This history of Postville is practically that of Post township, so they cannot well be treated separately. The township comprises the congressional township No. 96 north, range 6 west of the 5th P.M., being in the extreme southwest corner of the county. Mr. A.R. Prescott was the early historian of Postville, and with his permission the editor has used his excellent sketch published thirty years ago as the basis of this chapter, with such additions or emendations as seem to be demanded by later events and present circumstances.
The physical features of the township as described by Mr. Prescott are quite varied. The surface is undulating, and in the northern part bluffy. Yellow river takes its course through the northerly part of the township, and has some remarkable features. It is formed from two branches, meeting on section 8 and almost immediately disappearing in the loose limestone formation of its bed, running underground for about two miles, then suddenly gushing out at the foot of the bluff, in one huge spring, on the northwest quarter of section 3. It is interesting to note that on some of the maps made by the early explorers of the upper Mississippi, this Yellow river was shown to have its source in a lake, a mistake proabably occurring because of thise writers imperfectly understanding the description of this big spring given them by the Indians. Thence onward, the river is rapid, clear, and in its descent affording numerous mill sites, and from the influx of other large springs, very characteristic of this valley, scarcely freezes in winter. the south bank is skirted by a belt of heavy forest, extending completely through and beyond the township lines, in width about one and a half to two miles. On the river bluffs pine was found in considerable quantities, though long since converted into early buildings. The belt of forest on the south side of the river consisted of the best varieties of oak, walnut, butternut, ash, hickory, maple, with basswood and poplar, and in spite of the white man's axe it continued to furnish its egular supply of fire wood and building materials in increased quantities for many years.
In these woods bears, wolves, panthers and wild cats were numerous in the early days, and red deer fairly flocked on the prairies up to about 1857, when a winter of deep snow and thick crust prevented their traveling, and they were almost annihilated by the hunters, throughout all this region.
Bear hunting was a favorite pasttime up to about 1854, when the last town hunt, in October, culminated in a law suit against some outsiders who happened to be "in at the death" of a wounded bear, and who had the bear skinned and the four hundred pounds of meat divided and quietly taken away before the regular hunters arrived on the ground to dispatch him. The cause was tried before John Laughlin, J.P., with Hon. John T. Clark, attorney for the plaintiffs (the regular hunters), and James & J.D. McKay for defendants. the case was carried to the District court, then to the state Supreme court, and finally decided adversely to the plaintiffs.
The settlement of Post township by white people was begun by Joel Post, a millwright from Conewango, Cattaraugus county, New York, who obtained permission to occupy the Government log shanty, or "half-way" house, built by the United States troops midway between Fort Crawford, Wisconsin, and Fort Atkinson, Iowa. The document has been preserved, and reads as follows:
"Joel Post is hereby granted the privilege of occupying the house and stable, belonging to the public, on the military road from Fort Crawford to Turkey River (I.T.) during the pleasure of General Brooke, or the commanding officer at Fort Crawford.
"The said Joel Post has permission to make such additions to house and stable as he thinks proper, and the use of the buildings are to be always open, free of charge to the use of the public; a supply of wood for the use of one fire is also to be furnished free of charge. The said Post will also be required to take charge of and be responsible for all public property placed under his charge at that place.
"The privilege of cutting a sufficient supply of hay for use of th epublic, at the nearest point at that place, is reserved; and the said Post has the privilege of cutting what wood and timber, for building and fuel, as he may find necessary for his own use and travelers. He has also the privilege of breaking ground and planting, and is always to be subject to the orders of the commanding officers at Fort Crawford.
"It is hereby further contracted by the said Post that he is not to keep spiritous liquors in his house, on any pretense whatever; neither is he to sell liquors, either directly or indirectly, to Indians or United States soldiers, under the penalty of being immediately removed; and, further, that he is not to trade with the Indians, unless by ermission from the Indian agent. It is also stated that the said Post may build nearer to the spring, as being more convenient, but at the same time must be responsible for the public buildings now erected, and also all other public property placed under his charge.
"George M. Brooke,
"Brev. Brig-Gen. Com'g 1st. Dept. W. Div.
"Fort Crawford, January 12, 1841.
"I, Joel Post, do hereby bind myself to observe the above order, in all respects, under all the penalties prescribed.
"Fort Crawford, January 12, 1841
"Witness: John Robertson, Thos. Buyber
"Note -- The power reserved by the commanding officer of Fort Crawford, in the above instrument, is also to be held by the commanding officer at Turkey river, when a senior officer to that at Fort Crawford."
The document is not a model in grammar or
punctuation, but is given above precisely as written and
The "shanty" then consisted of a log house, 16X20 feet, and a log stable somewhat larger, and was located about sixty rods east from the one-fourth post, on north side of Section 33. The occupation of the family was a kind of hotel keeping, and the promise of good business in this line was the chief inducement for Mr. Post to risk himself so far from civilization. But the business grew, and proved both profitable and pleasant, and increased so fast that in the next winter Mr. Post and one Richard Only built a more commodious and hotel-like house, which on completion afforded comfortable quarters for Government and military officers, Government teamsters, etc., and proved quite remunerative for about two years, when these teamsters, who were mostly from Illinois, planed a scheme to cheat Mr. Post out of their unpaid bills; it being the custom for them to pay their bills on their return from Fort Atkinson, where they were paid for their services.
They did this by constructing a new road or route, which could be traveled by unloaded teams, across the bend of the road; beginning near the southwest corner of section 33, and keeping near the county line. They could thus pass by the "half way" unseen, avoinding the "north bend" and the hotel bill at once. this cut-off received the name of "Sucker Chute."
These new developments led to a removal of the "half-way house" to the west end of "Sucker chute" by special permission of the commanding officer of the military department, then Major Edwin V. Sumner, in June 1843. The new location of the house was on what is now lot 12 in Ellis & Company's addition to Postville, in recent years the residence of the late James McEwen and the large stable was diagonally across the Lybrand road where is now situated the residence recently occupied by the late J.W. Ward. A well was dug just east of the house, in Maple street, which still remains in evidence. This house proved a nucleus around which settlements were made, and travelers found a quiet home and resting place, and Postville, a local habitation, and a name. A number of the men who have since become famous in the civil and military history of the country, were accustomed to visit this house and partake of its cheer, among whom are the names of H.M. Rice of Minnesota; Dousman and Bisbois; of Wisconsin; the late John Haney, and son John, Jr., of Lansing, Iowa; Capt. Nathaniel Lyon E.V. Sumner, Patterson; Capts. Miller, Schuyler, Hamilton and Lieut. Alfred Pleasanton, all these military guests later became high in command and fame in the history of the nation.
Settlements of a permanent nature began to be made as soon as the treaty for the relinquishment of the neutral ground by the Indians was made in 1847, although they were not actually removed until the following year. The first settler after Mr. Post was Squire Crossly, from Galena, Illinois, who located on section 32, half a mile west of Mr. post's, in June 1847; the next one, Josiah Reed, from Ohio, half a mile west of Crossly, in October; John Reed, on section 30; Thomas Newberry, northwest quarter of section 28, all in 1847. A number had also settled over the line in Clayton county, so that in the summer of 1848 a school was started with twenty pupils in one of the chamber rooms at Mr. post's, by Mrs. Quinn. the first religious services were also held here in June, 1848, by Rev. Eldridge Howard, a Methodist preacher, who later served in various other parts of the country. One Stevens, a Presbyterian, also held services in this house.
The principal settlers in 1848 were Henry Noble and Elias Topliff, both locating on section 30, in October or November.
On New year's day, 1849, was held the first social party in the new settlement, at the house of Mr. Post. Having spent eight years in frontier life with few neighbors, he thought the time had come when all should meet and learn the names and ways of the men and women who were to build up the new community with him. It is related that every settler within eight miles was present, the most of them bringing their wives, and in not a few cases the whole family appeared at the New Year's feast. Several uniforms were present, and the repast was spoken of as one of luxury and bountiful to excess. The festivities were kept up by the few youngsters to a late hour, and at that gathering an engagement was ma e which resulted in the first wedding ever celebrated in Allamakee County, viz; Elias J. Topliff and Anna Reed, married December 6th, 1849, by Grove A. Warner, Justice of the Peace.
