaches in the Sabbathschool, and Mr. Bauer is treasurer of the same.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 771-772.



SILAS BEASON, one of Melville Township's prominent farmers and stockraisers, was a native of the State of Ohio, having been born in Greene County, near Xenia, January 28, 1836. He was the son of John and Elizabeth Beason, the father being one of Greene County's most prosperous farmers, of English ancestry.The early boyhood of Silas Beason was passed on the farm near Xenia, Ohio, and his first lessons were learned in the district schools.When a mere lad Mr. Beason moved with his parents to a farm near Atlanta, Logan County, Illinois, where he continued to assist on the farm until about nineteen years of age.He then attended Wesleyan University, at Delaware, Ohio, a few months, and returning to Illinois he began the study of law at Lincoln, Illinois, under Judge Lacy. In the meantime Mr. Beason wasmarried October 9, 1856, to Miss Olive Ash, daughter of James and Ruth Ash, of Scotchancestry.Mrs. Beason was born in Indiana, and was brought with her parents to Illinois when a child. Mr. Beason moved to Lincoln, Logan County, Illinois, in 1860, and continued the study of law under difficulties.He was admitted to the bar at. Springfield, Illinois, before the Supreme Court of the State, in March, 1859. He was elected mayor of Lincoln, and served five consecutive terms; after an interval of two years he was again elected mayor, and served two terms. He was elected a member of the Legislature in 1868, serving one term, and taking part in the introduction and passage of several important bills. Having retired from his legislative honors, Mr. Beason resumed the work of his profession, in which he had built up a large and lucrative practice. He held many offices but was not an office seeker, his disposition being retiring and modest. He took a lively interest in politics, affiliating with the Democratic party. He was a candidate for circuit judge in 1877 on the Democratic ticket; the circuit was composed of eight counties, and notwithstanding it wasstrongly Republicanhewas defeated by a small majority. Mr. Beason was a member of the I. O. O. F., and of the Knights of Honor, of Lincoln, Illinois. The pressure of business drew too heavily upon his physical strength and he was at last compelled to go in search of health.Having previously purchased many valuable acres of land in Audubon County, Iowa, in 1882 he retired from the practice of law, and removed with his family to the farm in Iowa, hoping to receive benefit in health by the change. He engaged in general farming and the breeding of fine livestock, including shorthorn cattle, horses, and hogs. Under his management these industries were a success, and his health was greatly improved. The farm is traversed by the east fork of the Nishnabotna River, and the land is of superior quality, well adapted to the growth of grain andthe raising of livestock. Mr. Beason plantedmany trees on his place, which serve as a protection from the heat and winds, and also add greatly to the beauty of the place.He displayed much judgment in the management of his farm, as well as great ability when acting as legal counsellor. He was cut off in the prime of life, in the midst of his daily pursuits, by accidentally falling from a loaded wagon which passed over his body and inflicted injuries from which he died in a few hours, November 9, 1884. He was a devoted husband, a kind father, always generous toward public enterprises, and his untimely death was deplored by all who knew him. He left a large estate to his wife and children. Mr. and Mrs. Beason arethe parents of the following named children Omar, a graduate of Lincoln University, died December 12, 1881, much lamented, at the age of twentyfour years; Ida, a graduate of Monticello Seminary, is the wife of William S. Blair, of Aurora, Illinois; Ella, a graduate of Monticello Seminary, Godfrey, Illinois, is at home; John, who accidentally shot himself in crossing a barbed wire fence September 26, 1886, was a promising youth of many excellent qualities of head and heart; Lewis assists his mother on the farm; Rose and Olive are at home. Mrs. Beason, with the assistance of her son, is managing the farm of 1,700 acres, which is well stocked. She has shown much ability and skill in the care of the farm, which is one of the best improved in Melville Township, being furnished with all the modern conveniences and having most attractive surroundings.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 802-803.



