First Entries of Government Lands; First Importation of Lumber; First Grist Mill; First Post office; Interesting Reminiscences; First Official Seal; First Terms of Court and List of Grand Jurors; First Party Organization; Systems of County Management; List of County Officers; State Senatorship and Representatives from Date of Organization to Present Time; the Circuit Court.

History of Winneshiek and Allamakee Counties Iowa,1882
by W. E. Alexander
Sioux City, Iowa: Western Publishing Co., 1882
Reprinted by Winneshiek County Historical Society


Although the Indian title was extinguished, and the county was open to settlement in 1848, the lands were not put upon the market until about the first of October 1850. The earliest entry of Government land we have found upon the records is that of the southeast quarter southeast quarter section 19, and three forties in section 30, all in Paint Creek Township, to Geo. Watkins, October 7, 1850.

In 1851 or '52, Porter Bellows located in the valley of the Upper Iowa, and a few years later erected a gristmill near the mouth of French Creek, known as the McMillan Mill.

In June 1851, G. W. Carver came to Lansing with a stock of lumber, the first in the County. He furnished the lumber for the first buildings erected on Makee Ridge. We believe he became the pioneer settler on Portland Prairie, north of the Iowa, in May 1852. He made large claims of school lands under the State laws, and held the same until it reverted to the Government, as the Commissioner had selected too much land for school purposes. His claims were in litigation from 1858 until 1872, when by special act of the Legislature he was awarded $3,000 damages.

William Werhan came into the county in 1851, and in company with P. M. Gilson erected a gristmill on the Yellow River, in Franklin Township, in 1854.

The first post office is thought to have been the one established at Postville in January '49. A post office was established at Lansing in the summer of 1849.

A post office was early established at the Eells place, but the date of establishment is unknown. This was on the road from Lansing to Decorah, and a popular stopping place for travelers between these points.

The first physician in the central portion of the county was J.W. Flint, who located on Makee Ridge in Œ52 or Œ53.

From some interesting reminiscences contributed to the Waukon Standard, in 1877, by D. B. Raymond, we make some quotations that here find their appropriate place.

"Standing on the Lansing Ridge about six or eight miles out from the river and looking over the valley of Village Creek and to the north where ridges and ravines with their rippling streams are lost in the view, toward the Upper Iowa River, I think it is as romantic as any view ever beheld by the writer; the more so, as my first view was when not a living white man had a house in this region save what I call to mind in these papers. I believe that I am correct when I say that Mr. John A. Wakefield was the first who put up a dwelling on the ridge out from Lansing; at least we found him ensconced in a good house with some improvements at our first advent there (1852). He was a man of considerable avoirdupois and went by the title of Colonel or Major. He had a great desire for prominence and office, and was subject to many hard hits from competitors. As he often gloried in his valorous deeds in the war with Blackhawk; the keen, cutting sarcasm of J. W. Remine, the Lansing lawyer, and some others, drove the old Colonel almost to frenzy on some occasions. As he was indeed a pioneer, he sold out and moved to Nebraska in the summer of 1854. He was quite enterprising in improvements, and had a water-ram in operation several rods below his house to force the water from a nice spring to his dwelling, which was considered a great luxury on the ridge; as every one reading these lines that know Lansing Ridge will bear me witness that it is a dry expanse, the elevation carrying the traveler many feet above some good springs on either side. Thus my memory reverts to the many draughts of cool water from the pipe at the Colonel‚s place and can only think of him as a true benefactor.

"The next dwelling out from Col. Wakefield's was, I think, Mr. Judsen Hersey's, where we found this true Yankee behind a counter selling goods to the passing emigrants. The first impression of this man was lasting, and con only thing if him as a genial gentleman with genuine enterprise. I regard him as the pioneer merchant of Makee and the entire country west from Lansing at that time.

"The settlement formed in 1852 by the Herseys and Pratts at the western termination of Lansing Ridge was at that time a prominent place, as it was characterized by great enterprise, but when the commissioners drove the stake for the future county seat, the enterprising residents of Makee, like a flock of sheep, followed the bell weather to Waukon and became pioneers in building up this beautiful village within plain view of the first scenes of their labors.