A post office was established in the same month of January, called Postville, and Joel Post appointed postmaster. He, however, dying on the 24th of the same month, never knew of the appointment, as it did not arrive for some days after his decease
Several settlers arrived in 1849 whose names and locations are as follows: James H. Penny, a soldier just discharged, on section 16; Reuben Smith, section 11; Constantine Hughes, section 12; William Callender, section 9; Hirum Jones, section 15; Moses Hostetler, also on section 15; Anderson Amos, section 14. In 1850 came David W. Lyons, a Presbyterian clergyman, to section 16; Alexander J. Breedlove and Thomas Saucer on section 25; John Minert to section 21; James Mather, section 16; Wm. Fewell and Charles Bowman, on section 23; Jeremiah Prescott and Truman Stoddard, on section 36; also S.P. Hicks, L.R. Herrick, John Clark, Anderson Fewell, on section 34; David Jemison on section 28; Wm. H. Carithers on section 10; P.F. Schwartz, on section 3; Jacob Lybrand, on section 16. In 1851 came P.P. Cady to section 36; Asa Chudle to section 10; John Laughlin to section 27; Sylvester Dennis bought M. Hostetler, on section 15; and Jas. Mather, section 26. In 1852 came N.J. Beedy, to section 35; Samuel Dobson, section 22; and many others, among them A.R. Prescott.
It is presumed that Mr. post had early staked out approximately the claims he intended to purchase of the Government. But he dying early in '49 it becamse Mrs. Post's privilege to make these entries after the lands had been surveyed. The Government survey of this township was made by J.G. McDonald in 1849, and the legal entries were made by Mrs. Post in the early fall of 1850, including all of the southeast quarter of section 32 and the southwest quarter of section 33, comprising all of the now corporate limits of Postville and other lands.
About the year 1855 Mr. Reuben Smith above mentioned built a large stone house, two stories and basement, on his farm in the northeast corner of section 11, which is still standing and widely known to picnickers and fishermen as "the stone house" on Yellow river. it is now owned by Ed Smith, but is too much out of repair to be tenantable.
The first schoolhouse in Post township was located near the east line of section 36, near the village of Hardin. It was built in the fall of 1849, mainly through the efforts of Leonard B. Hodges, who taught the first school there, and figured so prominently in the early history of the county not only in this vicinity but also at Columbus. This was doubtless the first schoolhouse in the county, aside from the old mission school, and was about 16X22 feet in size, and constructed of oak logs. the last school taught in this house was by Wm. Larrabee, of Clermont, afterwards the honored Governor of the state of Iowa, and who died within the past year.
The second schoolhouse in the township was also built of oak logs, in 1852, and situated a few rods north of the quarter post on south side of section 28, not far from the original "half-way" house of Joel Post but to the northwest of it, and on the opposite side of Williams Creek.
The third, called "West Grove" was the first frame schoolhouse in the township, built in 1854, near the northeast corner of section 22, removed in 1860 to section 24, and is now on the east line of section 23.
Fourth, Postville sub-district, a frame, built in the southwest corner of section 33, in 1858, on lot 1, block 4, original plat of Postville.
Fifth, Lybrand, a frame built in 1860 on the north side of the northwest quarter of section 15.
Sixth, Minert, a frame built in 1862 near the southeast corner of section 21, to replace the log house above mentioned on section 28.
Seventh, a frame built in 1864 on the west side of section 20.
Eighth, a frame built in 1865 near the center of section 35.
Ninth, a frame built in 1865 on section 31.
Tenth, a frame on south line of section 5.
Eleventh, Myron, a frame built on a lot in that village in 1870.
Twelfth, a frame built in 1873 at the east end of the Reuben Smith bridge across Yellow river, near the northeast corner of section 11.
The accuracy of this statement has been questioned, as it is known that Mr. Smith built a small schoolhouse early in the fifties, as stated in the chapter on county schools. Mr. Prescott, who is the authority for the above, was a very careful investigator, and quite probably his statement refers to the first public school building. It is currently believed that the school taught by Judge Granger in 1854-5 was in the Reuben Smith district; but it is stated in a biography published in 1882 that the school he taught was in Franklin township; and both may be true, as the Evergreen district of recent years included territory on both sides of the line, and the original schoolhouse may have been on the Franklin side. It is hoped that interest may be aroused to determine the location of that early schoolhouse. Mr. Granger engaged with Mr. Gilson that year in the building of a sawmill at or near the present site of Werhan's mill, but gave it up and returned to Illinois.
The independent school district of Postville was organized in 1866, with the following officers: President, T.Stiles; secretary, N.W. Sites.
In 1871 a two-story and basement brick building was erected on block 29 of Lawler's addition, which has been improved from time to time, and now is steam heated and equipped with modern school conveniences, including laboratory and library. In or about 1882 increased room for the growing attendance was provided by the purchase of the old Free Baptist church. The school now (1913) has six departments, and an enrollment of 270.
Since 1869 the principals or superintendents have been: Miss Lucy Hall, A.M. Alvord, D.C. Brown, S.B. Finney, Frank H. Hannah, A.H. Tuttle, A.C. Ripley, J.W. Callender, B.H. Standish, T.F. Johnson, Mrs. S. White, J.H. Carroll, Amos Rowe, B.W. Brintnall, J.M. Bedicheck, J.L. Edsall, J.F. Smith, E.H. Hurd, F.F. Merriam, T.V. Hunt, Ida M. Sala, A.F. Harvey, H.L. Coffeen, R.S. Anderson, Arthur Wilson, F.M. Phillips, S.S. Guiles.
The following have served as president of the board, since the organization of the district: T. Stiles, J.S. Green, C.P. Darling, A. Staadt, S.S. Powers, A.P. Abbott, Jas. McEwen, Jas. Sheehy, J.H. Gray, Jos. Nicolay, J.H. Meier, Wm. Harris, J.M. Thoma, present incumbent.
The following have served as secretary: N.W. Sites, J.S. Grohe, Hall Roberts, Chas. Skelton, R.N. Douglass, and Godfrey Staadt from 1885 until the present time.
The other officers now are: Treasurer, F.H. Welzel; directors, B.C. Fleming, Wm. Weihe, A.L. Peterson, F.H. Luhman.
Post township was organized by an order of the County court in 1851, comprising the west eight miles of township 96, taken from Linton township, which had at first extended to the Winneshiek county line. The east two miles was later, March 28, 1855, set off to Franklin township, to conform to the congressional township lines. This region settled up rapidly, so that in 1854, the population (doubtless including the eight miles east and west) was reported as 504, the largest of any township in the county. There are no records of township officers elected prior to 1852. The election in April of that year was held in a blacksmith shop near the house of Chas. Bowman. Thirty-one votes were cast, and Reuben Smith, Chas. Bowman and A.J. Breedlove were chosen trustees; Jas. C. Thompson, township clerk; John Laughlin, justice of the peace; Anderson Amos, constable.
The next record is that of November 4, 1856, when ninety-four votes were polled. The records from this election are perfect. P.P. Cady was township clerk, and procured a book at his own expense, hunting over all the papers of the several officers, in vain for complete records. Much that is valuable is lost to the compiler from the absence of such important items, compelling us to rely upon the memory of the few early settlers left among us, and hwose recollections will disagree, thus rendering all atempts at exactness abortive.
At the November election, 1860, W.H. Carithers was chosen as first township supervisor on the county board; Timothy Stiles, township clerk; P.P. Cady and Emery Higbey, justices; James Patterson and Stephen Thibodo, constables.
The year 1861 was eventful as changing the future prospects of so many families in our land, and was felt largely in Post township, when, with a population entirely rural, it furnished more than forty men to the Union army, distributed and named as follows:
Company K, 1st Iowa Cavalry -- Charles T. Prescott (1st enlistment in the township), Moses A. Bollman, Moses Early, Benton Bowman, Ed Hanan, John S. Post, Stephen Harris, David M. Minert, Wm. H. Saucer.
