1984 Adams County History Book
Lincoln Center Methodist Church, near the center of Lincoln Twp.,
was organized in 1870 by Rev. Wm. T. Smith. The church was organized in a school
house that stood in what is now Lincoln Center cemetery. In 1878 a new school house
was built one half mile east of the cemetery, on a lot where the Lincoln Center school
house now stands. Church and Sunday School were held there until the present church
building was erected, in the fall of 1890.
In the 1890's S.F. Davis built a general store one fourth mile north of Lincoln Center. A Post Office was put in the store and the community was named Hayes. On the second story of the store the lodges of the Woodman of the World and Modern Woodman held regular meetings for years.
The groceries and mail was brought from the town of Cumberland by a Star Route mail service to both Briscoe and Hayes. Mr. Charles Seaman was the mail carrier. Mrs. Davis operated a telephone switchboard with several party lines from a house just north of the store. Just north of the Davis house Charles Sullivan put up a blacksmith shop. North of Lincoln Center one half mile, Henry Fleharty operated a cheese factory.