GREENFIELD TOWNSHIP AND CITY. The territory which now comprises Greenfield township is found in sections 7, 8, 17, 18, 19 and 20 of township 75, range 31. This subdivision was organized in 1859, and originally constituted the territory now known as Greenfield, Lee and Orient townships. Orient township was the first to assert an independence from the original body, which occurred June 7, 1869. It was then organized as Dayton township, but was afterward changed, at the will of its citizens, to its present name. Lee township followed likewise in the steps of its predecessor— Orient—in the fall of 1880, so that but the foregoing-named sections remain to what was once the large territory known as Greenfield township. This now independent subdivision is bounded upon the north, east and south by Lee township, and on the west by Summerset township. As this territory lies almost entirely upon what is known as the great water-shed of the Mississippi and Missouri rivers, it is only traversed by a few small brooks which rise in its eastern borders. The Creston and Fontanelle branch of the C, B. & Q. railroad enters its borders at the center of the western line of section 19, and takes a rather zig-zag course through section 18, passing into Summerset township from the latter section about a mile north of where it enters the township on section 19.
EARLY SETTLEMENT. The first to make a settlement within the limits of what is now Greenfield township were two parties by the names of Hillin and Hodgson, who, in 1854, located upon the southwest quarter of section 7. Here they put up pole cabins, of the most primitive architecture—mere sheds—with no floors, or any conveniences. They were hardly settlers, being of that race, half aboriginal, half squatter, who precede actual settlement. They made no improvements, and in a short time they left the country, and their lands fell into the possession of Milton Munger.
The next to make a settlement was S. K. Maliery, who had made some improvements and broken some land when the town of Greenfield was laid out. Among the other old settlers of this part of the county may be mentioned also J. Myers, Mathew Clark, and A. P. Littleton.
A. P. Littleton opened the first store in the town, in the first building which was erected in Greenfield. This was a small structure, built of planks, and had been used as the stage station. In June, 1859, he put in a small stock of general merchandise in a front room. In the fall of the same year he removed to a small building which had been erected on the lot, on the east side of the square, where Gray & Martin's land office now stands. This building was some time afterwards removed to near the hotel, and here Mr. Littleton ran his store until 1868, when he built a new building on the same lot, and in this continued until 1878. In December of that year he sold the stock of goods to A. P. Stephens & Company, who ran it until March, 1883, when it passed into the hands of the present proprietors, Fuller, Warren & Company. Mr. Littleton still owns the building.
The fourth place of business was opened by Hutchinson Brothers, in 1873, in a small building, erected by C. P. Gilbert, which is now the rear part of Teague’s drug store. They had a general stock of goods, in which common lines of dry goods predominated. In 1878, A. P. Stephens purchased the Littleton store, and carried a stock of dry goods and general merchandise, which was placed under the management of S. M. Shattuck, now county treasurer. The latter gentleman afterward became a member of the firm, but in March, 1883, the present firm of Fuller, Warren & Co. succeeded to the business. They carry a well assorted and selected stock of about fifteen thousand dollars, and being young men, full of enterprise and business ability, are doing an immense trade.
Edward E. Warren, of the firm of Fuller, Warren & Co., general merchants, was born in Henry county, Iowa, March 30, 1862. He was there reared, and received his education in the county, at the academy of New London. In 1876 he accepted a position at clerking in New London, which he held for two years, when he went to Rome, Iowa, and held a similar position for one year. He then came to this city, where he was at first a clerk with Mr. A. P. Stephens. After two years’ service for Mr. Stephens at Greenfield, he was transferred to the store, run by the same gentleman, at Creston. He stayed at Creston two years, and then returned to Greenfield, and became a partner in the firm of which he is now a member. Mr. Warren has good social and business qualifications, and stands high in the community.
Among the houses engaged in the disposal of dry goods, clothing, groceries, boots and shoes and notions, is that of Krabiel Brothers. This concern was instituted in March, 1879, by I. B. Krabiel, opening in the Heatou building, but in 1881 he removed to his own brick store. The present firm was formed in August, 1883, by the admission of his brother Charles A. Krabiel to a partnership. Their store is 22x60 feet in size, and they carry about five thousand dollars’ worth of goods.
Homer Gaines, the largest dealer in dry goods, clothing, groceries and general merchandise in Greenfield, is the legitimate successor of the firm of Gaines & Robinson, founded in May, 1881. At that time they were doing business on the public square, but in February, 1883, they removed to their present location. In May following, Mr. Robinson retiring, the business fell into the hands of Mr. Gaines, who has operated it ever since. He has by far, the finest store-room in the county, it being a large double one, 40x66 feet in size, well lighted, and fitted up in excellent taste, and with due regard for the ease and comfort of his patrons and salesmen. He carries a well-selected stock of about fifteen thousand dollars, and is doing a fine business. Homer Gaines was born in Austenburg, Ashtabula county, Ohio, on the 26th of July, 1838, and is the son of Austen and Henrietta (Olmsted) Gaines. His father was a wheelright, but in later life followed farming. In 1840 the elder Mr. Gaines moved with his family to Knox county, Illinois, where he lived for many years. He is the son of Samuel and Esther (Blakesly) Gaines, and grandson of Samuel Gaines, Sr. At the age of seventeen Homer commenced teaching school, having gained his knowledge under adverse circumstances that would have tried any less persevering mortal. For ten years he thus taught in the winter, and in the summer worked on the farm. On the 29th of October, 1861, he was united in marriage with Miss Martha A. Boyer, but leaving his young wife, home and friends, at his country’s call, he enlisted for three months in the 138th Illinois infantry, under Colonel Goodwin, and was made first lieutenant of Company B, of that regiment. On his return to private life he engaged in the mercantile trade in Victoria, Knox county, Illinois, with C. S. Clark, under the name and style of Gaines & Clark. But his popularity and reputation for strict integrity, induced the people of that county to elevate him to a position of responsibility and he was elected treasurer of Knox county in 1867. This position he filled most acceptably for two years, and at the same time read law under Judge A. M. Craig, Mr. Gaines having moved to Knoxville, the county seat, on his election. He was admitted to the bar in 1869, and forming a law partnership with Z. Cooley, Esq., carried on business in that place. After about two years, Mr. Gaines returned to Victoria where he again embarked in the mercantile business and practiced his profession as a lawyer. He was called on to fill nearly all the offices of trust in that country, until December, 1881, when he came to Greenfield, and has resided here permanently ever since. He is now engaged in the general merchandise business, a history of which has been given above. Since 1861 he has been a prominent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and at the conference of the central Illinois district, held in 1876, Mr. Gaines was elected a local preacher, and occupies the same position at this place. Mr. Gaines is the father of six boys, viz—Franklin Howard, Richard Judson, Arthur Austen, Harley, Daniel Webster and Robert Homer.