Company I, 9th Iowa Infantry -- John S. Mather, Squire Mather, Geo. S. Rice.
Company B, 12th Iowa Infantry -- Wm. Maynard, Elias Repp, chas. Russell, Stephen Thibodo.
Company B, 13th Iowa Infantry -- Jesse P. Prescott, Elza Sanders, David Vickery, Julian D. Miller.
Company B, 21st Iowa Infantry -- Wm. T. Hays.
Company A, 27th Iowa Infantry -- Caleb I Bishop, Daniel Cole, Warren Clough, Elisha Curry, Saul Dobson, Theodore Granger, C.C. Marston, Darius C. Mather, Meredith McGee, Calvin McMullen, Hiram hawkins, Andrew J. Patterson, James Patterson, Warren R. Reed, Truman Stoddard, Geo. W. Topliff, John Pixler, A.L. Stiles, Alonzo Thornton.
Company -, 38th Iowa Infantry -- John L. Johnson
Company I, Engineer Regt. Mo. Vols. -- A.R. Prescott, William R. Johnson, John F. Jones, George W. Wheeler and William Harris.
Company B, 18th No. Infantry -- Dennis A. Harden.
Fifteen of these perished in battle or the hospital. The others, few of them whole or sound, returned to their homes to begin where they left off -- at the plow or bench, in store or shop.
In the year 1848 Gen. A.C. Dodge, then Senator from Iowa, recommended the establishment of a postoffice at the "half-way house," on the Military Road in then Clayton county, to be called Postville, with Joel Post as postmaster. The appointment was made, of date January 19, 1849, but as Mr. Post died on the 24th of that month a commission was then issued to Elijah Stevenson, who thus became the first postmaster. The original plat of the village of Postville was not laid out until June, 1853, by S.P. Hicks, county surveyor, the proprietors being Mrs. Zeruiah Hayward (widow of Joel Post) and husband George S. Hayward. The plat consisted of four blocks of eight lots each, the center being at the intersection of the Military Road with Bruce street, now southern part of Lawler street. Mrs. Post, resuming her former name after divorce from Mr. Hayward, later resided west of this plat, on lot 5, south side of Military Road. She continued a resident of Postville until her death December 22, 1886.
A store was opened in 1851 by Josiah D. Reed & Co., who were succeeded in 1856 by Samuel J. Russell. a blacksmith named Draper started a sho in 1851 also, but business had not much increased until 1855, when James Roll succeeded Draper in the smithy, and also built a small frame hotel. Numerous dwellings had been erected, and in 1857 the new and commodious "National Hotel" was completed by Mrs. Post. H.B. Hazleton put in a stock of goods in 1859. Webster & Stevenson bought out S.J. Russell in 1863. By this time several swellings and trade shops had been built on the main street, that is, the old Military Road, and stores had been enlarged and repaired.
Business now received a fresh impetus by the construction of the McGregor Western Railway, and its completion to this place, the first train arriving on the 8th day of august; 1864. The handling of freight and mails began on the first day of September following. At once the place put on new airs. mrs. (Post) Hayward sold the north three-fourths of the southeast quarter of section 32 to John Lawler, the Prairie du chien railroad man, who laid out thereon the "Town of Postville," it now being generally called Lawler's addition, or "Lawler's Postville." Associated with hiim in the enterprise were Joseph (Diamond Jo) Reynolds, of steamboat fame, and John T. Stoneman, the McGregor lawyer. A station was built and John S. Grohe became the first station agent for the railroad. It may be here added that this old building which long ago became antiquated and inadequate is now after nearly a half century about to be replaced with a substantial modern structure, in this A.D. 1913.
To go back; a large grain elevator was built by Lawler & Reynolds at a cost of $26,000, 50X90 feet, with seventeen bins, and a capacity of 51,000 bushels. It was completed about the middle of September, 1864, and did a very large business, the pay roll of its employees amounting to some $500 per month. E.D. Holton and Hall Roberts put in an extensive stock of merchandise near the elevator.
The business and professional men of Postville in January, 1868, were noted by a correspondent of the Waukon Standard as follows:
General Merchandise -- Stevenson & Lyon, Webster & Clark, Roberts & Bros., H.B. Hazleton, and Liethold & Poesch.
Groceries -- John Moir.
Drug Stores -- N.W. Stiles and Anthony Staadt.
Hardware -- Ingalls & Co. and Stone Bros.
Furniture -- S.D. McClelland and Hazleton & Co.
Wagonmakers -- H. Smith and J.C. Dow.
Blacksmiths -- Jas. Roll, R. Mathew, Reed & Hesperd, Hudson & Co.
Harness Makers -- A.W. McDaneld, and Ernest Schmidt.
Lumber -- Hoyt & B. and Selley & Shaw.
Physicians -- L. Brown, Jr., and J.S. Green.
Hotels -- National, by C. Van Hooser; and Kelly House, by John Kelly.
Meat Markets -- John Hoppas, and Wm. Patterson.
Postmaster -- John Moir.
J.S. Grohe, agent, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, and U.S. Express Co.; J.N. Liethold, M.U. Express Company.
Billiards -- O. Raymond and M. Beucher.
A large grain elevator by Bassett & Huntting.
T. Stiles, notary public; G.F. Webster, justice of the peace; N. Clough, constable.
Masonic lodge, G.F. Webster, W.M., and A. Dresser, secretary.
Congregational, Baptist, and Methodist churches, the first two of which have good houses of worship.
The railway company had just erected water tank,
with windmill for pumping.
New buildings were being erected in all parts of the place, denoting healthy growth and increasing prosperity.
Passing over the events of a few years, which were prosperous ones for the township, we mention that in 1871 the assessed value of the total amount of property was $255,026. The village had increased to correspond with the rural districts.
The Northeastern Iowa Agricultural Society was organized here in March, 1871, embracing four counties, banded together for the mutual improvement of all branches of industry. For several years a successful district fair was held on the grounds north of town, but in 1882 the land was resold for farming purposes.
The Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railway Company began business on the Milwaukee division of their road in Postville, about September 5, 1872, James Perry, agent.
Hall Roberts purchased one-third of the Lawler & Reynolds elevator in 1875. The company (known as Hall Roberts & Co.) handled one hundred and eighty-five thousand bushels of grain the same year. W.S. and Hall Roberts started the Postville Bank also this year.
Municipal. The town of Postville was incorporated March 11, 1873, and its municipal officers from that time to this date have been as follows:
Mayor, J.S. Mott; Recorder, D.T. Smethurst; Treasurer, H.P. Dawes; Marshall, A.W. McDaneld; Trustees, A.Staadt, C.P. Darling, J.N. Leithold, A.P. Abbott, J.H. Sanders.
Mayor, John Putnam, (died soon after election, S.S. Powers elected to fill vacancy); Recorder, N.W. Stiles; Treasurer, D.T. Smethurst; Marshal, H.P. Dawes; Trustees, A.P. Abbott, J.S. Mott, James Stevenson, F. Meyer, Matt Leithold.
Mayor, S.S. Powers; Recorder, James Perry; Treasurer, D.T. Smethurst; Marshall, W.W. Hains; Councilmen, J.S. Mott, A. Staadt, F. Meyer, C.L. Allen, L. Brown.
Mayor, S.S. Powers; Recorder, James Perry; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, F.S. Burling; Marshal, E. Ragan; Councilmen, J.S. Mott, A.P. Abbott, F. Meyer, N.J. Beedy, A.W. McDaneld
Mayor, Hall Roberts; Recorder, James Perry; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, D.T. Smethurst; Marshall, F.E. Brothers; Coucilmen, A.P. Abbott, F. Meyer, A. Gorman, J.N. Leithold, George Lull.
Mayor, George Lull; Recorder, James Perry; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal and Street Commissioner, H.P. Dawes; Councilmen, A.P. Abbott, G.W. McKay, J. McAdam, C.A. Leithold, C.L. Allen.
Mayor, James Perry; Recorder, H.E. Babcock; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, F.S. Burling; Street Com., N.J. Beedy; Marshal, Edward Douglass; Councilmen, James McEwen, R.N. Douglass, C.P. Darling, A. Staadt, C.A. Leithold, R. Meyer.
