Adair County Iowa
When we visited Pleasant Grove Cemetery there was a large expanse of mowed grass awaiting the visitor in the parking area. The graves of the veterans were decorated with flags, the wild clovers were like little white buttons holding down the grass, and the irises were in full bloom.
According to Adair County History 1976, "Pleasant Grove Church of Congregation denomination was organized in March, 1881. Two areas of land were purchased from J. D. McClure in the northwest corner of Section 8 lying just south of the school grounds. A building was erected the following summer at a cost of $1900.06.
William Evans laid the foundation of limestone which he and his son, Jerry, cut and hauled from the Grand River area.
A cemetery was laid out adjoining the church grounds. The first burial there was that of Loyd (spelled correctly) Chapman, the 2-week old son of John M. Chapman, in August 1881."
Click here to view a transcript of this cemetery.
Click here to go back to the cemetery index
|Pleasant Grove Congregational Church burnt down in 1993.|