IAGenWeb Project

Adair County Iowa

USGenWeb Project


Eureka Education

"The first school in Eureka township was held in the residence of George W.Snyder, in what is now school district No.9, in the summer of 1871, by Miss Emma Snyder Trowbridge, now Mrs. Fred H.Cears. There was at that time no school building in the township.The district township was organized in the summer of 1870, and the following officers elected: Orlando Howe, G. W. Snyder, Sr., and J. R. Patter, directors; W. R. Snyder, treasurer; A. Wright, secretary. The present officers are as follows: M.H. Stanton, president; D. Kingrey, J. Minert, J. Smith, H. Bloomfield, J. Just, A. Root, George Rice, and J. Armstrong, directors; F. H. Stanton, secretary; and H. Bloomfield, treasurer.

School district No. 1, covering sections 1, 2, 11 and 12, had a school-house built in 1875, at a cost of $400. It is 18x26 feet in ground area. Miss Clementine Yerkes was the pioneer teacher.

School district No. 2. The first teacher was J. H. Crowley, in the school-house built in 1877. This structure is 18x26 feet in dimension, and cost some $400 to erect. The district embraces sections 3, 4, 9 and 10.

School district No. 3 embraces sections 5, 6, 7 and 8, and the first teacher in the new school-house, built in the summer of 1881, was Miss Jennie Sargent. The building is 20x28 feet in ground area.

School district No. 4 consists of sections 17, 18, 19 and 20. The school-house, which is 18x26 feet in size, was erected in 1879, at a cost of $400, and Miss Stella Madison was the first teacher. Fred H. Cear's was the first director. The pioneer school in this district was taught by Fred H. Cears, in his dwelling on section 20, in the winter of 1877.

School district No. 5. This school-house was built in 1883, at a cost of $800, and is 24x32 feet of ground area. The
district comprises sections 15, 16, 21 and 22. George Olmstead was the first teacher.

School district No. 6 embraces sections 13, 14, 23 and 24. The school-house, which is 18x26 feet in size, was erected in 1875, at a total cost of $439. James D. Law, was the first director and taught the school himself. The first school in the district was one taught by J. D. Law at his residence on section 13, in 1873 or 1874.

School district No. 7, consisting of sections 25, 36, 35 and 36, has a school-house 18x24 feet in size, which was erected in 1876 at a cost of $470. Abner Root was the director at this time and the first teacher was Miss May Faurote."

taken from "History of Guthrie and Adair County, Iowa" 1884

Please feel free to contribute information or photos to the website.
Click here to e-mail your information to me .

Thank You!


Adair County

Return to home page