Mayor, S.S. Powers; Recorder, H.E. Babcock; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, H. Stone; Marshal and Steet Com., Enos Ervin; Councilmen, J.S. Mott, James McEwen, C.A. Leithold, R.N. Douglass, C.P. Darling, R. Meyer.
Mayor, N.J. Beedy; Recorder, H.E. Babcock; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, H. Stone; Marshal, W.W. Hains; Street Com., N.J. Beedy; Councilmen, J.S. Mott, James McEwen, C.A. Leithold, R.N. Douglass, C.P. Darling, R. Meyer.
Mayor, N.J. Beedy; Recorder, B.F. Taylor; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, H. Stone; Marshal, W.W. Hains; Street Com., N.J. Beedy; Councilmen, R.N. Douglass, R. Meyer, C. Thoma, T.B. Easton, F.S. Burling, J.S. Mott.
Mayor, N.J. Beedy; Recorder, B.F. Taylor; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, H. Stone; Marshal, A.F. Marston; Street Com., N.J. Beedy; councilmen, T.B. Easton, F.S. Burling, W.N. Burdick, C. Thoma, R.A.T. Meyer, James McEwen.
Mayor, S.S. Powers; Recorder, James Perry; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, H. Stone; Marshal and Steet Com., N.J. Beedy; Councilmen, James McEwen, W.N. Burdick, F.S. Burling, T.B. Easton, C. Thoma, Joseph Nicolay.
Mayor, S.S. Powers; Recorder, Rudolph Meyer; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal, James Havirland; Street Com., John Cole; Councilmen, James McEwen, W.N. Burdick, R.N. Douglass, Conrad Thoma, Joseph Nicolay, James Sheehy.
Mayor, James McEwen; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal, James H. McGhee; Street Com., John Cole; Councilmen, R.N. Douglass, Joseph Nicolay, James sheehy, Conrad Thoma, Frank M. Orr, W.S. Webster.
Mayor, James McEwen; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal, John Huffy; Street Com., J.A. Havirland; Councilmen, F.M. Orr, W.S. Webster, R.N. Douglass, Conrad Thoma, Jacob Meyer, James Sheehy.
Mayor, James McEwen; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal, J.A. Havirland; Street Com., John Cole; Councilmen, F.M. Orr, Jacob Meyer, Conrad Thoma, James Sheehy, S.F. Clinton, W.S. Webster.
Mayor, James McEwen; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, James Perry; Marshal, J.A. Havirland; Street Com., John Cole; Councilmen, S.F. Clinton, James Sheehy, Jacob Meyer, Conrad Thoma, F.M. Orr, R.N. Douglass.
Mayor, James McEwen; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Street Com., N.J. Beedy; Councilmen, R.N. Douglass, F.M. Orr, James Sheehy, Jacob Meyer, C. Thoma, S.F. Clinton.
Mayor, W.C. McNeil; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, W.S. Roberts; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshall, P.J. Beucher; Street Com., H.B. Taylor; Councilmen, F.M. Orr, R.N. Douglass, Jacob Meyer, G. Staadt, J.H. Sanders, C. Thoma.
Mayor, S.F. Clinton; Recorder, William shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, F.W. Tuller; Street Com., John Cole; Councilmen, R.N. Douglass, Jacob Meyer, C. Thoma, W.C. McNeil, J.H. Sanders, G. Staadt.
Mayor, S.F. Clinton; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, J.M. Prior; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, R.N. Douglass, W.C. McNeil, J.H. Sanders, G. Staadt, Carl Holter, J. Waters.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, W.C. McNeil, R.N. Douglass, Carl Holter, John Waters, William Leui, John Thoma.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, Fred schara; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, Carl Holter, John Waters, John Thoma, William Leui, W.C. McNeil, R.N. Douglass.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Waters, William Leui, John Thoma, C. Holter, R.N. Douglass, W.C. McNeil.
Mayor, F.S. Burling; Recorder, William shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Street Com. John Schultz; Councilmen, John Waters, Carl Holter, R.N. Douglass, Jacob Meyer, John Thoma, W.C. McNeil.
Mayor, F.S. Burling; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Waters, Carl Holter, John Thoma, Jacob Meyer, J.H. Meier, John Sanders.
Mayor, F.S. Burling; Recorder, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Waters, Carl Holter, J.H. Meier, Jacob Meyer, John Sanders, John Thoma.
Mayor, J.I. Shepherd; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Steet Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, Carl Holter, John Sanders, Jacob Meyer, John Waters, J.H. Meier, J.M. Harris
Mayor, J.I. Shepherd; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G Hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, Carl Holter, Jacob Meyer, John Waters, J.M. Harris, J.H. Meier, John Sanders.
Mayor, John H. Meier; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.G. Hawkins; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Sanders, J.M. Harris, Jacob Meyer, John Waters, Carl Holter, William Moll.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, H.B. Taylor; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Sanders, Carl Holter, John Waters, Jacob Meyer, William Moll, J.M. Thoma.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, C.A. Dayton; Street Com., John Schultz; Councilmen, John Waters, Carl Holter, Jacob Meyer, John Thoma, John Sanders, William Moll.
Mayor, J.B. Hart; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, Henry Behrens; Street Com., Henry Behrens; Councilmen, John Sanders, John M. Thoma, Jacob Meyer, James Gregg, John C. Hecker, William Moll.
Mayor, Joseph Nicolay; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, F.H. Welzel; Marshal, Elmer McGhee; Street Com., James McCunniff; Councilmen, John Sanders, James Gregg, John C. Hecker, William Harris, William Weihe, John Harnack.
Mayor, James Perry (Mayor Perry died February 17, 1910, and March 4th J.M. Harris was appointed to fill vacancy); Clerk, William shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, George S. Tuttle; Street Commissioner and Marshal, James McCunniff; Waterworks Supt., A.W. Lange; Councilmen, Wm. Weihe, John Harnack, William Harris, Charles Sonnkalb, Fred E. Crandall, A.J. Phillips.
Mayor, P.J. Beucher; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen; Assessor, A.L. Meier; Street Commissioner, John F. Palas; Marshal, Ed Maroney; Water Works Superintendent, A.W. Lange; Councilmen, Chas. Sonnkalb, Fred E. Crandall, J.H. Meier, James Gregg and F.J. Thoma. R.D. Blackburn was appointed councilman to fill vacancy caused by resignation of C. Sonnkalb. H.S. Luhman was appointed councilman to fill vacancy caused by resignation of Fred E. Crandall.
Mayor, P.J. Beucher; Clerk, William Shepherd; Treasurer, James McEwen (Mr. McEwen died October 31, 1912, and L.S. McEwen was appointed treasurer to fill vacancy); Assessor, A.L. Meier; Street Commissioner, Marshal and Water Works Superintendent, L.A. Bellows; Councilmen, James Gregg, Fred J. Thoma, R.D. Blackburn, H.S. Luhman and C.W. Meier.
In 1909 a franchise was granted to F.R. Hale to
construct an electric plant. And since March, 1910, the town has
been lighted by electricity supplied from the plant of the Upper
Iowa Power Company on the river of that name, in Winneshiek
county. Previous to this the Iowa Light & Heat Company, of
Preston, Iowa, operated a gas-lighting system from the year 1902,
giving way to electricity as stated.
The municipality owns and operates its own waterworks system, having an excellent plant, installed in November, 1895, at a cost of about $18,000, including extensions and improvements to this date, spring of 1913. The water supply is ample, and procured from one deep well, being pumped by electric power derived from the Iowa River plant above mentioned, into an elevated tank having a capacity of 70,500 gallons. The system of water mains comprises about two and a half miles; and for fire purposes there are twenty-two fire hydrants well distributed.
The city fire department is composed of thirty-two men, volunteer service, of course, the principal officers now being: Samuel Hoesly, chief; and A.C. Webster, assistant chief. The organization of the fire company dates from May 15, 1877. The equipment for its use now consists of one hook and ladder truck, two hose carts with 1,000 feet of hose; and one general alarm with electric striker.