BRADLEY BEERS and his worthy wife were among the early pioneers of Audubon County. Mr. Beers came to the county in 1857, and in 1859 he purchased a tract of 320 acres of land in Hamlin Township.The land was wild, unbroken prairie, and there was no human habitation in sight. The country teemed with wild animals, such as the wolf, deer and elk. Mr. Bradley erected a house composed of black walnut lumber, and made other necessary improvements. He also planted a grove of walnut trees covering ten acres, which is now one of the prettiest groves in the county. He placed the farm under good cultivation and continued to reside there for eleven years, when he sold the place and removed to Exira. In six months he removed to his home on David's Creek, Greeley Township, where he had purchased 120 acres of land, and where Mrs. Beers now resides. In 1880 he erected a large frame residence, which is one of the finest homes in that part of the county. Mr. Beers was a staunch Democrat, always taking an active part in political affairs, and at one time held the office of justice of the peace.He was born in Walton, Delaware County, New York, and was there reared to the occupation of a farmer, which he followed through life. He died March 12, 1879, aged about fiftyeight years. He was married February 17, 1857, to Hannah G. Eells, daughter of Samuel and Clarina (Gray) Eells, who was born in Walton, Delaware County, New York, January 11, 1832. They were the parents of four children Frank, residing in Greeley Township; Samuel, at home; Clara A., wife of Edgar Young, and Charles, deceased.Samuel, the second child, wasbornMarch 24, 1860, and was marriedSeptember 11, 1880, toMiss Ora Herrick, daughter of Urbane and Charlotte (Spirling) Herrick. Mrs. Beers was born in Exira, October 28, 1862. They are the parents of one child Homer L., born October 4, 1884. Mr. Beers affiliates with the Democratic party.During his earlier life he followed cattleherding for eight years, but is now engaged in farming.He is an enterprising young man, and enjoys the esteem of a wide circle of friends.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 779.



LAWRENCE A. BEERS, physician and surgeon, Gray, Iowa, is a native of the State of Ohio, born in Fredericktown, Knox County, November 12, 1856. He is a son of Asher and Ella (Coleman) Beers. His grandparents were among the early settlers of Knox County, and often had to resort to the fort for protection. They still reside in Knox County, and have had born to them two children Clio, the wife of Jacob Clow, a resident of Marshall County, Iowa, and LawrenceA. Beers, M. D. Oursubject spent his youth in his native county, obtaining his early education in the common school. He took up the study of medicine with Dr. S. B. Potter, of Fredericktown, Ohio; he took a course of lectures at the Columbus Medical College under Professor Hamilton, and later a course in the city of Baltimore, Maryland. Dr. Beers then came west, and began the practice of his profession in Mitchellville, Iowa, remaining there four years.He was then obliged to abandon his practice for a time on account of failing health. In 1886 he located in Gray, Iowa, and there resumed his practice, in which he has been very successful. Dr. Beers was united in marriage in 1881 to Miss Eva J. Talmage, of Monroe, Jasper County, Iowa; she is the daughter of JonathanTalmage, Esq. Three children have been born of this union Edna, Charles and Clio. The Doctor is a member of the Knights of Pythias at Manning, Iowa.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 771.



JAMES T. BELL, one of Audubon County's pioneer teachers, has devoted twenty years to his chosen profession, and many a youth owes his success in life to the early impressions made by the zeal and energy which Mr. Bell manifested in his noble calling. This venerable teacher was born in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania, August 8, 1827, and is the oldest son and second child of William and Martha L. (Shannon) Bell, natives of Pennsylvania. He was reared in his native county and received a commonschool education. He began his career by teaching one term in his own county. He then drifted west, and in 1855 stopped in Garnavillo, Clayton County, Iowa. He continued to reside there until 1874, when he removed to Audubon County, and soon after began teaching.He closed his last term in March, of the present year, 1889. On May 4, 1861, he entered the Union army, joining the Third Iowa Volunteer Infantry.He was assigned to Hannibal, Missouri, and there guarded the Hanibal & St. Joseph Railroad during the first summer. The following fall he was sent to St. Louis, Missouri, and was ordered from that point to St. Charles, where he guarded the North Missouri Railway at different points for one winter. His regiment was then sent to make up the expedition of the Tennessee River, General Grant commanding. He took part in the engagement at Blue Mills, Shiloh, the siege of Corinth, and was ordered to Moscow, Tennessee; and wasthenordered to Moscow, Missouri, guarding there the Memphis & St. Charles Railroad.In the following spring he went to Memphis, and from that place passed to Vicksburg, and was in the siege from May 18 to July 4.Thence the regiment was ordered to Natchez, after which he was sent to Keokuk, Iowa, where he was honorably discharged in June, 1864.Returning to Clayton County he remained there until 1874, when he went to Audubon County, as before stated. Soon after coming to the county Mr. Bell bought eighty acres of land to which he has added until he now owns 240 acres, all fenced and under good cultivation. Mr. Bell was married in March, 1888, to Mrs. Irving, a native of the State of New York. She came to this county in 1883, having previous to this time lost her former husband, James F. Irving, by whom she had one son, Frank F. Irving. Mr. Bell has served as township clerk three terms, and as trustee one term.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 715-716.