"As we approached the level country eighteen or twenty miles west from the river-I say level because near the river the bluffs and ravines were so unlike what I was used to in Ohio that the country at the head of the streams running back from the river was to my mind level, although it was all rolling and interspersed with miniature ridges and ravines-when we reached Union Prairie after traveling through two or more miles of openings from Hersey's store, what a beautiful scene was presented to view! The open prairie gently rolling like waves of the sea, all covered with grass, apparently as even as a floor; the frequent flutter of prairie chickens as they rose from the wagon path; and the bright crimson waves of the sun towards evening glittering over the waving grass; such a sight can never be seen again in the same place and under the same circumstances. In my mind I can see it now; but years have wrought many changes.

Mr. Raymond was of the opinion that the name of Village Creek was taken from the great number of Indian villages at one time located along its beautiful valley.

In the year 1853 Jesse M. Rose built, probably, the first gristmill, with bolt, in Allamakee and Winneshiek counties. It was located on Village Creek, where the village of that name now is, in the western edge of Lafayette Township. Farmers brought their grists to this mill from Winneshiek County and from over the line in Minnesota; and it is said even from Clayton County. It did a large business, running day and night, only being delayed in order to make repairs. Azee Pratt and other Makee carpenters assisted in its construction. Mr. Rose went west about 1875.

The first newspaper published in the county was the Intelligencer, at Lansing, by Wm. H. Sumner. The first number was issued Nov. 23, 1852.

The first seal used by the county court is now in the possession of J.A. Townsend. Mr. Dean describes it as follows: Instead of the convenient and handsome seal of the present day, it was a piece of brass with the proper inscription cut thereon, and was used by making a rail fast at one end to something solid, then placing the seal upon the paper on a desk at the proper distance; then the rail was laid across the seal and the County Judge got his leg over the other end of the rail and soused it down a few times and the impression was made on the paper.

The first term of District Court for the county was opened at Columbus, then the county seat, on Monday, July 12, 1852. Hon. Thos. S. Wilson of Dubuque, Judge; Leonard B. Hodges, Clerk, and Wm. C. Thompson, Sheriff. The following named persons were empanelled as the First Grand Jury: Wm. H. Morrison, Foreman; Edward Eells, John Clark, H. R. Ellis, R. Woodward, Jesse M. Rose, W. W. Willson, Darius Bennett, G. A. Warner, Hedry Botsford, Tremain Stoddard, Wm. Smith, A. J. Ellis, Jeremiah Clark, T. A. Winsted. The Petit Jury consisted of Reuben Smith, A. W. Hoag, B. D. Clark, David Miller, John Stull, Charles R. Hoag, A. L. Barron, Thomas Cosgrove, and H. M. Willson.

The first term held in Waukon was set for Monday, June 6, 1853; but we find from the record that "The presiding Judge in order to give time for the preparation of a suitable place at Waukon, the newly selected county seat, by written order, directed the court to be adjourned till to-morrow." June 7th, there was no business, and the court was again adjourned one day. W. C. Thompson was Sheriff, and R. Ottman, Deputy Clerk, acted in the absence of his superior, L. B. Hodges. Much delay in the business of the court was occasioned by the fact of jurors and witnesses having been summoned to appear at Columbus.

On the 8th, "the Sheriff returned into court with the Grand Jury," and the court was opened, Judge Thos. S. Wilson, of Dubuque, presiding. From old files of the Lansing Intelligencer, we find that he arrived at Lansing on the 7th, on the steamer, West Point, and on the following morning (Wednesday) formally opened the term at the Court House, in Waukon (then spelled Wawon invariably). That building is described as being a new log cabin, small and rather inconvenient, but, considering that the official whose duty is was to provide suitable accommodations (evidently referring to Judge Topliff) for the transaction of public business had refused to do so, and that the structure was erected by private enterprise, as good as could be expected. This difficulty arose from the unwillingness of Judge Topliff and Hodges, who were interested in the town site of Columbus, to surrender the county seat from that place, and the matter was brought into court at that term, as will be narrated in the chapter of county seat matters.