George W. Tool & Co. opened in the dry goods business here in February, 1883, and continue to run it yet. About $10,000 worth of stock is carried by them. Runyan and Co. is a firm composed of H. Runyan and Pierce S. Metz, and who started in business here on the first of March, 1884. They carry a stock of dry goods, etc., and, for a new house, are doing a fine trade.
The second place of business in the town was that of C. P. Gilbert, who opened a drug and grocery store in the spring of 1869. This he continued until the autumn of 1873, when he disposed of it to Hutchinson brothers, on account of ill health, and removed to his former eastern home, but returned to this county later, and is now a resident of Lee township.
A. E. Teague, dealer in drugs, medicines, books, stationery, wall paper, etc., is the successor of A. S. Carmichael, having come into possession of the stand in May, 1879. The store was at that time located upon the south side of the square, but in the fall of 1880 he removed to his present location. His store room is 20x56 feet in ground area with a wareroom in the rear. He carries a fine stock of the various goods in his line, that will invoice between 13,500 and 14,000, and has a most excellent patronage. A. B. Teague, the druggist, is a native of Androscoggin county, Maine, and was born February 28, 1854. He spent his boyhood days there, and received his education in his native county. When seventeen years of age he took a position as clerk in a drug store at Auburn, Maine, which he held for three years. He then went to Englewood, Illinois, and after remaining one year, returned to Maine and took his old position, which he held this time for two years. He attended the Massachusetts college of pharmacy at Boston, Massachusetts, in 1876 and ‘77, and in March of the latter year came to Atlantic, this state, clerking for Findley & Gary, druggists. In 1877 he entered into the partnership of Jones & Teague, in that city. In February, 1879, he went to Leadville, Colorado, but after staying six weeks, returned to Iowa and located in Greenfield, establishing his present business. He is now mayor of the city. He was married November 23, 1875, to Miss Ella B. Smith, daughter of A. M. Smith, of this city. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., and at present is the district deputy grand master of district No. 11, and the C. P. of Garfield encampment, No. 110. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W.
In 1880 C. D. Knapp purchased the stock and good will of the drug establishment of Morrow and McNay, and in the fall of 1883 removed to his present location. This store-room is 22x66 feet in size with a warehouse in the rear, and Mr. Knapp carries about $3,500 worth of firstclass drugs, medicines, paints, oils and fancy goods. The place of business is tastily and conveniently fitted up, and is invitingly neat and city like in all its appointments. Mr. 0, D. Knapp, the druggist, is one of the live business men of Greenfield. He was born in Danbury, Connecticut, December 26, 1832. When he was two years of age the family removed to Wyoming county. New York, staying there eight years, and then going to Henry county, Illinois, where he received his preliminary education. The war found him engaged in farming, but he was not deaf to the appeals of his country for men to assist in putting down the rebellion, and in 1862 he enlisted in Company D, 112th Illinois, and served till the close of the war. At the battle of Kelley’s Ford, in 1864, he was wounded and taken prisoner, but after an enforced residence of four months in the Confederacy he managed to make his escape. On reaching the Union lines he was placed on hospital duty at Louisville, Kentucky, St. Louis, Missouri, and Quincy, Illinois. While in this capacity he improved the excellent opportunity offered him to study medicine. He attended Rush medical college, Chicago, in 1866 and 1867, and after graduating went to San Jose, Illinois, where he practiced till 1874. His health failing, the result of his army exposures, he gave up practice. He then traveled through the West, locating for short periods in different places, coming to Greenfield in 1880. He is a member of the city council and school board. He was married, November. 7, 1878, to Mrs. Ella C. McKelvey, a native of Pennsylvania. They have had two children—Myrtle and Mabel, now dead. Mr. Knapp is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. and Encampment, and is commander of the G. A. R. Post of Greenfield.
The drug business now in the hands of A. J. Howe & Co. was originated in 1881 by 0. T. Mayer. On the 6th of February, 1884, the present firm succeeded him. They occupy a fine store-room, 20x50 feet in dimension, and carry a stock of about $2,000 worth of drugs, medicines, etc. Richard Wallace began business in July, 1874, in the hardware and agricultural line, which he is still running, carrying the largest stock in this department of trade in the town. This firm was established as Rust & Wallace, and so continued until 1881, when Mr. Rust retired and removed to Louisa county. The hardware establishment of Robert Bruce was instituted by J. H. Kealing, in 1878, and shortly after its initiation Mr. Bruce became a partner. In January, 1879, the latter purchased the interest of his partner and has operated it ever since. One of Greenfield’s most enterprising merchants, is W. B. Burget, who is engaged in the furniture business, on the north side of the square. This business he established in August, 1875, in what is now the skating rink, and in January, 1883, removed to his present location, which was erected the fall before. This building is 22x60, two stories high, and built of brick, and both floors are filled with as good a stock of furniture, both fine and common, as is often met with outside of the large cities. Mr. Burget carries a stock of about $5,000, and is doing the best business in his line in the county. He has also an undertaking department, well supplied with every necessary in this line. W. B. Burget, the furniture dealer and undertaker, is a native of Douglas county, Illinois, and was born January 29, 1850. He was reared and educated in his native county. He commenced the dry goods business in Tuscola, Illinois, in 1871, and continued the same in that city and Newman, Illinois, till January, 1875, when he came to Iowa, locating in Greenfield. He was married April 28, 1878, to Miss Alfretta Myers, who is a native of the state of Ohio. They have two children—Maude E., and Willis H. Mr. Burget is a member of the Masonic order. J. A. Burrell & Co., established their present business on the 1st of January, 1884. Perry & Huston are also engaged in the grocery business, into which they entered in the fall of 1881. They carry a stock of $2,000, and have a living trade.
Wilson Brothers, who are engaged in the disposal of large quantities of groceries, flour, crockery, and other things in that line, established their business at this point on the 18th of April, 1883, and are doing a good business. In November, 1879, a grocery store was started by Sharp & Burke, and ten months later it passed into the hands of Townsend Sharp, one of the partners, who has run it ever since. He carries a good stock of goods that will invoice, probably, fifteen to eighteen hundred dollars.
A. J. Gibbs is engaged in the grocery business. In the spring of 1878, J. C. Gibbs started a store with a general stock, which he ran until the autumn of the same year, when the firm became J. 0. Gibbs & Co., but after one year, A. J. Gibbs came into the grocery part of it and has operated it ever since.
Myers & Myers, lumber dealers, established their business here in 1881, by purchasing some stock of S. M. Pasley near the depot and moving it to its present location. They carry on a good business, having a stock of about $4,000 worth of various building materials, and are the live lumber merchants of Greenfield.
J. J. Myers, of the lumber firm of Myers & Myers, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, June 13, 1844, his parents being Isaac S. and Elizabeth (Vance) Myers, natives of Virginia. His father died in 1869, in Greenfield, Adair county, Iowa, where his mother still resides. J. J. Myers came to Iowa with his parents when he was about fourteen years of age, and located in Greenfield, Adair county, engaging in farming and stock-raising near town. He was married in 1877, in Greenfield, to Dotha A. Mears. They have two children—Clare and Hal. He enlisted in Company D, 29th Iowa infantry in December, 1864, and served to the close of the war. He took part in the siege of Spanish Fort and Fort Blakeley. He is a republican in politics, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity and also of the G. A. R.