PHILIP BICKELHAUPT, an active farmer of Viola Township, was born in Germany, near Berlin, June 15, 1844. He is the fifth of a family of six children, five of whom lived to be grown. His parents were Jacob and Martha (Kereman) Bickelhaupt, who were born in Germany, and lived and died in their native country. Philip attended school until he was fourteen years old, and at that early age he was desirous of trying his fortunes in the new west.He embarked on a sailing vessel for the United States, and made the voyage in fiftyfour days, the first part of the journey being attended with very severe storms.He landed in New Orleans, arid from that city went to St. Louis by water; from St. Louis he went to Chicago, Illinois, and remained there one week;his finances were by this time quite reduced, so that he pawned his clothesfor $5 in order to get money to go to Fulton, Illinois. There he secured work in a cigar factory, and afterward went to work on a farm where he staid two years.He then went to Morrison, Illinois, and worked on a farm until the breaking out of the late civil war. He enlisted in the Eighth Illinois Cavalry, Company C, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac, skirmishing and scouting the greater part of Virginia. He participated in the battle of Fredericksburg, and also of Gettysburg, after which he was taken prisoner, held three days, and then paroled. He was wounded in the left knee, and so was disabled for four months, after which he joined his regiment in Maryland, and was afterward sent to St.Louis, Missouri, thence to Chicago, where he was finally discharged.He then returned to Morrison, Illinois, and iii 1865 he was married to Mary Tyson, a daughter of John Tyson, Esq., of Morrison, Illinois.The two years following he was engaged in farming in Whiteside County, Illinois, and in the fall of 1868 he removedto Jasper County, Iowa, locating in the town of Monroe, where he opened a meat market; he remained there one year, and then moved hack to Whiteside County, Illinois, and remained there three years. In 1872, Mr. Bickelhaupt removed to Audubon County and purchased eighty acres of new land in section 6; this he broke out and improved, and two years later he bought eighty acres more, and he now has a half section of land in a high state of cultivation. He also has town property in Coon Rapids, Iowa.He is extensively engaged in the feeding, buying and shipping of livestock.All of his own produce is consumed on his farm, and he buys largely of his neighbors. Mr. and Mrs. Bickelhaupt have had nine children born to themMargaret, Elizabeth, Peter,Mamie, Alice, George, Albert, Odessa and Rena. Eight of the children are living. The confidence reposed in Mr. Bickelhaupt by the people of the community is shown by the fact that he has served as township trustee for thirteen years, and has been president of the school board for fourteen years.He was elected township treasurer in 1888, and is the present incumbent of the office. He is a member of Charity Lodge, No. 197, A. F. & A. M., at Coon Rapids, Iowa. He strongly adheres to the principles of the Democratic party. He is a member of the G. A. R. post at Dedham.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 776-777.