L. B. Hodges, Clerk of the County Court and acting Clerk of the District Court, not appearing at his post, the Sheriff was dispatched in pursuit of him, and he was brought into court. He immediately resigned his office, and no action was had in reference to him, as the resignation was considered satisfactory. L. W. Hersey was appointed County Clerk in his stead. The court was adjourned, after disposing of some forty-five cases, the 8th of October.

The county lots at Waukon were offered for sale by County Judge Topliff, on the 6th of September. Each had been appraised and the price fixed. One-fourth of the purchase money was required in hand, and the balance in twelve months. The county gave a bond for deed, the property being school lands.

At an election held on the first day of August 1853, the several townships cast the following ballots:

Lansing 46

Lafayette 44

Makee 47

Union Prairie 36

Jefferson 19

Post 36

Ludlow 22

Linton 32

Paint Creek 25

Franklin 21

Union City 8

Taylor 15

It will be seen that but two-thirds of the eventual number of townships then possessed an organization, and the dates of organizing some of these it is now impossible to ascertain.

The first record we find of a formal organization in the county of the followers of a designated political faith bears date, December 10, 1853, when the following notice was circulated.

To the Democratic Voters of Allamakee County-Fellow Citizens:

You are hereby notified that a meeting will be held at Waukon on Saturday, Dec 24, 1853, for the purpose of taking into consideration the propriety of an immediate organization of the Democratic Party in our county. Also for the further purpose of appointing delegates to the State Convention, etc.

W. C. Thompson, Jas. W. Flint, M. B. Lyons, } Com., etc.

At this meeting Edward Eells was chosen Chairman and C. J. White, Secretary, and it was

Resolved, That the Democrats of the county of Allamakee ought to and hereby do organize themselves into a regular political party, according to the time-honored usages of the same, both in the State and nation, and as auxiliary thereto.

The central committee consisted of Archa Whaley, Reuben Sencebaugh, Wm. H. Morrison, Edward Eells and A. J. Hersey.

The township committees were-

Union City-Geo. Spence, Wm. Dennison, G. W. Carver.

Lansing-Richard Luckins, A. J. Tillotson, Jas. P. Hughes.

Lafayette-W. C. Thompson, R. Ottman, O. S. Conkey.

Makee-C. Paulk, T. Minard, Aug. Hersey.

Union Prairie-J. E. Morgan, Lorin Eells, George Merrill.

Ludlow-E. Reed, Luther Howes, Henry Beaver.

Jefferson-W. S. Ross, Henry Coffman, H. Burgess.

Paint Creek-Andrew Mitchell, Thos. Anderson, Geo. Watkins.

Taylor-David Harper, Michael Dignan, Otto Langfield.

Linton-Allen Scott, L. W. Hays, Henry Johnson.

Franklin-John Brisco, Austin Smith, John S. Clark.

Post-James Arnold, Reuben Smith.

Wm. H. Morrison, S. A. Tupper and J. W. Flint were appointed delegates to the State Convention.

The convention thereupon resolved to authorize the central committee to fix the ratio of representation; that we have undiminished confidence in the administration of the general government, and will continue to give our undivided support; the state government merits our approbation and continued confidence; our senators, for their uniform attachment to Democratic principles, are entitles to the cordial support of every true Democrat, and the gratitude, influence and support of every true friend of western interest, etc.

In view of the heated political events of after days, we reprint, in full, the comments of the editor of the Mirror upon the foregoing record. He wrote:

We have more than once expressed our views in regard to party organizations in this new country. We consider them impolitic, and with this view we must condemn the one noticed above, and we believe the majority of the people will coincide with us. And in making these remarks we do not infringe upon the strict line of neutrality we have adopted. These objections we should apply to the organization of any party here.


From the organization of the county, in the spring of 1849, to August 1851, the management of county affairs was vested in a board of three commissioners, chosen by the people, and recognized as the Board of County Commissioners. The system of county management originated in Virginia, whose early settlers soon became large landed proprietors, aristocratic in feeling, living apart in almost baronial magnificence on their own estates, and owning the laboring part of the population. The county organization, where a few influential men managed the whole business of the community, was, moreover, consonant with their recollections or traditions of the dignities of the landed aristocracy of England, in their descent from whom the Virginia gentlemen felt so much pride. This system spread from Virginia through the South, and into some of the northern states.