The town of Postville should have a big credit mark, and it citizens are to be congratulated, because of the remarkable fact that it has accomplished all these improvements and is now without a corporate debt.
Methodist Church --- As before stated, the first religious services ever held in Post township were held in June, 1848, by the Methodists, who organized a class in December, 1850, at the house of Henry Noble, who was class leader. Meetings were held by the class in the house of John Minert in 1852-53, known as the West Grove appointment. Meetings were also held with other classes, which were organized as settlers' houses offered opportunity, until schoolhouses were built. In 1856 a class was formed at the house of F. Higby, Esq., in Postville, where meetings were held with little intermission till 1858, when the class occupied the new schoolhouse, with regular preaching, alternating with the Congregational society. The pastors were: Mann, Asbaugh, Bronson, Bishop, Newton, Churchill, Stout, F.K. Miller, Wm. Lease. This pastor began regular service in Postville October, 1859, to October, 1861; B. Holcomb, two years; B.C. Barnes, two years. During this term a parsonage was built, and Postville became the head of the circuit, with appointments at Frankville, Castalia and Red Schoolhouse. Rev. Wm. Young, 1865-66; then B.F. Taylor, J.E. Fitch, two years; Rev. G.L. Garrison, three years. During this pastorate a church edifice was built. The corner stone was laid with elaborate ceremony July 4, 1872, was completed, furnished and dedicated February 16, 1873; cost, $4,500. Church membership, 58; on probation, 9. Condition of the church at this time was spiritually low; prayer and class meetings neglected. Rev. Jason L. Paine took charge in October, 1873, and soon after increased interest was manifest in the society. Rev. John Dolph in charge from September, 1875 to 1878. During his term a revival occurred in the community, and twenty-nine members were added to the church. Rev. Geo. W. Pratt served as pastor three years, and thirty-eight members were received in 1879.
The pastor in 1882 was Rev. H.E. Warner, who was followed by McKim, Lease, J.C. Lockwood and Slingerland, until 1892, when B.D. Smith came and served through 1894; H.S. Church, 1895; H.S. Bargelt, 1896-97; H.H. Barton, 1897-1900; N.D. Parker, 1901-2; W.W. Robinson, 1903-06; C.E. Smith, 1908-09; J.S. Westfall, 1910; C.C. Casper, 1911-12; W.R. Mellott, 1913.
The present church officers are: Board of Stewards, H.S. Luhman, Mrs. Meier; Recording Steward, Carl Holter; Trustees, Carl Holter, F.S. Burling, J.M. Harris, G.E. Eaton, L.D.B. Hawkins, A.L. Meier, B.F. Bollman.
The church property now consists of a good-sized brick church built in 1872, which has been added to and improved from time to time. In 1892 it was reseated and new furniture installed. Also, there is a good parsonage alongside the church. There is an active Epworth League society: Mrs. W.H. Burling, president, and Sevena Sawvel, secretary.
[transcribers note: in the original text, the following names are in the middle of the sentence describing the church property -Flora Burling, B.F. Bollman, W.H. Burling, Mrs. Flora Franklin. Mrs. Bell - most likely an error made when the book was at the printer]
The Congregational church was organized April 5, 1856, by Samuel Russell and Lucy P. Russell, of Second Congregational church, Rockford, Illinois. John Moir and Deborah, his wife, and Geo. Kerr, of the Congregational church, of Roscoe, Illinois, with Mrs. Anna Orr, of the Presbyterian church, of Tyrone, New York. John Moir was chosen deacon and S.J. Russell, scribe. Rev. D.B. Davidson, of Monona, Iowa, was engaged to preach alternate Sundays, and the Lord's Supper was celebrated. Afterward, worship was held in the old Post dwelling, the house of Mr. Russell, the schoolhouse at Springfield, and the schoolhouse in the village as soon as completed, which was in 1858 -- members were received from time to time, and on March 9, 1865, preliminary steps were taken to build a house of worship. An association was formed and incorporated, the trustees being John Moir, S.J. Russell, D.W.C. Rowley, Oliver Mackey and Geo. Kerr. At a meeting held June 9, 1865, it was resolved to build a frame edifice 36X48 feet, on lots 1 and 2, block 23, in Postville. Among the subscribers to the building fund are noticed the names of Geo. G. Greene, Wm. Green, S. Conover, E.D. Holton, Hall and W.S. Roberts, John Lawler, F.F. Elmendorf, John T. Stoneman, Samuel Merrill (since Governor of Iowa), Wm. B. Strong, J.N. Gilchrist, J.L. Dearborn, ex-Governor Wm. Bross, of Chicago, Illinois. The church was finished and dedicated on September 12, 1867. Rev. C.R. French was supply, but the association being somewhat crippled in the expense of building, the house was rented to the M.E. society, to April, 1868, when Mr. J.L. Atkinson, of the Chicago Theological Seminary, began regular services.
The pastors in succession have been: Rev. Wm. H. Barrows, Rev. Geo. F. Bronson, Rev. C.A. Marshall, Rev. J.A. Hoyt, Rev. L.P. Matthews. During this pastorate a revival occurred, and twenty-five members were received. Rev. Horace H. Robbins, of Muscatine, Iowa, filled the pulpit from July 1, 1878, to May 1, 1880. During this pastor's term thirty-three members were added, the house of worship repaired, a lecture room built, grounds fenced and other improvements made. Rev. A.S. Houston, of Denmark, Iowa, a vacation term of four months; Rev. C.S. Newhall, to June 25, 1882; Rev. A.F. Loomis, of Dixon, Illinois, July, 1882, to August, '83; Rev. J.W. Ferner, February, 1884, to December, '87; Rev. J.O. Thrush, April, 1888, to October, '90; Rev. M.L. Burton, February, 1891, to August, '92; Rev. L.S. Hand, October, 1892, to June, '96; Rev. S.W. Pollard, July, 1896, to February, 1902; Rev. T.M. Higginbotham, August, 1902, to February, '04; Rev. D.W. Blakely, August, 1904, to August, '06; Rev. F.W. Pease, January, 1907, to April, '11; Rev. J.F. Childress, May, 1911, and present pastor.
In 1887 the church building was remodeled and an addition built, doubling the seating capacity. And during the summer of 1912 the church was redecorated and painted both inside and out. The names of the present church officers are as follows: Deacons, Chas. Kerr and Bert Marston; Trustees, Hall Roberts, C.A. Ammons and Peter Service; Clerk, Mrs. Nettie Marston.
The Sunday school, of which Hall Roberts has been superintendent for thirty-four years, averages about one hundred in attendance. An active society of Christian Endeavor is kept up in connection with the church.
Presbyterian -- Rev. D.W. Lyons organized a Presbyterian church at Postville in 1852, but it did not flourish long, and he went to Kansas in 1856. Later he retired from the ministry because of ill health, and some years after returned to Postville, engaging in real estate and merchandising. Still later he resided at Mason City and Des Moines, again returning to Postville in 1880. He owned a great deal of land hereabout and in Franklin township.
The Free Will Baptist Society was organized in 1865, and a house of worship built in 1866, which was dedicated in 1867. The principal workers were Martin Boardman, H.B. Hazleton, Jonathan Ellis and Geo. W. Hanks. Rev. N.R. George was the first pastor. Services were kept up, with some omissions, until 1880. After some efforts to recuperate, it was decided to sell the property, and a sale to the Postville school district was consummated in May, 1882.
German Lutheran -- This society was formed in the spring of 1872, and a house of worship built by subscription the same year. The leaders in this commendable undertaking were Conrad Thoma, Jacob Leui, E. Ruckstaschel, Fred Thoma, Carl Schultz, Leithold Brothers and Carl Knodt. The first pastor was Andrew Johnson. A German school has been kept by some of th epastors. This society was incorporated January 16, 1880, as the "German Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul's Church of Postville," with the following named officers: President, Conrad Thoma; Vice President, Henry Eggert; Secretary, Rudolph Meyer; Treasurer, William Thoma; Directors, henry Weihe, Carl Wagner and William Meyer.
The Frauen Verein now has something over five hundred dollars in its treasury with which to help build an addition to the parsonage. The present pastor is Rev. R. Kuhne.