Hamilton R. Myers, the other member of the firm of Myers & Myers, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, April 1, 1847, and is the son of Isaac S. and Elizabeth (Vance) Myers. With his parents he came to Greenfield in 1858, prior to which time he was engaged with his father in farming and stock-raising. About three years after coming to Greenfield he engaged in the lumber, business with his brother. His father is dead, and he resides with his mother in Greenfield, being a single man. They have a farm of fifty five acres adjoining the city on the west. The farm originally contained eighty acres, but several additions were made from it to the city. The farm is mostly seeded to grass for pasture purposes, and has on it good building improvements, fruit, shubbery, etc. They also own considerable town property. Hamilton is a member of the A. F. and A. M., and in politics is a republican.
Shreeves & Gibbs are engaged in the lumber business. They are the successors to Haskins & Co., who were the proprietors of the first yard established in the city. It came into the possession of the present owners by purchase, in November, 1883.
Joseph D. Williams established his present boot and shoe business on the 13th of July, 1878, and carries a stock of about $2,000 worth of foot-gear.
Henry Taylor is engaged in the manufacture, sale and repairing of boots and shoes, which business he established on the 15th of November, 1879. He carries a stock of about $2,500, and is doing a good business. He is the successor of a firm which was started by J. W. Oonklin, but which passed through several changes before it came into his hands.
Goodman & Cole began business here in the notion line in November, 1881, on the south side of the square. In February the business became the sole property of Joseph Cole, who is at present running it.
L. 0. Carr, the Jeweler of Greenfield, opened his establishment in July, 1877, and carries about $1,800 worth of stock in his line, being the largest in the county.
Leeper Brothers established their present business in the book, stationery, news and notion line in September, 1880, in the building now occupied by them. They sell organs, pianos, and sewing machines, besides their regular lines, and are the proprietors of the only circulating library in the city. William J. Leeper, of the firm of Leeper Brothers, is a native of Guernsey county, Ohio, and was born July 15, 1849. He resided there until 1866 when the family came to Iowa, locating on a farm in Jasper county. In 1880 he came to Greenfield and at once engaged in the present business. His parents are of Scotch-Irish descent, their names being John and Jeannette (McCartney) Leeper. He is a member of the U. P. church, and a respected merchant of Greenfield. Joseph W. Leeper, the other member of the book and stationery firm of Leeper Brothers, was born November 27,1854. He also engaged in tilling the soil on the land of his parents until coming to Greenfield to go into business. He was married July 9, 1877, to Miss Lou Blattenburg, a native of West Virginia. Both gentlemen have built for themselves an enviable name in Greenfield.
In 1863 John J. Hetherington established a real-estate, loan, and abstract office, which was operated from 1865 to 1876, by Hetherington & Taylor. For the two succeeding years, to the latter date, Mr. Hetherington operated it alone, but in 1878, the firm became Hetherington & Brown, and in July, 1880, W. B. McCollom, purchasing the interest of Mr. Brown, the present firm of Hetherington & McCollom was formed. This is one of the old stand-by firms, and they are doing an immense business in their line. As both of these gentlemen have filled official positions, they are noticed in that connection.
Brown, Andrews, & Freeman, the present representatives of one of the oldest land, loan, law, and abstract offices in the county, occupy the northeast corner of the “ square.” This stand was established originally at Fontanelle, in 1857, by G. F. Kilburn, but in 1875, it was removed to Greenfield, and passed into the hands of Robinson & Robinson. They were succeeded, in 1882, by Brown & Andrews, and in July, 1884, the new firm was formed by the admission “of W. L. Freeman to a full partnership. They have the old abstracts of the original firm in their possession. Messrs. Brown and Andrews having both been identified with the bar of Adair county, their sketches are given in the chapter relating thereunto. The real-estate, loan and law business of Easton and Hinkson was originated in September, 1883, by the present firm. F. O. Hinkson, a thorough attorney, attends to the legal business, and John A. Easton to the land and loan department. Mr. Easton having filled an official position, and Mr. Hinkson being a practicing attorney, are noticed at length under those respective heads. The abstract and real-estate business, now represented by C. W. Farwell was originated in 1874, by P. M. Brown, who were succeeded by Brown & Pratt. These, in turn, gave place to Brown & Andrews. After a short time it passed into the hands of Balderson & Andrews, then to Balderson & Cochrane, the latter firm being succeeded in February, 1883, by 0. W. Parwell.
The real-estate, loan and abstract business of Martin & Gray was initiated in January, 1878, by W. B. Martin. In October of the same year, the present firm was organized by the admission of L. J. Gray, and has continued ever since.Mr. Martin was the successor of Ruth Brothers, who came here in 1876 and established the house. Both these gentlemen having had the good fortune to fill official positions in the county, the reader is referred to the chapter on National, State and County Representation in this volume, for their biographical sketches.
The first blacksmith was H. W. Blakeley, who erected a building directly opposite and west of where the Citizen’s bank now stands, in 1859. Here he ran his forge for several years. This line of mechanical trade is, at present, represented by the following named : Franklin Letts, Henry Minert, and J. 0. Vandivier. The pioneer wagonmaker was Caleb Lyon, who had his shop in the same building with W, H. Blakeley, the blacksmith.
Henry Boormaster, in an early day, opened a shop in a part of what is now the Kirkwood house, for the repair and manufacture of shoes, and was the first in this line of trade. From this small beginning has grown the two excellent shoe stores that the town now boasts of, and which are run by Joseph D. Williams and Henry Taylor, respectively.
In 1870 Charles Bishop established the first harness shop in the town, and which was the third place of business in Greenfield. This line of trade is now represented by A. M. Smith, under the name of A. E. Teague.
The Adair county bank, the oldest one in the county, was established by D. Heaton & Co., on the 6th of January, 1876, they having erected a building for the purpose in the September previous. The same firm are the owners of it still. A general banking business is transacted, collections being made a specialty. Their place of business is on the north side of the square, in their own building, a neat frame two-story edifice, 20x36 feet, ground area. The office is fitted up in good style and contains a good vault.
Daniel Heaton, who is at the head of the Adair county bank, was born in Greene county, Pennsylvania, May 10, 1842, and there was reared and received his education. In 1860 he went to Douglas county, Illinois, and engaged in farming and stock-raising, besides devoting his attention to the agricultural implement trade. In the fall of 1875 he came to Greenfield, and commenced at once the erection of his bank building. This was quickly pushed to completion, and in January, 1876, he commenced the business which has assumed so large proportions since that time. He is the patentee of the Heaton bank-note case. He was married April 29, 1869, to Miss Ella M. Hoover, a native of Indiana. They have two children—Effie M. and William E. Mr. Heaton is a member of the I. O. O. F. and Encampment, and of the Masonic order; also of the Chapter and Oommandery. He is one of the leading business men of Adair county.