In 1851 a County Court was created (see Code of Iowa, 1851, chap. 15). The act creating this Court gave the County Judge jurisdiction of probate affairs, and clothed him with all the powers previously exercised by the Board of County Commissioners. In short, it legislated the Commissioners out of existence.

On the 22nd of March 1860, the Legislature passed an act "creating a Board of Supervisors, and defining their duties." (Rev. Of Iowa, p. 48). This law went into effect July 4, 1860, and provided for the election of one Supervisor from each civil township. When assembled together for the transaction of county business, these town representatives were known as the Board of County Supervisors. The township system has its origin in Massachusetts, and dates back to 1635. The first legal enactment concerning this system provided that, whereas, "particular towns have many things which concern only themselves, and the ordering of their own affairs, and disposing of business in their own town," therefore "the freemen of every town, or the major part of them, shall only have power to dispose of their own lands and wards, with all the appurtenances of said towns, to grant lots, and to make such orders as may concern the well-ordering of their own towns, and not repugnant to the laws and orders established by the General Court. "They might also impose fines of not more than twenty shillings, and "choose their own particular officers, as constables, surveyors for the highway, and the like." Evidently this enactment relieved the General Court of a mass of municipal details, without any danger to the powers of that body in controlling general measures of public policy. Probably, also, a demand from the freemen of the towns was felt for the control of their own home concerns.

Similar provisions for the incorporation of towns were made in the first constitution of Connecticut, adopted in 1639, and the plan of township organization became universal throughout New England, and came westward with the emigrants from New England into New York, Ohio and other western states. There being a large New England element among the population of Iowa, it is fair to presume that their influence secured the adoption of this system in Iowa, as created in the act already quoted.

It seems, however that the township system did not continue in general favor with the people of the State. Objections were made that the body was unwieldy and expensive, and that the thinly populated townships, wielded an undue proportion of power in the Board compared with their actual voting strength, and in 1871, the system was so modified as to vest the powers of the former Board in a body to be composed of three or five Supervisors (Code, Title IV, Chapter 2). From the time of this law going into effect, the affairs of this county have been under the control of a Board of Supervisors consisting of three members, one of whom is elected annually, at the general election, for a term of three years.

With these preliminary remarks we present as complete a list of our county officers, from the organization of the county to the present time, as it is possible to produce at this day, it being borne in mind that the early records are very incomplete and unsatisfactory in this point:

County Commissioners-James M. Sumner, Joseph W. Holmes, 1849 (April election). August election, 1849, James M. Sumner, Thomas A. Van Sickle, Daniel G. Beck. Whether any others served as Commissioners before the system gave way to that of a County Judge in 1851, we have been unable to ascertain.

Clerk of Commissioners‚ Court-Daniel G. Beck, 1849, Grove A. Warner, '49 to '51.

Clerk of District Court-Stephen Holcomb, 1849-50; Thos. B. Twiford, 1850-51; Leonard B. Hodges, 1851-53; Lewis W. Hersey, 1853-56; C. J. White, 1856-64; J. G. Orr, 1864-66; Giles P. Ellis, 1866-68; John W. Pratt, 1868-74; H. O. Dayton, 1874-80; L. M. Bearce, 1880-82.

Sheriff-Lester W. Hayes, 1849-51; William C. Thompson, 1851-53; John Laughlin, 1853-55; John A. Townsend, 1855-59; W. C. Thompson again, 1859-61; James Palmer, 1861-65; J. A. Townsend again, 1865-67; Robert Bathan, 1867-71; Jas. Palmer again, 1871-73; Geo. Hewit, 1873-81; Chris. A. Leithold, 1881-82, and present incumbent.