United Brethren -- A society of htis denomination was organized in 1868, and a house of worship built in 1869, at the center of th enorthwest quarter of section 23, a frame structure and well finished, called "Bethel Church." February 20, 1871, this society became incorporated as the "West Grove Meeting House Association of United Brethren in Christ," with the following named trustees: Robert Laughlin, David Jemison, William Simpson, A.J. Patterson and Wells Eaton. This church organization has continued to flourish until this time, and has made various improvements upon its property as occasion required. It has been served by a number of able preachers, the present pastor being Rev. A.E. Hursh, serving both this church and Castalia.
Catholic -- A Cathollic society was organized here many years ago, and in 1872 they erected a good sized frame church edifice at a cost of $2,500. The local society was not very strong for the first few years of its existence, but of late has become more prosperous, and is now planning for extensive improvements to its property. A beginning has been made for a two-story brick parsonage, 32X34 feet in size, with all modern equipments. It is proposed to remove the old church building from the north side of the railroad track to the lot adjoining the new parsonage. Father J.J. Clune is the present pastor.
This society became incorporated under the Iowa statutes December 18, 1911, as St. Bridget's Church of Postville, Archbishop James J. Keane, of Dubuque, ex-officio president, J.J. Clune, pastor and vice president, Joseph Steele and B.C. Fleming, laymen directors.
Early Sunday Schools.
Of the early Sunday schools of Post township the first one organized was in the first log schoolhouse, in the Hardin district, in 1852, and it was kept up as "Hardin Union Sabbath School," with a few winter omissions, until 1872, when it was divided among the several religious societies of Hardin village.
The second was organized in the old log schoolhouse of the Postville district in 1854, by J.C. Marston, who was the first superintendent. This school was also kept up well to the year 1869, when, becoming very large, it also was divided by the Congregational, Methodist and Free Will Baptist churches, October 9, 1869.
A large and interesting Sunday school was also kept up at the United Brethren, Bethel church, from its organization in 1869.
A.F. & A.M. - Brotherly Love Lodge, No. 204, was chartered in June, 1867. G.F. Webster was the first W.M. Present officers are: W.M., F.H. Luhman; S.W., A.C. Webster; J.W., B.E. Tuttle; Treasurer, G. Staadt; Secretary, J.M. Thoma; S.D., E.E. McMartin; J.D., W.E. Durno; S.S., F.J. Thoma; J.S., R.W. Tuller; Tyler, H. Christoferson.
O.E.S. - Postville Chapter, No. 238, was organized in March, 1898, and is a strong and active society, with constantly increasing membership. Present officers: W.M., Ruby Webster; W. Patron, Hugh Shepherd; Assoc. Matron, Josephine Durno; Treasurer, Mrs. D.E. Harrington; Secretary, Blanche Durno; Conductress, Mrs. F.H. Welzel; Assoc. Conductress, Mrs. W.C. Thoma; Adah, Mrs. F.H. Luhman; Ruth, Mrs. F. Gates; Esther, Mrs. E.P. Durno; Martha, Mrs. G.D. Harrington; Electa, Mrs. B.E. Tuttle; Chaplain, Mrs. Florence Rathburn; Marshal, Mrs. Ray F. Topliff; Organist, Crystal Leithold; Warden, Mrs. Arthur S. Burdick; Sentinel, Herman Webb.
I.O.O.F. - Postville Lodge, No 266, was instituted December 5, 1873, the first Noble Grand being H.P. Dawes. In the spring of 1888 they lost all their property by fire, in the second story of the John Moir building; and in June, 1891, they surrendered their charter. A new lodge was organized and a charter granted to Postville Lodge, No. 707, on october 21, 1904, with but half a dozen charter members, and the lodge now numbers forty-nine, with officers as follows: P.G., Frank Suchanek; N.G., Chas. H. Freitag; V.G., John L. Gregg; Secretary, Geo. S. Tuttle; Treasurer, Geo. W. Fay; R.S., N.G., B.W. Lange; L.S., N.G., Wm. H. Weihe; R.S., V.G., A.S. Burdick; L.S., V.G., A.J. Phillips; Warden, J.W. Campbell; Chaplain, V.G. Bollman; Conductor, J.F. palas; R.S.S., J.A. fisher; L.S.S., F.C. Meier; I.G., Wm. Harris; O.G., J.P. Ellis. D.D.G.M. for the Third district, comprising Allamakee county, B.W. Lange; Trustees, J.W. Campbell, Wm. Harris and F.W. Eaton.
Turn Verein - The Postville society of this name was incorporated November 10, 1877, with the following officers: First Speaker, Anton Spoo; Second Speaker, Carl Knodt; Secretary, Godfrey Staadt; Treasurer, Mathias Leithold. Other incorporators were: Chas. Blanchaine, Anthony Staadt, Theodore King and H.W. Meyer. The Postville Turn Verein was re-incorporated March 4, 1899, at which time its officers consisted of: First Speaker, John Moetsch; Second Speaker, C.H. Meyer; Secretary, G. Dietsch; and Treasurer, Wm. Kluss. The present officers are: President, John Moetsch; Vice President, Conrad Welzel; Secretary, Frank Sebastian; Treasurer, John M. Thoma; Cashier, Wm. Moll.
This society has flourished from the start, and has for many years operated a hall which has been used for most of the large public gatherings in the town. At this writing it has been decided to build a fine new opera house, 48X106 feet, with full modern equipment, at a cost of $12,000.
M.W.A. - Oak Camp, No. 328, Modern Woodmen of America, wa organized in 1887, at Postville, with a charter membership of only ten. It has thriven with the order, until now its membership is 136, and its present officers are: Venerable Consul, Hugh Shepherd; Worthy Advisor, Bert Tuttle; Clerk, G.Staadt; Banker, A.L. Peterson; Escort, C.A. Ammons; Watchman, Fred Gordon; Sentry, N. Harvey.
A good start has been made toward a public library, which is at present kept in a room in the Postville Review building. The secretary is Lena B. Hecker.
Through the generosity of their old townsman, Hall Roberts, the people of Postville now enjoy the posession of a small park in the heart of the town, the gift having been made in this spring of 1913. The conditions attached are reasonable and easily complied with, as follows:
That the grass shall be mowed and raked as frequently as a home lawn.
That the public shall be kept from using it as a thoroughfare in going to or from the Milwaukee depot.
That plants and flowers shall be put in the rockery in their season.
That no intoxicating liquors shall ever be permitted to be sold on the grounds.
And that no concerts, except sacred ones, shall be permitted in the park on Sundays.
Roberts' Park comprises four city lots opposite the Commercial Hotel, in which eighteen yeras ago Mr. Roberts set out elm, oak, poplar, maple, basswood and other native trees; he built a fine rockery on the plot that is beautiful with the flowers and foliage of plants during the summer months, and the lawn has been kept closely mowed and raked, and all this he has done at his own expense. It has been an inviting spot to waried travelers to eat a lunch or await a train, and town folks too have ofttimes enjoyed its inviting shade.
Of the early physicians of Postville the most prominent were Dr. John S. Green, who had practiced at Hardin since 1854, and came to Postville in 1867, and Dr. Luther Brown, a hospital steward in the regular army and graduate of Rush Medical College, Chicago, who located here in 1866. Both were here about a quarter of a century. Dr. John Shepherd practiced here for many years, until his death in 1902. Others were: S. Riddle, 1858 to '62; ---- Linert, 1864-5; and Boughton, in 1874.
The attorneys who established their offices here were not numerous, the first being T.C. Ransom, who had lived at Hardin and Waukon for some years prior to locating in Postville in May, 1868. After two or three years he removed to Forest City, Iowa. Simeon S. Powers also had an office at Hardin until he formed a partnership with Ransom at Postville in 1870. He continued to practice here until his death, which ocurred in the fall of 1887. Fred S. Burling and Herman A. Stowe practiced here in partnership for over ten years, coming from West Union in July, 1872. Mr. Stowe withdrew from the firm and went West; but Mr. Burling has continued in the profession here for more than forty years. John T. Clark, the pioneer lawyer of Waukon, established an office in Postville in 1880; but later made his home with his son at Lime Springs where he passed his declining years.