The Citizens’ Bank of Greenfield was organized on the 2d of January, 1880, with 0. D. Bevington as president, A. P. Littleton, cashier, and John J. Hetherington, assistant cashier. This is a private banking company, doing business under the laws of the state of Iowa, and does a general bank business; receives deposits, discounts notes, buys and sells exchange, having correspondents in New York, Chicago, St. Louis, and Des Moines. The officers still remain as at the date of the institution of the bank.
A. P. Littleton, cashier of the Citizens’ Band, and one of the most enterprising and prominent citizens of Adair county, is a native of Fayette county, Ohio, and was born March 23, 1836. His parents, Thomas and Eliza (Pancoast) Littleton, were natives of Ross county, Ohio. They reared two children, A. P. being the youngest. He was raised on a farm and educated in his native county. His father died in 1844, and his mother in 1850, after which time he lived on a farm with an uncle till twenty-one years of age, when he engaged in mercantile business at Waterloo, Ohio, following the same for two years. In the fall of 1858 he came to Fairfield, Iowa, and spent his time between that point and Burlington, up to June, 1859, when he came to Greenfield, and started the first store at this point. He continued the same until the fall of 1878, and in January, 1880, he engaged in his present business of banking. He is quite prominent in politics, and has been honored by offices a number of times. He was a member of the board of supervisors several times, being one of the first members of the board under the new system of three, and was the first mayor of Greenfield, which office he held for five consecutive years, and was also the mayor in 1883. Mr. Littleton was married on the 28th day of September, 1859, to Miss Kate Myers, a native of Ohio, and has one child—Verner. He is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. of Greenfield.
HOTELS. In 1858 a hotel was erected in Greenfield by Mathew Clark, and as this town then was an important station on the route to California, and then and subsequently a convenient stage station on the lines of travel into Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri, this hotel was quite an institution. Mr. Olark ran it until the spring of 1861, when he traded it off to A. D. and A. P. Littleton. Mr. Clark left this section in 1863 and moved to Colorado. The Messrs. Littleton ran it a very short time when they disposed of it to John Shreeves, who was the genial landlord thereof for several years. It then passed through the hands of several parties, the last of whom was N. 0. Eaton, and under its present name of Kirkwood House is owned by Mrs. Eliza Hall, and operated at present by E. R. Olmsted. This hotel is one of the old landmarks of the town and is constructed, for the most part, of native lumber.There is another hotel, known by the name of the Wilson House, which was erected during the latter part of the year 1883, that is operated by Mr. Wilson, the owner.
MILLS. In 1877 a grist-mill was put up, which was operated by an old-fashioned wind-mill. This stood nearly opposite to where A. P. Littleton’s residence stands. The sails of the mill could be seen gleaming white from a long distance around. The thing was a complete failure, and the community, who had subscribed a thousand dollars toward its erection, were out just that much. It was afterwards sold at sheriff’s sale, and purchased by A. P. Littleton, who tore it down, and but a few ruins now mark the spot whereon it stood. The new steam grist-mill is owned by J. R. Kearney, who commenced the erection on the 1st of April, 1884. It is 36x40 feet in ground area, three stories high, and has three run of buhrs, with a daily capacity of producing fifty barrels of flour, and grinding some three hundred bushels of corn. It is to commence operation in the first week of September, 1884, and is the only mill in this vicinity. It is a model in its way, of what a good mill should be, and cost, completed and equipped, some $8,000.
ELEVATOR. The Greenfield steam elevator was built in the spring of 1879, at a cost of $4,000. It is 24x48 feet in ground area, and three stories high. Improvements were made in 1881, such as adding corn cribs, engine and necessary machinery, until the present cost of the whole plant is about $6,000, It is equipped with all modern machinery and improvements for the transaction of business, and is a model in its way. It was built by the present proprietors, Scholes Brothers, and has a capacity of 12,000 bushels of grain in its bins. The corn cribs in connection are dump cribs, and are connected with the elevator by a drag belt to the corn sheller, which has a capacity of shelling 5,000 bushels per day. This is the only elevator in the town.
Walter Scholes, of the firm of Scholes Brothers, is a native of Marshall county, Illinois, and was born August 18, 1851, His parents were George and Lala (Wilmot) Scholes. His father is a native of England, and his mother of New York state, and they are now living in Marshall county, Illinois. On leaving Illinois Walter came direct to Greenfield, locating here in December, 1878. He went back to Illinois in June, 1879, and there married Miss Rebecca Lowden, the Reverend William Tracy officiating at the ceremony. They have one child, whose name is Jay W. Mr. Scholes is a member of the Masonic order, and in politics is affiliated with the republican party.
William Scholes is a brother of Walter, and is the other member of the firm of Scholes Brothers. He came to Iowa at the same time, and his fortunes have been closely identified with those of his brother. He was married in January, 1882, in Greenfield to Miss Lilian A. Gibbs, Reverend J. F. Martin officiating at the ceremony which united them. They have one child —Walter Lyle. Mr. Scholes is also a member of the Masonic order, and in politics is strongly republican.
LITTLE JAY CREAMERY. Among the leading industries of the town of Greenfield is the creamery with the above title. This was established as a dairy in September, 1883, at which time the building was completed. It is a basement structure, 24x30 feet in size, but it is so arranged that an upper story can be added if business warrants it. The dairy business was carried on until May, 1884, when it was merged into a creamery. It is owned and operated by J. W. Darby. He churns on an average four hundred pounds of butter per day, and has the capacity of doubling that if needful. The product of this creamery is of a first-class quality and always brings top prices.
The skating-rink was opened by W. B. Burget, the owner of the building, in November, 1884, and is still in active running order.
John 0. Mason, who now holds the position of justice of the peace in Greenfield, and is one of the town’s most influential citizens, is a native of Bradford county, Pennsylvania, and was born March 4, 1843. When he was nine years of age the family removed to Iowa, locating in Linn county. He was there reared, and received a portion of his schooling, attending also one year, terms of 1860 and ‘61, at Cornell college, Mt. Vernon. In August, 1861, he enlisted in Company A, 13th Iowa infantry, which was assigned to duty in the army of the Tennessee. He served till the close of the war, and was discharged July 1, 1865, when he returned to Linn county, this state, and engaged in farming. In the spring of 1873 he came to Adair county, locating on section 12, Harrison township, where he farmed two years. He then came to Greenfield and engaged in the grain business, which he continued till 1882. He was elected justice of the peace in 1880, and has since held the office without interruption; he is also a member of the city school board. He was sergeant-at-arms of the Iowa state senate, in the twentieth general assembly. He is a member and the present quartermaster of the G. A. R. He was married May 3, 1867, to Miss Susan Myers, a native of Pennsylvania. They have five children—Maria, Kate L., Gertrude E., George A. and John B. Mr. Mason bears scars as the mementoes of his part in the civil war, he having been wounded at Shiloh, lying at the hospital in St. Louis under the care of sisters of charity for sixty days. He is a member of the Masonic order.