Recorder and Treasurer-Elias Topliff, 1849-51; James M. Sumner, 1851-52; James Bell, 1852-53; Thos. C. Linton, 1853; John J. Shaw, 1853-55; L. O. Hatch, 1855-57; Elias Topliff, 1857-60; A. H. Houghton, 1860-61; L. H. Howe, 1861-died summer of '63; James Duffy, appointed to fill vacancy, 1863; Michael Healy elected 1863-65.

Judge of Probate Court-Stephen Holcomb, 1849-.

Inspector of Weights and Measures-G. A. Warner, 1849-; in January session of Board of Supervisors, 1863, on motion, L. H. Howe was appointed Sealer of Weights and Measures for Allamakee County.

Coroner-C. P. Williams, 1849-; M. F. Luark, 1857-58; F. W. Nottingham, 1858-59; J. W. Granger, 1859-61; John Ryan, 1861-63; John Farrell, 1863-65; David Harper, 1865-66; Fred Bartheld, 1866-67; J. Farrell, 1867-69; A. G. Collins, 1869-71; L. B. Adams, 1871-73; W. D. Morgan, 1873-75; John Farrell, 1875-77; D. H. Bowen, 1877-81; W. D. Morgan, 1881-2, present incumbent.

Surveyor-James M. Sumner, 1849. Between this date and 1857, L. B. Hodges, S. P. Hicks, John M. Cushing, Joel Dayton, and H. O. Dayton. W. W. Hungerford, 1857-59; John Ryan, 1859-61; H. O. Dayton, 1861-71; Henry Dayton, 1865-69; John G. Ratcliff, 1869-71; H. O. Dayton again, 1871-74; James McAnaney, 1874-77; A. R. Prescott, 1877-79; Harvey B. Miner, 1879-82, and present incumbent.

Prosecuting Attorney-John W. Remine appointed in November, 1851, to "serve until his successor be duly qualified after the April election of 1852;" Sewell Goodridge, 1852-54; John T. Clark, 1854, resigned June 30, 1857; Geo. W. Camp, appointed July 2, 1857, and elected that fall.

School Funding Commissioner-Wm. F. Ross, 1851, until the office was discontinued in 1858.

County Judge-Elias Topliff, 1851 to 1857; Geo. M. Dean, 1857-59; John A. Townsend, 1859-61; O. S. Conkey, 1861-67; M. B. Hendrick, 1867 to '68, when the office of County Judge was discontinued and Judge Hendrick became ex-officio Auditor until the close of his term, December 31, 1869.

Drainage Commissioner-A. J. Hersey, 1853-; G. W. Gray, 1857-58; J. W. Merrill, 1858-59; Geo. L. Miller, 1859-69.

Superintendent of Schools-This office was established in 1858, and J. W. Flint was elected that year. In 1859 R. C. Armstrong was elected, and served until he departed in 1861; J. Loughran appointed 1861; A. H. Houghton in 1861-62; John O. Havens, 1863; T. C. Ransom, 1863-65; Theo. Nachtwey, 1865-69; Lenthel Eells, 1869-71; Thos. F. Healy, 1871-73, died May 31st, and the Board of Supervisors appointed John W. Hinchon, who was elected at the following election, October, 1873, and served until September 23, 1876, when he resigned and L. Eells was appointed, elected at the next election to fill vacancy; J. Loughran elected 1877-79; Amos Row, 1879-81; Lenthel Eell again elected in 1881, and the present incumbent.

Treasurer.--M. Healy, 1865-67; H. H. Stilwell, 1867-69; James Duffy, 1869-73; John Ryan, 1873-77; George H. Bryant, 1877-82, and present incumbent.

Recorder.--Patrick Ryder, 1865-68; D. W. Reed, 1868-78; Ed. D. Purdy, 1878-82.

Auditor.--The office of County Auditor was created by act of Legislature at its session of 1868, and the duties of the office began January 1st, 1869, and were performed by the ex-County Judge the first year; M. B. Hendrick, 1869-71; W. C. Thompson, 1871-79: Samuel R. Thompson, 1879-82, and present incumbent.