EMIL BILHARZ, an active business man of Audubon, has been identified with the town since the spring of 1879. He was born inBaden, Germany, October 20, 1845, and emigrated to America when he was nine years of age; his parents came to this country at the same time; they were on the water thirty days, and landed at the city of New York; from New York they went to Ottawa, Illinois, wherethey settled; here the father died two years later; he was a harnessmaker bytrade.The mother, Maria (Speas) Bilharz, died in Ottawa in her fortythird year; she was also a native of Baden, Germany. There were ten children in the family, six of whom survive.Emil was the fourth child. After coming to this country he spent his youth in Ottawa, Illinois. At the age of nineteen years he entered a store in Seneca, Illinois, as clerk; here he remained several years, and acquired a very thorough knowledge of the business.He then removed to Audubon, Iowa, where he established himself in business, first in a general store, and later he kept a restaurant for several years. In 1886 he opened a grocery store with a large and wellselected stock, and he is now firmly fixed in Audubon business circles. Mr. Bilharz wasmarried in 1871 to Miss Emma Moore, of La Salle County, Illinois, a native of Pennsylvania, who came to Illinois with her parents at an early day.At her death she left two children Edward F. and Hattie May.Mr. Bilharz marriedhis present wife in 1887; she was Miss Mary Dawson, of Audubon, a native of Canada. No children have been born by this marriage. Mr. Bilharz owns a farm in Leroy Township, one in Melville Township, and one in Cameron Township; he also owns three good business houses which he rents. He began his career without means, and by industry and wise management he has accumulated a goodproperty.He is a member of Seneca Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, No. 93, Audubon, and of Godfrey Commandery, No. 44, Audubon. Mr. Bilharz's son is a student at Grinnell College, Iowa.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 713.



JOHN C. BONWELL, retired farmer of Viola Township, now a resident of Audubon, Iowa, was born in Highland County, Ohio, near Hillsborough, November 16, 1842. He is a son of Nathaniel and Charity (Lowman) Bonwell. The father was born in Westmoreland County, Virginia, in 1792, but passed most of his youth in Kentucky, whither his parents removed when he was a child,he removed to Ohio and was there married, and settled in Highland County.There he carried on farming until his death, which occurred in 1865. His wife was a native of Pennsylvania. Late in life she came to Audubon County, where her death occurred in 1881. She was in her seventysecond year. Arthur Bonwell, grandfather of our subject, was a native of Scotland. He emigrated to America and took part in the war of 1812. He removed from Virginia to Kentucky in 1797, and at one time owned a number of slaves, whom he afterward set free. John C. Bonwell was rearedin his native county, receiving a commonschool education and acquiring a knowledge of all the details ofpractical farming.At the age of nineteen years he left the plow and volunteered in the defense of his country. He enlisted in the Sixtieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company F, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He participated in several battles and skirmishes, the most noted being the second battle of Bull Run.After this battle he was taken prisoner and held for three days, when he was paroled, sent to Annapolis, thence to Baltimore, and thence to Chicago, where he was discharged in December, 1863. In August, 1864, Mr. Bonwell reenlisted in the One Hundred and Seventyfifth Ohio, and was sent to Camp Denison, near Cincinnati. He remained there two months, and from that time until June, 1865, he was guarding bridges and railroads in Tennessee and Kentucky. He was honorably discharged in June, 1865, and then returned to Highland County, Ohio. He then started a store in Lebanon, Ohio, whichhe managed three years. During this time he was married to Miss Mary E. Miller, the oldest daughter of Jacob and Eliza Miller. In the fall of 1869 Mr. Bonwell removed with his family to Marion County, Iowa, and during the first winter taught school at Wheeling. The following summer he removed to the town of Monroe, and there he dealt in real estate and taught school.In 1874 he purchased an interest in the First National Bank of Monroe, and was bookkeeper for that institution for some time. Disposing of his interest in the bank, he went to Exira, Audubon County, Iowa, in 1875, when he engaged in the drug trade. Selling out this business, he bought 400 acres of land in Viola Township, which he has improved by erecting a substantial residence and good buildings for stock and grain. Mr.Bonwell devotes his time to feeding and raising hogs and cattle, in which he has been very successful. He has added to his farm until it now contains 720 acres, in a high state of cultivation.In the spring of 1889 he removed his family to the town of Audubon, in order to give his children better educational advantages. Mr. and Mrs. Bonwell have three daughters Pauline V., Gertrude C. and Leora May. Mr. Bonwell has served several terms as justice of the peace in Viola Township. In politics he is a staunch Republican, taking an active interest in the party, often serving as a delegate to county, judicial, congressional and State conventions. Mr. Bonwell is a member of Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M., and of Amity Chapter, No. 93, R. A. M. He is a member of Allison Post, G. A. R., and of the Red Men.He commenced life on a small capital, but by industry, good judgment and careful investments he has accumulated a large estate.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 807-808.