Among the other business houses not noted at length in the above history are the following: A. W. Blakeslee, dentist. F. M. Brown, express agent. Mrs. Mary Carr, milliner. Perry E, Clouse, marble dealer. J. W, Darby, butter and egg dealer. E. P. Paris, coal. S. L. Hanna, tailor. Patterson & Petty, livery. W. Holiday, live stock. Frank Johnston, live stock. Joseph Johnston, live stock. J. M. Kennedy, livery. Franklin Letts, blacksmith. D. A. Patterson, stock. Andrew Pierson, barber. G. T. Porter, barber. D. W. Randolph & Co., meat market, Reynolds, photographs. A. Rivenburg, lightning rods. W, M. Rodgers, real estate. Thos. Salisbury, livery. James W. Valentine, baker. Geo. Brand, barbed fence factory. Mistresses Howard & Black, millinery and dressmaking. Howard & Hiskey, clothing and gents’ furnishing goods.
FIRST ITEMS. The first house erected in Greenfield was built by Mathew Clark, for a stage station, in the year 1856. It was built of plank. The first religious services were held at the house of S. K. Mallery, in the winter of 1858, by Rev. J. M. Rush, of Lewis, who was a clergyman of the Methodist denomination.
INCORPORATION. In accordance with a petition signed by fifty of the leading citizens of Greenfield, and dated April 27, 1876, an election was ordered to be held for the purpose of submitting to the qualified electors of the village, the question of incorporating the town under the laws of the state. The notice for this election was signed by S. C. Vance, E. Spooner, W. M. Rodgers, Richard Wallace and T. M. Neville, commissioners, and the time set for the election was May 22, 1876. On the day set S. C. Vance, W. M. Rodgers and R, Wallace acted as judges, and Thomas W. Neville and J. McDermid as clerks of the election, and it being found that there were one hundred and one ballots cast in favor of the incorporation and only five against it, it was declared that the following territory was duly incorporated under the title of the town of Greenfield: the south half of section 7, together with the north ten acres of the northeast quarter of the northwest quarter of section 18, all in township 75, range 31. The first officers of the town were the following mentioned: A. P. Littleton, mayor; L. E. Wilson, clerk; S. C. Vance, Charles Burrell, J. A. Myers, T. J. Shinn and D. Patterson, council.
The present city officials are: A. E. Teague, mayor; W. L. Freeman, recorder; J. E. Andrews, city attorney; J. J. Hetherington, 0. D. Knapp, J. K. Johnston, Robert Bruce, E. R. Olmsted and W. P. Robinson, members of the council.
POST-OFFICE. In regard to the exact date of the establishment of the post-office at Greenfield, there seems to exist some doubt, but the general belief seems to be that it was instituted about 1856. M. Clark was the pioneer postmaster, and had his office in the old plank house used as a stage station. Mr. Clark moved it subsequently to the hotel now known as the Kirkwood. He was succeeded in this office by W. G. Boggs, who removed it to a house that stood on the present site of the Wilson house. A. P. Littleton was the next postmaster, and kept it in his store. He was succeeded by James Waggener, who moved it to the hotel, but in a short time it passed back into the hands of Mr. Littleton, who once more had it in his store. Z. L. Eaton, James Waggener and A. S. Oarmichael in turn occupied the position of dispenser of the mail, until 1881, when Doctor E. Spooner was appointed to the office, and is the present postmaster. This office was made a money order office July 1, 1877, and the first order drawn was issued to Mary Winterburn, of Greenfield, for $1.75, and in favor of J. W. Walker, of St. Louis, Missouri. Few men are more generally known, either personally or by reputation,throughout Adair county than Dr. Spooner. Having come to the county in the early days of its development as a county, and settled in Greenfield, since then its countyseat and chief place of business, and practicing medicine over a large part of the county,- and being connected with its schools and Sunday-schools, and still later .with its politics, and editing the Transcript, the leading paper of the county, his name has become known in every part of it, and he himself personally known to a large number of its citizens. Dr. Spooner was of New England, or Yankee parentage, and was born March 31. 1828, in the south part of Tuscaramas county, Ohio. The place of his nativity was on a stream called Laurel, surrounded by hills known as Laurel hills, both taking their name from the extensive thickets of cherry laurel which covered the hillsides and rocky bluffs for miles on each side of it. It was a wild region, inhabited by a pioneer population, hailing largely from Maryland and Virginia. In process of time some of this population drifted farther west and were replaced by others, coming more largely from Pennsylvania, Educational privileges were poor indeed, and his only means of acquiring anything like an elementary education was home study of such books as he could obtain, with such assistance as he could obtain from his mother who, being one of the heirs of the Hudson estate, had received a somewhat liberal education, as viewed in that day, in the city schools of New York. His father, though an industrious and well-to-do farmer, did not feel able to give his children any higher education than such as they could obtain in the manner described. He was one of eight children, only five of whom (three brothers and two sisters), lived to grow up to manhood and womanhood. Of these, the subject of this sketch was the youngest. When seventeen years of age his mother died, and as his sisters were married some time before this and his brothers soon after, this broke up the family. His father rented the farms and he was thrown upon his own resources. He at once commenced to devote his energies and shape his course toward the accomplishment of his long-cherished purpose— of acquiring a liberal education. He taught several terms of school and in the intervals labored at the joiner’s trade, and with the means thus secured took his course to Oberlin. Here he pursued a course of study under the instruction of such men as President Mahone, Professor Finney, Professor Fairchild, Professor Monroe and Dr. Dascorn. At the close of this course he went with several of his class to study medicine at Cleveland. About this time he received and accepted a call to take charge of an academy in Keene, Ohio, at what, in that day, was considered a very liberal salary. He soon found himself compelled to relinquish it by weakness of the lungs and hemorrhage, which had previously troubled him, and he entered a store, of which, in process of time, he became proprietor, and was quite successful in the business. While thus engaged, on the 28th of July, 1853, he was married to Miss Lucinda Kinney, daughter of John Kinney, of that place. In process of time, two sons, Horace G. and Oassius M. 0. Spooner were added to cement their union, and these constitute the family. Soon after an unfortunate case of bailing stripped them of every vestige of property, and in poor health they were thrown again on their own resources. He resorted to teaching, but failed, as before, and at last resolved to read up and commence the practice of medicine. He reviewed thoroughly under the instructions of Dr. L. F. McPherson and Dr. W. M. Vanhorn, passed a thorough examination by the examiners and censors of the Stillwater medical association, and offered himself for practice. In this, so far as his health would permit, he was quite successful. His first location was in West Bedford, Coshocton county, Ohio, and afterward at Waterford, Knox county, Ohio. From there he removed to Iowa, and located first in Jasper county, where he had friends residing, and afterward at Commerce, in Polk county. Here he and all his family were prostrated with malarial fever, terminating in long continued typhoid. At the same time his horse, a valuable one, was killed on a crossing of the Rock Island road, which, for that reason, the road refused to pay for it, and an old acquaintance to whom he had advanced money proved irresponsible. Friends from near Norwalk, in Warren county, fearing a fatal termination of their illness, removed them to that place, and they abandoned their property and all thought of ever venturing into that locality to live. It was while looking for another location that he first came to Adair county, and afterward, by an arrangement made with W. E. Caton, then county superintendent, he