County Supervisors--The first meeting of the Board of Supervisors convened at Waukon on January 7, 1861. In accordance with the new system the following persons were elected as Supervisors form the respective townships:

Center, W. Bacon; Fairview, P. O'Mally; Franklin, Selden Candee; French Creek, Hugh Riley; Hanover, Erick Ellefson; Iowa, Matin Moor; Jefferson, Geo. N. Burger; Lafayette, James Duncan; Lnasing, G. Kerndt; Linton, Wm. Mosher; Ludlow, Isaac Greer; Makee, Moses Hancock; Paint Creek, Jam Bryson; Post, Wm. H. Carithers; Taylor, Michael Healy; Union City, J. Everett; Union Paririe, John Goodykoontz; Waterloo, A. Schwartzhoff. Moses Hancock was elected Chairman.

During the existence of this system of township representation, which continued until December 31, 1870, the townships were represented as shown by the following record:

Center--W. Bacon, 1861; F. B. Hale, 1862-64; Adam Cavers, 1864-67; P. Soderstrom, 1867-70.

Fairview--Peter O'Malley, 1861-65; Nicholas Drumm, 1866-76; J. S. Deremo, 1868-69; P. O'Malley, 1870.

Franklin--Selden Candee, 1861-66; D. W. Lyons, 1867-68, D. Dickerson, 1869; S. Candee, 1870.

French Creek--Hugh Riley, 1861-66; Porter Bellows, 8167-68; Hugh Riley, 1869-70.

Hanover--Erick Ellefson, 1861-66; John C. Barr (appointed), 1866; Oscar F. Ferris, 1867-68; Hans G. Hanson, 1869; W. H. Reid, 1869-70.

Iowa--Martin Moore, 1861-63; William Cox (appointed), 1863-65; Michael Gabbett, 1866-69; Martin Moore, 1870.

Jefferson--Geo. N. Burger, 1861-65; Robert Bathan, 1866-67; H.S. Cooper, 1868; James Bryson, 1869-70.

Lafayette--James Duncan, 1861-65; Philip Byrne, 1866; H. O. Dayton, 1867; P. Farley, 1868-70.

Lansing--Gustav Kerndt, 1861-64; C. J. White, 1865-66; G. Kerndt, 1867-69; John Haney, Jr., 1870.

Linton--Wm. Moshier, 1861; John B. Sutter, 1862-64; N. Davis, 1865; H. H. Stilwell, 1865-67; Jermiah Leas, 1868-70.

Ludlow--Isaac Greer, 1861-63; P. G. Wright, 1864-65; Thomas Feeley, 1866-68; Jas. C. Smith, 1868-69; Wm. J. Jones, 1870.

Makee--Moses Hancock, 1861-62; Sidney Burlingame, 1863; L. M. Bearce (appointed), 1863-64; Richard Wilber (appointed), 1865-66; D. W. Adams (appointed upon Wilber's resignation, September), 1866-69; H. H. Stilwell, 1870.

Paint Creek--James Bryson, 1861; James Duffey, 1862-63; Reuben Sencebaugh (appointed), 1863; Wm. S. Cooke, 1864; T. M. Van Horn (appointed), 1864-65; James R. Conway, 1865-67; Hans Smeby, 1868-70.

Post--Wm. H. Carithers, 1861-63; S. McArther, 1864; E. Higby, 1865; Wm. H. Carithers (appointed), 1865-67; S. F. Goodykoontz, 1868-70.

Taylor--Michael Healey, 1861-63; John Ryan (appointed), 1864-66; Bernard Finegan, 1867-68; Michael Barry, 1869-70.

Union City--Josiah Everett, 1861-62; Wm. Yeoman, 1863-64; Josiah Everett, Jr., 1866; John Gilchrist (appointed), 1866; Wm. Yoeman, 1867-70.

Union Prairie--John Goodykoontz, 1861-63; G. P. Eells, 1864-66; A. L. Grippen, 1867; John Goodykoontz, 1868; A. J. Eells, 1869; G. P. Eells, 1870.

Waterloo--A. Schwartzhoff, 1861-62; T. C. Smith, 1863-66; S. H. Haines (appointed), 1866-70.

