IAGenWeb Project - Allamakee co. Church records
updated 11/14/2013

Waterville Lutheran Church
Waterville, Paint Creek township

Norwegian Lutheran Church, Waterville, IA, 1923

Norwegian Lutheran Church, Waterville, IA
November 1923
~ photo contributed by Sue Kenyon

1936 Confirmation class
Waterville Lutheran Church
Confirmation Class, July 12, 1936

Front L-R: Anna Jacobson, Rhoda Pederson, Rev. Wareberg, Ruth Mae Erickson, Betty Sorenson
Back L-R: Arthur Hilleshiem, Earl Erickson, Bernice Johnson, Donald Fredendahl, Verdun Ellefson

~contributed by Reid R. Johnson, son of Rhoda Pederson


Waterville Lutheran Church. Photographer: Reid R. Johnson, 2013 Waterville Lutheran Church. Photographer: Reid R. Johnson, 2013

Above - Photos of the Waterville Lutheran Church taken summer 2013 by Reid R. Johnson

Brief History

The Waterville Lutheran church was organized in 1877 by 4 families. It began as a mission outpost of the Augustana Synod, later joined with the Norwegian Synod, then joined the American Lutheran church, and finally in 1987 the Evangelical Lutheran church.

Over the years, Waterville Lutheran shared ministry with other area congregations. Rev. David Lynes - the first pastor, traveled from Springfield Lutheran church in Calmar to hold services in Waterville. Others were the Norwegian Lutheran Congregation at Lansing (known now as Our Saviors Lutheran, Lansing) and the Norwegian Congregation of McGregor (known now as First Lutheran of McGregor).

The church had a joint relationship with congregations of the Norwegian Synod churches, East & West Paint Creek churches, and their pastor, The Reverend Hagbert Harmann, came to serve the congregation in Waterville.

The cornerstone of the church building was laid November 4, 1906 and the building dedicated in Octover 1907. In June 1965 a rededication of the church was celebrated when the church was remodeled and a new altar installed.

In September 2010 the congregation celebrated its final worship service - ending 133 years of service to Waterville and the Paint Creek vicinity.

~abstracted from a history compiled by the congregation in 2010, extracted from a news article appearing in the Waukon Standard, 8/25/2010


Return to Church index