came to this county and delivered the first course of lectures on physiology ever delivered in the county, before afl institute of teachers in Fontanelle. Greenfield at this time was but a small place, but its peculiar location and advantages convinced him that it was destined to be the county seat and a fine, healthy business location, and he accordingly decided to make his home there. He made the necessary arrangements and preparations, and about the first of November, 1873, with only a few dollars in money, and a team of colts, not yet broken to work, he arrived in Greenfield. Winter was approaching and must be provided for, and there were wants to be met. But in the few citizens of the place he found most excellent neighbors and friends. He at once identified himself with the place and its interests, and so far as health and means would permit, did all in his power to advance them. There was at the time but one regularly practicing physician in the county, Dr. P. McDermid, of Fontanelle, and the bulk of the practice of the county was, in time, divided between them. But the population of Greenfield and the surrounding country was so sparse that Dr. Spooner found himself able for some time to devote much of his time to the schools of Greenfield, of which he had the charge, and by practicing morning and evenings, Saturdays and Sundays, and even nights, was enabled to keep up his practice. Finally as the town and country settled up he was compelled to relinquish the schools and devote himself wholly to his practice. In the winter of 1876 and 1877 he had an attack of lung disease which prostrated him from a long time, and in the winter of 1877 and 1878 a second attack which resulted in a consolidation and contraction of the left lung and the tissues about the heart to such an extent as to wholly disable him from physical exertion. Finding his condition likely to remain permanent, he wholly relinquished practice, and purchased the Greenfield Transcript, and has since then devoted himself to editing that paper. Dr. Spooner’s mental processes are logical, and his opinions positive and sharply defined. He holds that no one should ever choose an evil, but of two impending evils they should decide which is the worse, and then use some available means to defeat it. Hence, in politics he decides which party, all things considered, is the worse, and then acts with that party which presents the best prospect of defeating it. Hence, he has never acted with a third or factional party, but always with one of the great parties, without regard to whether he agreed with them on all questions or not. He was always an abolitionist of the most radical kind. He believes in the universality of political and legal rights, without regard to color, race or sex. His first political speech was made at a mass meeting called to protest against the passage of the fugitive slave law. This was followed by others in opposition to the compromises of 1850, and finally, upon the passage of the Kansas-Nebraska bill, he entered freely into politics, and was a delegate to the first republican state convention, held in Columbus, Ohio, on the 13th of July, 1854. As might be expected, he is an out-spoken and active republican, and has been for some years past, the county chairman of that party in Adair county. He has been from childhood, strictly temperate, and an ardent advocate of prohibition. He was a member of the state convention which resolved to submit a prohibitory amendment to the people, and when it was finally submitted, labored for it both editorially and otherwise, and afterward to secure the passage of the present prohibitory laws. He has been from childhood a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, and is constant in his attendance and support. He is and always has been an ardent Sunday-school worker, and allows nothing but ill health or storms to keep him away. He has been for forty years either a teacher or a superintendent. He was for some years a leading member of the Adair County Sunday-school association. He is at present postmaster at Greenfield, which position he has held for three years, and filled satisfactorily. Socially Dr. Spooner is friendly but not familiar, a free talker on matters that interest him, but taking very little interest in the common topics of the streets. He is an incessant reader and a clear, logical thinker. His editorials show an amount of research and a supply of authorities and references at hand not usual to a country editor. When he takes up a subject he leaves no stone unturned until he thoroughly understands and can explain it. The man who calls out his criticism will find his weak points and errors exposed if there are any. Yet he does not allow political differences to lead to personal animosities, nor does he ever, either through his paper or personally, indulge in obscenity or personal abuse. As a neighbor and citizen he is esteemed as orderly, quiet and law abiding. His paper is read in every part of the county, and his positive opinions, often expressed in words more pointed than graceful, have no small influence in molding public opinion.
EDUCATIONAL. The first school taught in the village was held in the winter of 1859, in a room of the same old plank house that had been used as a stage station and store. A. D. Littleton was the teacher of this pioneer school. The first school-house was erected in the summer of 1861, and in this the first teacher was A. L. McPherson. This building was used for the purpose of school for many years, and still answers some purposes, although Greenfield has two very handsome and convenient schoolhouses, one in the north and the other in the south part of town. The old school-house was built when the town was a sub-district of the district township of Greenfield. But, on the 24th of April, 1877, a petition was presented to the board of directors of the district, asking that sections 7, 8, 17, 18, 19 and 20, of Greenfield township, and 12 and 13, of Summerset, be set off and formed into an independent district. This petition was signed by the following gentlemen: A. J. Mears, T. A. Wilson, H. B. Rust, D. A. Coy, A. M. Hutchinson, J. W. Darby, John Burrell, Joseph S. Bartow, John Pegg, E, R. Olmsted, J. J. Myers, S. M, Shattuck, L..A. Smith, L. W. Devine, A. S. Oarmichael, Charles Burrell, G. T. McConnell, M. P. Mills, L. S. Myers, and Judson Morgan. In compliance with this petition, the question was submitted to a vote of the qualified electors of the district, and the election held at Dew’s hall, on Saturday, March 10, 1877, which resulted as follows : For separate organization 43 Against separate organization 9 There being a clear majority of thirty three in favor of the establishment of an independent district, an election was held for the purpose of choosing the officers of the same, on the 24th of March, 1877, at which time the following officers were chosen: S. M. Shattuck, president; A. R. Dew, secretary, D. Heaton, treasurer; S. 0. Vance, John E. Hill, J. T. Harvey, A. Dwigans and J. G. Culver, directors. On the 25th of April, it appearing that A. R. Dew was temporarily absent from the county, J. A. Hetherington was appointed clerk in his stead. By this time the school accommodations had grown so contracted that it became necessary to supplement the room in the school-house by rooms rented in various parts of town. Therefore, the directors ordered that the question of the district issuing bonds to the amount of $5,000, for the purpose of building a school-house of larger capacity, be submitted to the people. This was accordingly done, and at an election, held May 23, 1877, by a vote of forty to ten, the qualified electors ordered the issuing of the bonds. The school-house on the south side of town was built during that summer, therefore, the contract for its erection having been let to Stickel & Baldrick, of Des Moines, who built it after the design furnished by the architect, W. K. Ball, of Oreston. The price was $5,230. Again in 1883, the school facilities growing too contracted for the rising town, the district was again bonded for $6,000 and the new school-house built on the north side of the town in the su mmer of that year. These are both beautiful and convenient edifices, and are something in which the citizens of this thriving town take a just pride in. The teachers are at present: Professor E. T. Simons, principal; M. S. Lehue, first assistant, and Misses Shober, Sargent and Silverthorne, Mrs. Frogley, Mrs. Harmon and Mrs, Morris.