FRANK P. BRADLEY, dealer in livestock, Audubon, Iowa, was born in the State of Illinois, in Caldwell County, in the town of Oswego, October 3, 1862. His father, E. D. Bradley, was a prominent merchant and speculator, who was born in the State of New York; he was reared in his native State, and there married Miss Julia Hallock, who was born and brought up in the same State; soon after their marriage they removed to Caldwell County, Illinois. When Frank P. was seven years old his parents removed to Aurora, Illinois, where he was educated in the public schools; after leaving school he taught for one term. The tide of emigration being westward, young Bradley drifted in the same direction, and in 1874 came to Audubon County, stopping at the county seat, which was then Exira. In 18 he was elected clerk of the court of Audubon County, being nominated on the Democratic ticket; he held this office for three consecutive terms, six years.During his term of office the county seat was moved from Exira to Audubon; the details of this exciting contest will be found in the general history of AudubonCounty.When the court was moved Mr. Bradley moved also. On retiring from office he at once engaged in the livestock and realestate business. He purchased a large tract of land in Guthrie County, Iowa, where he has established a cattle ranch, associating himself with A. L. Campbell, the former clerk of the court, and cashier of the Citizens' Bank of Audubon.Mr. Bradley was one of the originators and stockholders of this bank, but sold his interest in the business some time ago.He now devotes considerable time to buying stock which he sells to parties for feeding, both in this county and adjoining counties. Mr. Bradley was married in 1878 to Miss Fannie Atkinson, of Exira, a daughter of George Atkinson, Esq. Mr. and Mrs. Bradley are the parents of two children. Mr. Bradley began at the bottom of the ladder, but he has not remained there, having by his own exertions acquired a large property.E. D. Bradley died in October, 1888; he opened the first store at Oakfield, Audubon County, one of the old landmarks of the county; he had purchased land in the county as early as 1854. The mother of our subject is still living, making her home with him. Isaac P. Hallock, Sr., the grandfather of Frank P. Bradley, was among the first settlers at Oakfield, and served many years as postmaster of the place. Mr. I. P. Hallock's biography appears upon another page of this volume.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 804-805.



BENJAMIN C. BROOKFIELD, a prominent farmer and dealer in real estate, of Lincoln Township, is a native of the State of Michigan, born in Berrien County, near Niles, July 19,1842. He is the youngest of five children of Noah and Mary (Collins) Brookfield, natives of Canada. The father died when Benjamin C. was seven years old. At the early age of fifteen years the tide of emigration carried him to Iowa. He settled in Jackson County and remained there until he enlisted in 1861 in the Second Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company L, giving his aid to perpetuate this nation. He was sent to St. Paul, Minnesota, and was mustered out of the service in 1862. Returning from the army, he engaged in the milling business in Jackson County, but as this proved unprofitable he abandoned it and entered the employ of Henry & Company as a collector. After two years of service to this firm he secured a position on the Burlington & Missouri Railroad, grading and preparing road bed through Iowa and other States, his services being retained by the company for a period of nearly twenty years. After leaving the railroad company he came to Iowa, and soon after rented a farm in Audubon County which belonged to George Gray. In later years he bought this land, and from time to time he has added to it, and now owns a fine tract of 280 acres, which he has improved and brought to a high state of cultivation. He has erected a good, comfortable residence, barns and cribs for stock and grain, andmany other conveniences. The farm is well stocked with hogs and cattle, both of which he handles in considerable numbers. In connection with his farm and livestock interests he buys and sells real estate for eastern parties, and loans money in different parts of the State.In 1870 Mr. Brookfield was married to Miss Rose Lowry,of Dowagiac, Michigan, in which State she was born and reared to womanhood. Her father, Thomas Lowry, was an old resident of Michigan, and a citizen held in high esteem.Mr. and Mrs. Brookfield are the parents of four children Maud, Flora, Benjamin M.and Lois. Mr. Brookfield has served his township as trustee with credit to himself and the satisfaction ofhis party. Politically he affiliates with the Republican party. He is an active member of the Knights of Pythias, No. 166.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 814-815.