During the existence of this system the following named members were each president of the body, in this order:

Moses Hancock, Makee, 1861. Michael Healy, Taylor, 1862 and 63. P. G. Wright, Ludlow, 1864 and 65. C. J. White, Lansing, 1866. D. W. Adams, Makee, 1867, 68 and 69. G. P. Eells, Union Prairie, 1870.

By the change of system in 1870 to that of three supervisors, now in vogue, the new Board was to organize in January, 1871, since when it has been composed of the following:

1871--Thomas H. Barnes, Chairman, Gustav Kerndt, Selden Candee.

1872--T. H. Barnes, Chairman, G. Kerndt, T. C. Smith. In June Mr. Kerndt tendered his resignation on account of poor health, and Abner Wood was appointed to fill the vacancy.

1873--T. H. Barnes, Chairman, T. C. Smith, Martin Moore.

1874--T. C. Smith, Chairman, H. S. Cooper, Martin Moore.

1875--Martin Moore, Chairman, H. S. Cooper, Henry Bensch.

1876--H. S. Cooper, Chairman, Henry Bensch, Robt. Crawford.

1877--Henry Bensch, Chairman, Robert Crawford, Joseph Schwartzhoff.

1878--Robert Crawford, Chairman, Joseph Schwartzhoff, Gilbert Satrang.

1879--Joseph Schwartzoff, Chairman,
Gilbert Satrang, N. J. Beedy.

1880--Gilbert Satrang, Chairman, N. J. Beedy, E. A. Blum.

1881--N. J. Beedy, chairman, E. A. Blum, Gilbert Satrang.

1882--E. A. Blum, Chairman, G. Satrang, N. J. Beedy.


In the Third General Assembly of the State Legislature, which convened at Iowa City, December 2, 1850, and adjourned Feb. 5, 1851, Dubuque, Clayton, Delaware, Buchanan, Black Hawk, Winneshiek and Allamakee, forming one Senatorial District, were represented by John G. Shields and Warner Lewis, of whom the latter was elected in 1850 for four years.

In the Senate of the Fourth General Assembly, 1852-3, Dubuque, Delaware, Buchanan, Black Hawk, Grundy, Butler, Bremer, Clayton, Fayette, Allamakee, Winneshiek, Howard, Mitchell, Floyd, and Chickasaw, were represented by John G. Shields, Warner Lewis, and Maturin L. Fisher.

Fifth General Assembly, 1854-5, the district was composed of the same counties, represented by Wm. W. Hamilton, Maturin L. Fisher, and John G. Shields.

1856-57, Sixth General Assembly, Allamakee, Winneshiek, Howard, Chickasaw, Mitchell, Floyd, Worth, Cerro Gordo, Hancock, Winnebago, Bancroft, and Kossuth, composed the Thirty-Fourth Senatorial District, whose Senator was Jeremiah T. Atkins, of Winneshiek.

1858-9, the same.

1860-2, Allamakee and Winneshiek composed the 39th Senatorial District, and were represented in that body by George W. Gray, the first State Senator from this county, during the Eighth and Ninth General Assemblies.

1864--Jan. 11 to March 8--Tenth General Assembly, Allamakee was the 40th District, Senator Geo. W. Gray.

1866--Jan. 8 to April 3, Eleventh General Assembly, this was the 41st District, Charles Paulk, elected to fill the vacancy.

1867 to 1871--12th and 13th General Assemblies, L. E. Fellows.

1871 to 1879--14th, 15th, 16th, 17th General Assemblies, Samuel H. Kinne.

1879-82--18th and 19th General Assemblies, H. Nielander, the present incumbent.


In the Third General assembly, 1850-51, Clayton, Fayette, Winneshiek and Allamakee were represented by Eliphalet Price.

In the Fourth General Assembly, 1852--53, Clayton, Fayette, Winneshiek, Allamakee, Howard, Mitchell, Floyd and Chickasaw, were represented by Edwin Montgomery and John Garber.

In the Fifth General Assembly, 1854-56, first district, composed of Allamakee and Winneshiek, James D. McKay, of the latter county.

In 1856-57, Sixth General Assembly, Allamakee was the forty-fifth district, represented by James Bryson, the first member of the House from this county.