RELIGIOUS MATTERS. Greenfield has four churches, viz: Methodist, Presbyterian, United Presbyterian and Baptist, a history of which may be found in the chapter of church annals in the general history.(to come later)
SOCIETIES. Crusade Lodge, No. 386, A. F. and A. M., located at Greenfield, was organized July 5, 1878, with the following charter members: J. G. Culver, John J. Hetherington, J. T. Harvey, J. E. Howe, D. W. Marquart, J. A. Hetherington, S. M. Shattuck, W. H. Romesha, 0. B. Hunt, R. 0. Brown, W. M. Rodgers, A. J. Mears, R. Wallace, E. R. Olmstead, W. B. Burget and Joseph Raffensperger. The following were the officers elected : J. J. Hetherington, W. M\; J. E. Howe, S. W.; D. W. Marquart, J. W. The first regular convocation was held on the evening of July 20, and -the following appointments made to fill the other offices : 0. B. Hunt, treasurer; J. G. Culver, secretary; J, A. Hetherington, S. D.; W. H. Romesha, J. D.; A. J. Mears, tyler; W. B. Burget, S. S.; J. T. Harvey, J. S. The present membership is sixty-one, and the lodge is in fine condition. The present officers are as follows: A. R. Dew, W. M.; C. M. C. Spooner, S. D.; W. H. Romesha, J. W.; T. W. Bobby, T.; D. A. Hites, S.; J. D. Williams, S.”D.; E. S. Ohenoweth, J. D.; W. B. Martin, S. S.; J. J. Myers, J. S.; W. H. Anderson, tyler. Greenfield Council No. 2, 0. U. A. M., was organized under the jurisdiction of the national council, on the 31st of August, 1882, with some eighteen members. The charter bears the date of August 18, 1882, and is signed by G. H. Burton, N. C, and James N. Caldy, S. N. C, and has the names of the following charter members: W. L. Scott, H. G. Spooner, A. J. Shrader, W. H. Romesha, Adam Beck, D. A. Coy, W. 0. Carroll, D. A. Hites, 0. E. Taylor, J. C. Purvis, J. 0. Walker, James Murray, H. D. Woodman, George P. Arnold, J. W. McOormick, G. E. Inlow, 0. N. Wilson, D. D. Pettit, B. E. Keen, A. T. Gregg, R. D. Critchfield, G. T. Porter, F. Hostetler, M. B. Packer and W. E. Hetherington. The council was instituted by D. N. C. M. J. Newton, and the following first officers installed: W. 0. Carroll, C, H. D. Woodward, V. 0.; G. P. Arnold, R. S.; B. E. Keen, F. S.; A. Beck, I.; J. C. Walker, E.; .W II. Romesha, I. P.; H. G. Spooner, 0. P.; H. D. Woodward, T. The following is a list of the officers at present: W. H. Romesha, C; G. P. Arnold, V. C.: W. L. Scott, R. S.: E. P. Clouse, A. R. S.; Frank Scofield, F. S.; W. E. Patterson, 1.; D. D. Pettit, E.; M. Rivenburgh, I. P.; J. Winters, 0. P.; J. C. Wilson, E. P. Clouse and J. S. Barton, trustees. Greenfield Lodge, No. 375, of the Independent Order of Odd-Fellows, was instituted on the 30th of January, 1878, by A. L. Tullus, most worthy grand master, with the following charter members: James Patterson, P. Hillyard, A. P. Porter, J. A. Burrell, and 0. S. Burrell. The first officers were: P. Hillyard, N. G.; 0. S. Burrell, V. G.; J, J. Hetherington, secretary, and A. F. Porter, treasurer. The lodge now numbers some eighty-three members, and is in splendid financial shape. It owns between fifteen and sixteen hundred dollars’ worth of stock in the Masonic and Odd-Fellows building association. A. E. Teague, of this lodge, is the district deputy grand master of this district, and H. A. Gilbert the representative to the grand lodge. The Masonic and Oddfellows Building Association was incorporated on the 20th of February, 1883, by the two orders in question, with the following list of officers: J. J. Hetherington, president; A. E. Teague, vice-president; J. E. Hill, secretary and treasurer; F. M. Brown, J. H. F. Balderson, D. W. Marquart, J. J. Hetherington, J. N. Haddock, P. Hillyard, W. C. Libby, A. E. Teague and J. E. Howe, directors. Homer Gaines erected the first story of his elegant brick store building, and the association built the second story, with the object in view of having a lodge-room of their own at some time, although it is used as a public hall; and being handsomely decorated, and fitted with a large and well-arranged stage and appropriate scenery and drop-curtain for dramatic performances, is known as the Greenfield Opera Hall. The building is 40x66, and the part put up by the society, with the furnishing of it, cost about $5,000. The present officers of the association are as follows: J. J. Hetherington, president; A. E. Teague, vice president; J. E. Hill, secretary and treasurer; J. J. Hetherington, W, 0. Libby, A. E. Teague, D. W. Marquart, H. A. Gilbert, E. S. Ohenoweth, W. B. Martin, Robert Bruce and D. Heaton, directors. Garfield Encampment, No. 110, of the same order, was organized November 10, 1882, under the supervision of grand representative J. K. Powers, and under a dispensation granted by the R. W. G. encampment. The charter members were as follows: W. C. Libby, A. E. Teague, F. M. Brown, J. H. P. Balderson and S. Condon. The first officers elected were: W. O. Libby, C.P.; J. H. P. Balderson, H.P.; A. E. Teague, S.W.; W. P. Robinson, J.W.; F. M. Brown, S.; S. Oongdon, T. There is now a membership of twentyfive patriarchs in the camp, and it has a splendid outfit of regalia and paraphernalia, and is in good financial condition. Myers’Post No. 39, G. A. R., was organized on the 28th of April, 1881, with the following members: W. H. Romesha, M. W. Haver, J. C. Mason, J. 0. Purvis, L. 0. Elliott, Charles E. Taylor, Myron Bunce, W. P. Robinson, C, B. Hunt, H. A. Gilbert, T. A. Wilson, L. J. Gray, G. C. Havens, S. G. Long, T. M. Ewing, R. M. Quinn, C. D. Knapp, M. S. Doane, C. E. Morris, P. Letz, W. H. Anderson, A. L. Harrison, M. E. Black, J. T. Harvey, M. N. Boardman and J. A. Easton. The first post commander was W. H. Romesha, followed by W. P. Robinson, John O, Mason, and the present one, 0. D. Knapp. Legion of Honor was organized in Greenfield on the 24th of January, 1881, with the following charter members: F. H. Wilson, A. R. Dew, J. G. Goodman, Charles Arnold, M. W. Haver, J. A. Mc- Elhaney, F. P. Oulverson, J. E. Hill, W. H. Anderson, W. H. Harrison, John Derby, Charles Taylor, J. A. Easton, J. C. Trenor, John H. Storey, J. B. Heacock, J. B. Mather, J. E. Mather, N. T. Gadd, J. A. Hetherington. The first officers were as follows: F. H. Wilson, president; J. McElhaney, vice-president; N. T. Gadd, recording secretary; J. E. Hill financial secretary; J. B. Mather, treasurer; J. H. Storey, chaplain; Charles Taylor, usher; J. A. Hetherington, doorkeeper; J. W. Darby, sentinel; N. 2?. Gadd, and F. A. Wilson, representatives to Grand Lodge; J. A. McElhaney, J. B. Heacock and J. W. Darby, trustees; Dr. F. P. Culverson, medical examiner. The lodge is in good fair condition and is officered at present as follows: J. A. Hetherington, president; J. A. McElhaney, vice-president;, J. G. Goodman, recording secretary; J. A. Easton, financial secretary; J. E. Hill, treasurer; A. S. James, chaplain; A. R. Dew, usher; W. H. Anderson, doorkeeper, J. B. Mather, sentinel.