Elijah Stevenson, '49 to '51. James Stevenson, '51 to '53. Josiah D. Reed, '53 to '56. Emery Higbey, '56 to '59. H.B. Hazleton, '59 to '63. G.F. Webster, '63 to '65. Warren Stiles, September 2, '65 to June 30, '66. John Moir, Jr., July 1, '66, to December 31, '77. A.R. Prescott from January 1, 1878, until succeeded by N.J. Beedy, who served during Cleveland's first term. Capt. Jas. Perry, four years under Harrison. J.N. Leithold, four years under Cleveland. Editor W.N. Burdick then recieved the appointment by McKinley, but lived less than two years, when his son A.S. Burdick was appointed and still holds the fort.
Postville Business Directory, 1882.
Attorneys -- Burling & Stowe, John T. Clark, S.S. Powers.
Insurance Agenst -- F.S. Burling, H. Dawes, O.E. Omley, S.S. Powers.
Postmaster -- Alva R. Prescott
Agent C.M. & St. P. R.R. -- James F. Wilson
Agent B.C.R. & N.R.R. -- James Perry
Newspapers -- Postville Review, District Post
Jewelers -- J.H. Gray, J. Glines.
Lumber -- J.S. Mott
Hardware and Tinware -- Matthew Beucher, Mott & McAdam, H. Stone
Drugs, Medicine and Books -- Bayless, Douglass & Co., Anton Staadt
Restaurants -- Edward Sheehy, John Thoma
Wagon Makers -- Meyer & Hecker
Agricultural Implements -- C.A. Leithold, Kemmerer, Lamb & Co.
Pumps and Windmills -- A.F. Marston
Carpenters -- C.P. Darling, H.P. Dawes, T.M. Miller, J.W. Sheehy, H.B. Taylor, E.E. Wilson
Hotels -- "Commercial," J.M. Lisher; "Burlington," Burhans Bros.
Painters -- J.B. Reed, E.H. Putnam, Taylor, Phillip Deitzler
Photographer -- B.F. Taylor
General Merchandise -- John A. Finney, Luhman & Sanders, F.W. Roberts, Skelton & McEwen, Ward & Meyer
Clothing -- D. Osterdock
Fruit and Confectionery -- Peter Miller, John Moir, Jr.
Bakery -- Peter Miller
Blacksmiths -- Meyer & Hecker, E. Parsons, G.W. Stafford
Shoemakers -- Wm. Grans, J.B. Schmidt, A. Stockman
Cabinet Makers and Furniture Dealers -- T.B. Easton, August Koevenig, A.W. McDaneld
Machine and Repair Shop -- Dresser & Fairchild
Harness Makers -- J.A. Enke, H.W. Meyer
Milliners and Dressmakers -- Canfield & Jones, Duff & Cross, Viola Hunter
Barber -- J.K. Phillips
Company D, 4th Regiment, I.N.G. was enrolled March 16, 1880. Mustered into service by Capt. E.B. Bascom, of Lansing, Iowa, the same day. An election for officers was immediately held, and James Perry elected captain; A.R. Prescott, first lieutenant, Joseph B. Reed, second lieutenant.
H.P. Dawes was first sergeant; Loren M. Powers, second sergeant; J.J. Beedy, third sergeant; Arthur F. Marston, fourth sergeant; *Ed H. Putnam, fifth sergeant; Wm. F. Owen, first corporal; Frank Orr, second corporal; Elbert D. Stiles, third corporal; D. Henry Laughlin, fourth corporal.
Musicians - *Dennis Hardin, Jas. Sheehy
Privates - Joseph Anderson, George Bellows, C.J. Bishop, J. Cole, Edgar Clough, James Doyle, Chas. Gordon, John H. Griffin, Ben S. Gulic, Fred E. Haines, James Hogan, John McGhee, James McGhee, Chas. T. Makepeace, George McWilliams, Dennis Murphy, Lyman Newton, John O'Brien, Darius Orr, Ellison Orr, Lyman Patterson, John K. Phillips, Timothy Perry, Fred Rathman, John Redhead, Lincoln Redhead, Henry J. Reusch, John S. Roll, James T. Shepherd, Wm. Shepherd, Stephen Spoo, *Alonzo L. Stiles, Lamotte Taylor, Otis Van Velzer, Hugh Wheeler, N.E. Wells, Geo. W. White, Henry Wells.
No record of the official succession in the company is at hand, but we find that at the Cedar Falls encampment in 1883 the captain was Darious Orr, who was promoted to the lieut-colonelcy later. The company had a good spirit and would undoubtedly have done their full duty had necessity occurred. But before such occasion arose they had somewhat lost interest, and the authorities replaced the company with an organizaiton in another town.
The Postville Review was established in 1873, the first issue being dated March 19th. The proprietor was F.M. McCormack, a printer from Decorah, who gave it an independent republican cast of politics. After conducting the paper for a couple of years in his peculiar manner McCormack sold out to W.N. burdick who vastly improved it in character and made of it a faithful exponent of the interests of the town. An outline of his newspaper career is given in the chapter on the county press. At his death in 1901 the Review passed into the hands of his sons, A.E. and A.S. Burdick, who continue its management today.
In August, 1882, a paper called the District Post was started by M.C. Mead, formerly of the Holland, Iowa, Gazette, devoted to the interests of the Greenback party, but it ceased to exist after two or three years.
In 1891 the Iowa Volksblatt, a German paper, was established by J. Gass, a former pastor of the Lutheran church of this place. It started out with an edition of 1,500 copies, and the first four issues were printed on the press of the Review. After this a Washinton hand press was used for several years. In 1895 Mr. Gass transferred the management of the paper to his printers, Henry Brechler and Gustav Dietsch, both of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and in 1897 Mr. Dietsch bought out the other parties and ocnducted it alone until March 1, 1908, when he sold the plant, including the office building, to Paul Ronneberger and Sam Hoesley, both experienced newspaper men from Monroe, Wisconsin, who continue to operate it.
The Postville Graphic was established by Edgar F. Medary, December 10, 1891. In 1893 Mr. Medary was called to take charge of the Waukon Democrat, because of the death of both his father and brother who had owned it, and he turned over the Graphic to Bruce Baldwin, a newspaper writer of some note in this part of the state. His control was brief, however, and he was succeeded by W.J. Wallis, who continued the business with profit until 1899, when he removed the plant to Waukon and with his son started the Allamakee Democrat. This venture proved a mistake, and they shortly after sold the outfit to Medary, who consolidated it with his own plant.
The Postville State Bank - This institution is the outgrowth of a private bank started by Scott Roberts and Hall Roberts in 1877, and known as Roberts Brothers Bank. As such it was continued until May 2, 1891, when it became incorporated as the Postville State Bank, with a capital of $50,000, and the following officers: President, W.C. McNeil; Vice President, J.B. Hart; Cashier, F.W. Roberts; Directors, Wm. Larrabee, A. Hart, A. Staadt, Geo. Redhead, D. Jacobia, W.C. McNeil, Hall Roberts, J.B. Hart and F.W. Roberts.
In a 1894 J.B. Hart was elected president, and so continued until 1911. F.E. Crandall was elected cashierin 1907 and held that position until 1911, also. At that time Wm. Leui was elected president and A.L. Peterson, cashier, which offices they still hold. F.W. Roberts is now vice president.
June 6, 1911, the state charter was renewed for twenty years. When organized as a state bank the capital was fixed at $50,000, which was all paid in and a surplus fund was gradually accumulated from the earnings until the suplus is now equal to the capital, $50,000 each. Deposits are now about $425,000, and have increased rapidly within the last few years. During the last year, 1912, this institution erected a fine new bank building at a cost of about $15,000. It is thoroughly equipped with all the modern arrangements and devices for the safety and convenience of its patrons, and is in a better condition than ever to take care of their business.
The present directors of this bank are: Wm. Leui, A.L. Peterson, F.W. Roberts, Hall Roberts, Wm. Weihe, B.C. Fleming, Godfrey Staadt, and C.F. Meier.