In 1858, January 11th to March 23, Seventh General Assembly, this was the First district again, and our member Geo. W. Gray.

In 1860--61, two sessions Eighth General Assembly, Allamakee, Fifty-sixth District, Chas. Paulk.

In 1862, two sessions Ninth General Assembly, Allamakee the Fifty-first District, represented by Joseph Burton.

In 1864, January 11th to March 29th, Tenth General Assembly, the Fiftieth District, Chas. Paulk again.

In 1866, January 8th to April 3d, Eleventh General Assembly, two representatives, P. G. right and L. E. Fellows.

In 1868, Twelfth General Assembly, Pierce G. Wright and Geo. R. Miller.

In 1870--Thirtheenth--Allamakee, 52d District, P. G. Wright and D. Dickerson.

In 1872--Fourteenth General General Assembly, Henry Dayton and Andrew Landry.

1874--Fifteenth--Allamakee, the 60th District, Henry Dayton.

1876--Sixteenth--Luther Brown.

1878--Seventeenth--Benjamin Ratcliffe.

1880--Eighteenth--Allamakee, the 64th District, Thos. H. Barnes.

1882--Nineteenth General Assembly, W. C. Earle.

District Court.

Judges--1847 to 1882--Second Judicial District, State of Iowa, after this county was added in 1847, comprised the counties of Buchanan, Cedar, Clayton, Clinton, Delaware, Dubuque, Fayette, Jackson, Jones, Muscatine, Scott, Allamakee and Winneshiek. Judge James Grand, commissioned November 15, 1847, to May 8, 1852, when Judge Thomas S. Wilson qualified, who remained Judge of this District till after Allamakee was withdrawn to help form the---

Tenth Judicial District, created in 1855, comprised of Allamakee, Cerro Gordo, Chickasaw, Clayton, Fayette, Floyd, Howard, Mitchell, Winneshiek and Worth. Judge Samuel Murdock, of Clayton county, 1855 to 1858. With the exception of Cerro Gordo and Worth, and the addition of Bremer and Butler, this territory became the Tenth Judicial District under the present constitution in 1858. Fayette County was elected in 1866. The counties of Bremer, Butler, Floyd and Mitchell were detached in 1864, but remained connected with this district (except for election purposes) until January 1865. Judge McGlathery served from 1867 to 1874 inclusive. Judge Reuben Noble 1875 to November 1879, when he resigned and the Governor appointed in his stead Ezekiel E. Cooley, who was elected at the general election in 1880, and is still upon the bench.

District Attorneys, 1858 to 1882. --At the October election 1858, Milo McGlathery was elected Prosecuting Attorney for the Tenth Judicial District, and re-elected I 1862. In 1866 L. O. Hatch was elected to this position, but resigned in1868, and Charles T. Granger was appointed his successor. At the general election in 1869 Mr. Granger was chosen to continue in the position, to fill out the unexpired portion of the term until the close of 1870, and at the election of that year he was re-elected. In 1872 he was elected Circuit Judge, thus creating a vacancy in the office of District Attorney, which was filled by the appointment of Orlando J. Clark, and the appointment was ratified at the next general election, in 1873. In 1874 Mr. Clark was re-elected for the full term, and at the close of the year 1878 was succeeded by the present incumbent, Cyrus Wellington.


The Circuit Court was established by act of Legislature in 1868. Each Judicial District in the State was by the act divided into two circuits, in each of which, at the general election in November 1868, a Circuit Judge was elected for four years. In this, the First Circuit of the Tenth Judicial District, comprising Allamakee, Winneskiek and Howard, Martin V. Burdick was elected Judge; and in the Second Circuit Benjamin T. Hunt. The division into two circuits was found unnecessary, and the two were consolidated. The Circuit Court has concurrent jurisdiction with The District Court, except as to criminal business, and has exclusive jurisdiction as to probate matters. In 1872 Charles T. Granger was elected to succeed Judge Burdick, and by re-election in 1876 and again in 1880 is the present incumbent.


Return to index of this book

Go to Allamakee Co. index page