CORNET BAND. The cornet band was organized on the 19th of November, 1875, with Joseph Montgomery as leader, and the following musicians: Joseph Montgomery played the first E-flat cornet; W. D. McCollom, second E-flat; W. R. Cochrane, first B-flat; H. H. Bowman, second B-flat; A. P. Porter, third B-flat; A. R. Dew, first alto; Daniel Patterson, second alto; Corwin Jones, third alto; W. B. Burgett, first tenor; Harry Ashenfelter, second tenor; Ham. Myers, first bass; W. Ettinger, tuba; John Hayes, snare drum; James A. Hetherington, bass drum. Many changes have taken place in the lapse of years. Many have dropped from the ranks. New members have come in until there are but few of the original members who still are connected with it. The present band was organized, or rather reorganized in July, 1884, and is made up of the following excellent material: W. D. McCollom, leader and E-flat; Will Montgomery, E-flat; Sherman Devine, first B-flat; R. E. McCollom, second B-flat; Fred Hinkson, first alto; Clay Slinker, first tenor; Dr. Thomas, second tenor; H. C. Reynolds, tuba; nt Ernest Montgomery, clarionette; Clarence Hill, snare drum; John Sharp, bass drum. It is known as the “ City Cornet Band.”
MILITIA. Company B, 3d Regiment, I. N. G. This company was organized in 1879, through the exertions of C. B. Hunt, now the state senator from this district. The first officers were as follows: 0. B. Hunt, captain; Thomas H. Ruth, first lieutenant; P. Hilyard, second lieutenant, and W. H. Romesha, orderly sergeant. There are now some forty-one members of this company, and their efficiency of drill and precision of movement are quite creditable. The present officers are: W. H. Romesha, captain; R. J. Gaines, first lieutenant; 0. E. Taylor, second lieutenant; W. L. Scott, orderly sergeant; Dr. J. E. Scott, second sergeant. J. A. Patterson, one of the prominent farmers of this vicinity, came to Adair county in 1868, and settled on section 17, Greenfield township, where he now owns one hundred and sixty acres of improved land; has a large bearing orchard, a large number of Poland-China hogs, besides other stock in,general. His farm was a wild prairie when he settled upon it about sixteen years ago, but it is now one of the best and most fertile farms in the township. In September, 1861, he enlisted in Company M, 4th Illinois cavalry, and did not return until 1866. He was in the engagements at Fort Donelson, Fort Henry, Shiloh, evacuation of Corinth, siege of Vicksburg, and in several other minor ones. His regiment had a splendid record, having never been defeated. He was sent to Texas after the veteran batitalion was consolidated, and there remained until mustered out of the service. Mr. Patterson was born in Sweden, November 22, 1838, and in 1854 came to America, settling in Henry county, Illinois, where he remained until 1868, when he came to his present location. He was married in 1870, in Illinois to Miss Esther Bird. They have four children—Jesse C, Mary E., Charley G., and Ellen N. Mr. Patterson is a strict republican. John W. Leinard was born in Harrison county, Ohio, October 10, 1846, being the son of Jacob and Hester (Ruby) Leinard. He came to Winterset, Iowa, in 1852, with his parents, where he remained about twenty years, engaged in farming with his father. His parents were born in Pennsylvania but now reside in Winterset, Iowa. John received a common school education and at the age of twenty-five rented a farm in Madison county, and in 1873 came to Greenfield township, Adair county, settling on section 8, where he has seventy-six acres of improved land, on which he has a bearing orchard containing about one acre. He also owns ten acres of timber in Madison county. He was married in 1871, in Madison county, to Miss Elizabeth Smith, daughter of James and Elizabeth Smith, natives of Ohio. They have two children—Benton W. and Altha. He is a member of the Methodist church and a republican. H. B. Goodman owes his nativity to Fayette, New York, having been born there on July 4, 1837, and is the son of Benjamin and Elizabeth (Brickley) Goodman. He went to Michigan in 1866, where he was engaged in factory work for about two years, after which time he spent two years in Milwaukee and Ohi- 5H cago. He again returned to Michigan, and in 1870 came to Iowa, settling in Greenfield township, Adair county. He has eighty acres of land and a bearing orchard, and raises some graded stock. He was married in 1868, in Michigan, to Miss Alice Goodyear, who died in 1870. He was again married in 1872, to Myra Brinkerhoff, who was formerly married in Ohio. They have two children—Ernest H, and Warren R. Mr. Goodman enlisted in Company D, 148th New York infantry. He was wounded in the foot in the battle of Gettysburg, and is sometimes troubled with it, but has never as yet, applied for a pension. He has held the position of township assessor, and is a member of the Masonic order.
Samuel Reed was born in Ireland on the 13th day of August, 1832, being the son of Robert and Martha (Steel) Reed, natives of Ireland. He came to America with his parents in 1846, settling twenty one miles west of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. His father and mother both died at that point, his mother dying in 1868, and his father in 1871. Samuel remained near Philadelphia until 1861, engaged in teaming, etc., when he went to Henry county, Illinois, and engaged in farming, remaining there for ten years, when he came to Lee township, Adair county, Iowa, settling on section 4. He was married in Pennsylvania on the 25th day of December, 1851, to Jane Coneghy, the Rev. Henry Rendenbaugh officiating. They have six children living—Mattie, Allen M., Sarah, William, Christina A. and Robert J. They have had the misfortune to lose two children: Eliza and Samuel. Mr. Reed has eighty-one acres of improved land, having a bearing orchard containing nearly one acre, and has considerable small fruit. He is a member of the Presbyterian church. Of his six living children— William, Robert and Christina were born in Illinois, and Mattie, Allen and Sarah were born in Pennsylvania.
Taken from "History of Guthrie and Adair County Iowa, 1884", transcribed by Carlyss Noland