ISAAC N. BROWN has been a resident of Audubon County since the year 1876. He was born in Morgan County, Ohio, September 7, 1834, and is the son of Samuel and Margaret (Brannon) Brown, natives of Ohio, who removed to Union County, Ohio, when Isaac N. was a small child. There he was reared to the life of a farmer, and received his education in the common schools. When he had attained his eighteenth year he went to Washington County, Iowa, and there remained until 1858, when he took a trip to Kansas and took up his residence there. In 1860 he returned to Washington County, and August 8, 1861, he was married to Miss Isabelle C. McNulty, daughter of William and Amadella (Adams) McNulty. She was born in Boone County, Indiana, July 29, 1840. Nine children have been born of this marriage Isaac N., residing in Audubon County; Amadella (deceased), Lenetta H., wife of Henry Engleking, of Audubon County; Maryetta E., Willie and Wilber, twins (deceased); Carrie H., Lee (deceased) and Charlie A.Mr. Brown enlisted August 9, 1862, in the State's service, and August 22, 1862, he was mustered into the United States' service, Nineteenth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, Company C. He participated in many hardfoughtbattles; amongthem are Prairie Grove, Vicksburg, Spanish Fort and Mobile. He was honorably discharged July 26, 1865, and returned to Washington County.After two years he took his family to Coffee County, Kansas, and they resided there seven years. They then came back to Washington County, and at the end of two years they came to Audubon County and settled on the George B. Russell farm, north of Exira, remaining there one year. They rented another farm the next year, and in 1872 Mr.Brown purchased eighty acres of wild land, which he has improved and increased until he has a farm of 200 acres, as fine as there is in the county. He has a good residence, buildings for stock and grain, three and a half acres of grove, and an equal tract planted to fruittrees. He devotes himself to farming and stockraising, and has been very successful in his chosen calling. He started with nothing but strength of purpose, andhas acquired his property through his own efforts.He affiliates with the Republican party, and has represented his township in itsvarious offices. Mrs. Brown and two eldest daughters are members of the Methodist Episcopal church.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pp. 780-781.



WILSON BURNSIDE, one of Audubon's prosperous business men, and one of its pioneer grain dealers, established his business in the county seat in 1878.He was the first to start the business in which he has been actively engaged ever since. He is a man who has contributed his full share to the business interests of his adopted town, and who has added very materially to its financial standing, as well as its good name.Wilson Burnside was born in McHenry County, Illinois, near Woodstock, the county seat, September 7, 1848, and is theson of Wilson and Celestia (Wayne) Burnside; the mother was a daughter of AnthonyWayne, Esq., and a native of New York; the father was of ScotchIrish descent. Wilson Burnside passed his early boyhood in McHenry County, attendingthe common school in the winter time, and assisting his father on the farm during the summer. At the age of twentytwo he went to Kansas, and embarked in the mercantile business in the town of Florence; here he remained four years, and at the expiration of that time, he disposed of the business and removed to Carroll County, Iowa.There he engaged in time grain trade and general merchandising for three and a half years, and then sold out, coining to Audubon; here he established himself in the grain trade, handling livestock, principally hogs and cattle, in connection with the grain. He built the first warehouse near the Northwestern Railroad, and also one near the Rock Island Railroad, thus affording the best shipping facilities. The first three years of his residence in Audubon, he had a store containing a general stock of merchandise, in connection with his grain business,in August, 1888, Mr. Burnside formed a partnership with C. A. Francis, under time firm name of Burnside & Francis; during the years 1888 and 1889 they shipped 200,000 bushels of corn and oats. Mr. Burnside was elected a member of the school board in 1888, and still holds that position. He is a member or Veritas Lodge, No. 392, A. F. & A. M.; Amity Chapter, No. 93, R. A. M.; and of Godfrey Commandery, No. 44, K. T. In political matters he is rather conservative. Mr. Burnside began his business career on small capital, but by industry and close attention to business he has acquired a handsome property.He has a fine residence which is situated on the summit of a hill, affording a view of Audubon and the surrounding country.Mr. Burnside was married in 1871 to Miss Mary E. Ary, of Linn County,Iowa, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Sinclair Ary, Esq.They are the parents of five children Grace B., Mary Belle, Charles, Wellington and Ned, the last two named being deceased.
   From:  1889 Biographical History of Shelby and Audubon counties, pg. 722-723.


Contributed by Marthann Kohl-Fuhs, April, 2005.

 
Site Terms, Conditions & Disclaimer
Home > Top