The Citizens State Bank - This bank was incorporated April 27, 1891, with a capital of $25,000, and the following named officers: President, F.L. Williams; Vice President, W.S. Webster; Cashier, James McEwen; Directors, Fred Beedy, Carl Holter, R.N. Douglass, and John Sanders; these with the officers constituting the board of directors.
In July, 1911, the bank renewed its incorporation for a second period of twenty years; and on January 24, 1912, its capital was increased from $25,000 to $100,000, and its directorate increased to nine. And at the annual meeting in June, 1913, the following officers were elected for the current year: President, R.N. Douglass; Vice President, H.S. Luhman; Cashier, L.S. McEwen (to take the place of his father, Jas. McEwen, who had served continuously from 1891 until his death, in October, 1912); Assistant Cashier, Leo O. Beucher; Directords (besides the above named officers), P.J. Beucher, L.H. Schroeder, F.L. Williams, Carl Holter, John Waters, Wm. Harris.
The annual report shows this institution to be in a prosperous condition, with an increase of over $100,000 each in deposits and loans. The April report to state auditor showed total assets of %522,407.78; deposits of $409,163.73; undivided profits, $13,240.05.
Brick and Tile
An enterprise which adds much to the prestige of Postville as an important business center is the Postville Clay Products Company, organized in 1910, and incorporated June 11th of that year, with authorized capital of $75,000. Its officers at the time were: President and Treasurer, R.M. Burtis; Vice President, W.H. Burtis; Secretary, A.E. Cornell. Its purpose was stated, especially, "to manufacture clay or other products of all kinds or forms and of every name and nature, and to sell and trade in such products and all kinds of other real and personal property and manufactured products." The concern have installed a valuable equipment of machinery of improved patterns, and the plant continues to grown and flourish. It has recently added another battery of drying kilns to increase its output.
The local press recently published the following list, furninshed by Geo. S. Tuttle, of Post township men, who voted for Lincoln in '60. Of the list Edmond Douglass is the oldest having voted at eighteen presidential elections, his first being for Henry Clay in 1844. Several others voted for Fremont in 1856. The list follows: Edmond Douglass, James Orr, David Vickery, L.D.B. Hawkins, Horace Willis, George Lull, A. Abernethy, George Redhead, Warren Stiles, John Moir, John Durno, J.H. Laughlin, charles Bloxham, Enos Ervin, J.D. Lawson, all of Post township, and all but two of whom live in Postville.
Way back in the dim and musty past when Postville was but a flag station on the Military Road between Fort Crawford, Wisconsin, and Fort Atkinson, Iowa, there was built in this hamlet an imposing hostlery called the National Hotel, and in its day it was rather a pretentious structure, which enjoyed a good patronage and put Postville on the map in big red letters. Time rolled on and the railroad rolled in, and other inns came, with the result that the old tavern came into disuse as such and was remodeled somewhat and converted into a residence, and is now occupied as such by Carl Senholz and Mr. and Mrs. W.C. Thoma. The upper story of the structure has been little changed and on a window pane upstairs in a guest room is inscribed the following autograph, probably cut in the glass with a diamond ring: "Mrs. Harris Hoyt, Chicago, Nov. 7, 1864." -- Postville Review, July, 1913.
Lybrand -- The first town in the county to have a platted existence as shown by the county records, was founded by Jacob Lybrand, who came from West Union in the spring of 1850. It was located on section 15 Post township, and was platted May 3, 1851, from a survey made April 1st by S.P. Hicks, deputy county surveyor. Hiram Jones and Jacob Lybrand were the owners of the land, and their acknowledgment was taken before Elias Topliff, justice of the peace. Being on the main traveled road between McGregor's Landing and Decorah, it soon became a place of considerable importance for those days. Mr. Lybrand opened a store, and a postoffice was established here in 1851, but was discontinued sometime in the late sixties. Hiram Jones also kept a store in 1853 and'54. There was a milliner ship and shoe shops; and in 1854 John D. Cooper started to build a large stone hotel, but it was unfinished when he sold to Elisha Harris the following fall. Mr. Harris eventually bought all of the land comprising the village, and made a farm of it, converting the shops and stores into barns and sheds from produce and farm stock. The "great hotel," finished by him, was totally destroyed by a tornado, September 21, 1881. There was a Presbyterian church organization here until 1856 being with that at Postville, in the third presbytery of the Synod of Iowa.
The old "double trail" to the Indian "Decorah village" ran through this settlement from "Hickory Creek" at Hardin; and crossed the Yellow river at what was called "the dry sink," from near which one of the mainly traveled branches diverged towards the north, passing west of Waukon and extending to two Indian villages in the Iowa valley near the mouth of French Creek. Mr. Lybrand was a bachelor, of somewhat eccentric habits, and was widely known as a remarkably honest and conscientious man. He remained here a few years when he removed to Minnesota and located a town which he named St. Nicholas, on Lake Albert Lea. The town of Albert Lea got the start of his place, however, for county seat, and he went to Alexandria, that state, from which he was driven by the Indian outbrak of 1862, and returned to Allamakee and Fayette counties for a couple of years. Again going to Minnesota, he located the town of Red Wood Falls, but finally returned to Alexandria, where he died January 21, 1875, upwards of seventy years of age.
Myron -- Is situated on the Yellow river, in Post township, near the north line, and dates its platted existence only from May 8, 1873, although it is an old-time settlement and far more entitled to be styled a village than many of the mythical towns so-called. It possessed a large and excellent fouring mill for many years; also a store, postoffice, blacksmith shop, etc. It was named for F. Myron Schwartz, son of P.F. Schwartz, the first settler. After the discontinuance of the postoffice at Lybrand, by the resignation of Elisha Harris, it was removed to the house of P.F. Schwartz who was appointed postmaster of "Myron" in 1869. R.T Burnham removed his flouring mill from Hardin to Myron in 1865. S.F. Goodykoontz, of Waukon, purchased a half interest in the property in 1866, and a little later had a plat surveyed on the east half of section 3. D.D. Hendrick started a store in 1867. Some building was done, a schoolhouse erected, and several dwellings put up, to the north of the platted village. There is an excellent waterpower here, and the flouring mill was the life of the place. When the milling industry declined all other business faded away; and the postoffice followed upon the introduction of the rural mail service, within a very few years.
Cleveland -- Was started in 1856, by James M. and Marie Ann Arnold, the original owners, and was situated on the northeast quarter of southeast quarter of section 1. The plat was surveyed in march, 1856, and acknowledged before John Laughlin, justice of the peace. Mr. Arnold had settled here in 1850, near the Reuben Smith location of the previous year. Cleveland was practically one with Manchester, which was just over the line in Franklin township. There was a postoffice here in 1861, which was discontinued a few years later.
Moneek -- was in Winneshiek county, just over the line, but furnished the first lumber fo rAllamakee county settlers in 1850. It was located on the north fork of Yellow river, on section 1 in Bloomfield township, and the sawmill was built in 1849 by Moses S. McSwain and Abner DeCow. Others came in, mostly Canadians. A postoffice was established in 1852, and existed for some ten years. Frank Teabout started Frankville, and the state road was located along this ridge, leaving Moneek inaccessible down among the hills. Its decline began in 1855, the tide of immigration flowing by, and the village entirely disappeared.
In 1854, Post was the most thickly settled part of the county, the population being 504. in 1910 the township contained 713 exclusive of Postville which had 952.
The township officers of Post, in 1913, are: Clerk Geo. S. Tuttle; Trustees, Arthur Behrens, Mort C. Deering, J.M. Harris; Assessor, Wm. Foels; Justices, Wm. Shepherd and A.F Marston; Constable, E.A. McGhee.
Among the early mills in Post township was Saunder's mill on the south fork of Yellow river, in section 20, and a sawmill a short distance below this in the south edge of section 17. Both of these appear on a map published in February, 1859. Also "Smith's mill" on section 12. This place came near being the first county seat, in the contest with Columbus in 1851.
-source: Past & Present of Allamakee County; Ellery M. Hancock, 1913
-transcribed by Sharyl Ferrall
Return to 1913 Index